[NHL] Players or Owners?

Players or Owners?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Players or Owners?

• Owners
    • Players
    • Don't care, hope the NHL never comes back

as much as i wish it was the owners, im going to have to blame the NHLPA. For too long players have been overpaid for skills that are par with peewee level leagues, players are expecting NFL like salaries even if teams and the league cant even find a decent TV contract or any publicity beyond the cities of the original 6 teams and the other 4 Canadian teams. Lets face it, NHL is probably below tennis in popularity, players expect too much, people barely show up to games and games are just boring now. On RDS there was a stat that showed differences between today and 10years ago when there were 4x less shutouts, more than a handful of 50 goal scorers (compared to none last year), more 100pt scorers. The owners have taken on the burden, when they're losing the $ the only people benefitting are the players, i dont see how we could blame the owners. The only thing id blame Bettman for is expanding to Carolina, Nashville and Miami

as much as i wish it was the owners, im going to have to blame the NHLPA.  For too long players have been overpaid for skills that are par with peewee level leagues, players are expecting NFL like salaries even if teams and the league cant even find a decent TV contract or any publicity beyond the cities of the original 6 teams and the other 4 Canadian teams. Lets face it, NHL is probably below tennis in popularity, players expect too much, people barely show up to games and games are just boring now.  On RDS there was a stat that showed differences between today and 10years ago when there were 4x less shutouts, more than a handful of 50 goal scorers (compared to none last year), more 100pt scorers.  The owners have taken on the burden, when they're losing the $ the only people benefitting are the players, i dont see how we could blame the owners.  The only thing id blame Bettman for is expanding to Carolina, Nashville and Miami

585445700[/snapback]

I agree with everything you said. I mean, what kind of crack are the players smoking? How can they expect so much? I think the league has been pretty fair. The players don't seem to give a damn about the league as a whole and just want thier money, even if it means brining down the small market teams. With the leagues plan, every team would have a chance to compete. The players are just being selfish, plain and simple.

as much as i wish it was the owners, im going to have to blame the NHLPA.  For too long players have been overpaid for skills that are par with peewee level leagues, players are expecting NFL like salaries even if teams and the league cant even find a decent TV contract or any publicity beyond the cities of the original 6 teams and the other 4 Canadian teams. Lets face it, NHL is probably below tennis in popularity, players expect too much, people barely show up to games and games are just boring now.  On RDS there was a stat that showed differences between today and 10years ago when there were 4x less shutouts, more than a handful of 50 goal scorers (compared to none last year), more 100pt scorers.  The owners have taken on the burden, when they're losing the $ the only people benefitting are the players, i dont see how we could blame the owners.  The only thing id blame Bettman for is expanding to Carolina, Nashville and Miami

585445700[/snapback]

You hit the nail on the head my friend.

i don't even know who to blame, i just know that it's really sad, and we'll be lucky if hockey is ever the same again. if not, hopefully espn will cover some more college hockey.

I don't really care what happens to the NHL, but this is clearly the players' fault. They don't want to lose money due to the salary cap. It's about time they try to even each team with a cap.

Im not too informed on this topic but I'd like to slip in that the players are doing something brave... They are losing millions of dollars by not playing right now. money they will never get back for years. It would be so easy for them to just agree and get back to playing, but they are deciding on not getting paid at all and standing up for their views.

Regardless of your stance on the subject, I think you'd have to agree that its a pretty couragous and determined thing that the players are doing.

my opinion was always that hockey was the one sport that wasn't all bling-bling and big contracts, and that was because everyone involved loved the game, and tahts all that matttered. boy was i naive.

The players definately. The owners got themself into this mess in the first place. They KNEW this would happen, that's why they stockpiled like 100 million dollars for the work stoppage. The players will end up losing though.... But on the other hand, I just want hockey to come back, no matter who wins.

I don't really care what happens to the NHL, but this is clearly the players' fault.  They don't want to lose money due to the salary cap.  It's about time they try to even each team with a cap.

