Doom 3 on Xbox first

Will there be any console ports of Doom 3? (Back)

An X-Box port is all but certain, according to John Carmack. As for Dreamcast and the Playstation 2, John Carmack said the following on 8/9/00:

Depending on how our next project actually turns out, I certainly wouldn't rule out a Dreamcast version, but at 16MB of memory, whatever we do, our next project is going to be more linear in nature so it should be easier. It might be a matter of turning every mission into a half-point or something like that, but that involves much more work. It's going to be a matter of going back in and actually redesigning some of the levels. And that would be a significant undertaking--it would require new content, significantly new code architecture, and all that. Now PlayStation2 is a more interesting question, because it's halfway in between the Dreamcast and Xbox on memory, and it's got a good processor, but there are some sticking points with the graphics that are just really, really unfortunate. PlayStation2 took the tack of having the simplest graphics rasterizer that it can get and because it's all embedded DRAM it's blazingly fast on there, but there's some capabilities that just aren't there.

One of the primary functions of our next-generation technology is trying to do everything with bump-mapping and dot products, and that math just isn't there on the PlayStation2...I'm not sure if it's going to be able to do the full-impact stuff we can do on the Xbox. We could certainly do a cut-down version that will run on the PlayStation2 and Dreamcast, but it won't have the incredible next-generation graphics look that we're going to see on the next generation of PC chips.

mind you the PS2 hasnt changed a bit since 2 years while Xbox`s original graphics card was about the same as PS2 but was upgraded 10 months before its launch.

I guess it doesn't hurt that Carmack sits in some XBox panel (I don't remember which) so it makes sense that he would favor the XBox.

When i say Xbox first i mean Xbox "console"

As opposed to what other XBox?

See, now if this wasn't a 2 year old interview and maybe something Carmack said at E3 2002 then I would say that was impressive and a system seller.

But seeing as it amounts to meaning absolutely nothing as even the dreamcast is included in the conversation; this once again, as Timdorr said, is progoganda...

Well this IS from E3:

"Another hot rumor we were able to clear up was the question of an Xbox port. Some magazines had reported DOOM III could possibly be Xbox first ? or Xbox only. In actuality, DOOM III is currently being developed for the PC and PC only - there could well be an Xbox version at some point (John Carmack is a member of the Xbox advisory committee), but that decision hasn't been made yet, and probably won't be for some time."

This quote came from Gamespy's E3 coverage (of 2002, BTW:D).

You can read it all at: GameSpy.com - E3 2002 Coverage

EDIT: The quote came from page 3 of that article

EDIT: Damn you dacbo!!:D::D::D:;);)

Originally posted by timdorr

uh, that was almost 2 years ago...

i just love underground propoganda... how much did bill pay you to post this?

Why can't PS2 fanboys just accept the fact that the X-Box has better graphics capabilities than the PS2? I can notice one big difference in PS2 games and X-Box games when I play them..the difference is anti-alasing. The PS2 still has jaggy graphics(not as bad as the original PS) but the X-Box games have nice crystal clear looking graphics.

Originally posted by Zombie9920

Why can't PS2 fanboys just accept the fact that the X-Box has better graphics capabilities than the PS2? I can notice one big difference in PS2 games and X-Box games when I play them..the difference is anti-alasing. The PS2 still has jaggy graphics(not as bad as the original PS) but the X-Box games have nice crystal clear looking graphics.

which are going to get better with Xbox 2

Originally posted by neo1980

which are going to get better with Xbox 2

Exactly. ;P

I hear that the X-Box 2 is supposed to have like a 1.2ghz Athlon in it instead of the 733mhz PIII/Celemine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anti MS bigot says, "Derrr, the MS product has better features than my beloved product but the MS product sucks just because it is made by MS. Derrr, anybody who knows that the MS product is better than my beloved product was paid by MS to say so..derr herr herr."

LmFaO

I'm pretty sure that timdorr isn't a PS2 fanboy at all.

and what dacbo said, that should have been posted, that's much more relevant.

And neo1980, oh my god. I can't believe you are talking about Xbox 2. The thing hasn't even been mentioned.

Originally posted by Dazzla

I'm pretty sure that timdorr isn't a PS2 fanboy at all.