585448784[/snapback]

They might have started it that way but I know a few weeks back the players offered to take some serious pay cuts so that a deal could get worked out and the owners just thumbed their noses at them... :crazy:

Dont care, hope the NHL never comes back.

my exact works, sorry hockey fans but this a canadian sport only.

*waits for flaming*

Well in this case I'd say the owners are waaaaay out of line.

Though I think sports players in general need to get a ****ing clue and stop expecting multi-million dollar salaries

Its rediculous that you have to pay like $80 to take your family to a freaking sportsgame :no:

Dont care, hope the NHL never comes back.

my exact works, sorry hockey fans but this a canadian sport only.

*waits for flaming*

585449231[/snapback]

Yes, that was a pretty stupid thing to say, seeing as 4/5 of the NHL franchises are in the States, plus there are some big hockey markets down there, such as Minnesota and Detroit. Anyway, I blame both sides. The owners let contracts get out of control while the players are greedy ******s. I'd hate to agree with Bettman, but the NHL needs a salary cap, similar to the NFL's.

The players definately. The owners got themself into this mess in the first place. They KNEW this would happen, that's why they stockpiled like 100 million dollars for the work stoppage. The players will end up losing though.... But on the other hand, I just want hockey to come back, no matter who wins.

585448957[/snapback]

What does it matter if the owners got themselves into this mess? It's their teams and do they not have the right to fix the problem??

Well in this case I'd say the owners are waaaaay out of line.

Though I think sports players in general need to get a ****ing clue and stop expecting multi-million dollar salaries

Its rediculous that you have to pay like $80 to take your family to a freaking sportsgame :no:

585449282[/snapback]

Why do you think you're paying 80$ a game? It's not the owners fault they need to charge that much to break even or lose (less) money. The T.V. ratings for hockey suck so wait until there is no major contract in the U.S for television rights. Then, you will be paying 500$ a ticket so some loser can make 8 million a year. Anyone on the players side is out to lunch.

Both sides are too blame.

The Players have gotten too greedy, but it's the owners who made them that way.

Teams like NY Rangers especially, where they have paid almost Billions on all these free agents, trying to buy the Cup.

I would NOT like to see NHL hockey this year, most of players are in europe

and chance of them playing for a shortened season are slim.

I say write this season off.

Afterwards they NHLPA & NHL should hammer out a 7-10yr agreement, then have

Both Bettman & Goodennow resign from their positions.

Also would like to see some changes in the way the game is played, less fighting

for one, fighting is getting out of control.

Ultimately it's us the fans who end up getting screwed either way this lockout ends.

:yes:

I believe the players when they say that the owners had all the tools they needed to protect themselves (walk away from arbitration, don't overpay 31 year old free agents, etc...)

The owners need a salary cap to protect against their own stupidity. There is a world of a difference between the NJ Devils and the NY Rangers operation. One has been successful at winning on a modest budget while they other has been attempting to purchase a Stanley Cup since 1995 and most of the time they don't even make the playoffs.

Thus I believe in the players.

What does it matter if the owners got themselves into this mess? It's their teams and do they not have the right to fix the problem??

585452236[/snapback]

They MADE the problem!! The owners constantly drove up prices and messed everything up.

man, im in development for an NHL site. ive always loved NHL, and to ruin such a great thing, they are stupid. i hope it gets settled, for the sake of hockey! i dont wanna be stuck watching AHL :( its a terrible thing what is happening. btw, i dont care who is right, I JUST WANT MY HOCKEY BACK!

They MADE the problem!! The owners constantly drove up prices and messed everything up.

585471463[/snapback]

I KNOW they MADE the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(as I already stated)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now, fix it!!!!!!!!!!! I have no sympathy for players making 5 million a year, sorry.

The players caved and are offering a 24% salary cut and salary cap to protect against future increases and that's still not enough for the owners. I don't see how anybody could side with Gary Bettman and company...