You are probably right. I've seen some posts from timdorr though and I've come to the conclusion that he is an Anti-MS Mac bigot. If you ask me, if someone makes a good product, why be against it?

I like MS products and I'm not an Apple hater(they aren't my preffered machine though). I like the PS2, I like the X-Box...heck I even still like the old SNES. It doesn't matter who makes what..if a product is better, it is just simply better. End of story.

It doesn't matter who makes what..if a product is better, it is just simply better. End of story.

good man

its like music...

bandA puts out a song, and you cant stand it, even with its poppy catchy tune that can get stuck in your head, you hate the band and everything that they stand for, so you wont put up with their crap music. but you still acknowledge them as musicians.

could also be,

BandB puts out a song and you cant stand it, it doesnt have any catchy songs at all, and you hate everything that they stand for. you wont put up with their crap music or their crap monopoly....err... woops..and you wont acknowledge them as anything but idea stealing ######.

i hate ms, i hate steve jobs, i hate the xbox, i dont hate macs. if i hate something, its because i hate it, not because i hate the company that makes it. people keep calling everybody and their mother a fan boy because they will stand up for their friggin feelings towards something. guess what.... people can rightfully dislike a console based purly on their own opinion of that console.

doomIII will own...and it will be on my pc.... put it on xbox and it wont run half as good. xbox, xbox2... yippy doodah... if xbox 2 proves a good console, with good games, and a friggin better controller, mebbe my views will be changed.

i dont consider halo or any of the xbox games to be system sellers. they dont bring me back to my child hood... remembering the good old days of video games, hte classics.

i love nintendo. gamecube im FAIRLY happy with... tho i think they could have had a better bunch of release titles, i eagerly await metroid, zelda, starfox, mariocart, and whatever else may come my way.

i dun really like sony. but i like PS, and PS2.... they have solid games.

still like my pc the best.

I hear that the X-Box 2 is supposed to have like a 1.2ghz Athlon in it instead of the 733mhz PIII/Celemine.

that's not true. if xbox2 will remain compatible w/ xbox(1) it can't have athlon cpu. you'd know that ify ou read some xboxsdk docs

don't forget that the X-Box was released over a year after the PS2 launch... so that gives it an extra year of new hardware that the PS2 doesn't have.

we all know how much hardware changes within a few months, let alone a year.

Some other interesting tidbits that Willits revealed were that Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor did the music and sound for the E3 demo and that he and id Software are currently in negotiations to do the music for the final game. Willits also said that id has no current plans to do an Xbox port of Doom III, though the game could hypothetically run on Microsoft's hardware.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/...2867387,00.html

:ermm:

You are probably right. I've seen some posts from timdorr though and I've come to the conclusion that he is an Anti-MS Mac bigot. If you ask me, if someone makes a good product, why be against it?

I like MS products and I'm not an Apple hater(they aren't my preffered machine though). I like the PS2, I like the X-Box...heck I even still like the old SNES. It doesn't matter who makes what..if a product is better, it is just simply better. End of story.

hehe. have you guys got me wrong or what? :D

I'm currently a fanboy of both PS2 and GC. I do play my PS2 more often, but that's cause I have way more games for it than GC.

I'm not an MS-hater per se, I just don't agree with their tactics for totally market(/world?) domination. I've been running XP since the betas (you know, the usual story) and love it like my own son (not that I have one, mind you). I find it quite stable, useful, and providing all the features I need. However, come this fall, I will own both a Mac and PC, and expect to be spending a lot more time on the mac than the PC. Why? I like the feature set, it's BSD based which makes me drool, it's purdy, and, frankly, it's cool to run. I'll still keep my windows box beside it, which I'm upgrading this summer (i'm coming to the realization, I'm not going to have any deskspace this year...), and still plan to use it for games, httpd, ftpd, and other, windows-only stuff at the very least...

Finally, I do agree it's not who makes the product, but how well it performs, but that's my problem with XBox becuase I'm not impressed with the full product, which includes it's lackluster software library and horrible controllers (personal opinion). Plus, I still have that hating coporate MS thing in the back of my mind to chew on (wonder why I've never bought an MS product except my mouse... ;) ). Note: Developers != Corporate, they just have close ties...

So, in conclusion, I like cheese.

I'm not an MS-hater per se, I just don't agree with their tactics for totally market(/world?) domination

And what do you call sony's tactics in the console maket?