Do Finger Guards on FAns Restrict Airflow?

I thik they do, but isn't it some you can replace them with easily Isn't it somewhat unsafe? Is there anything that I can replace it with?

P.S. I really think my ouittake fan grills are badly designed.

And also, in a lot of cases, there aren't any openings in the front. How do the air intake come in?

well they obviously do, to some extent as there is a solid material infront of the fan, so air particals collide with it. But you will hardly see a differece if you took it off.

It is worse to have dust build up on your computer components because the dust will keep alot of heat in. I would keep the grills on because they don't restrict much air.

^?:rofl:: pretty powerful fan to suck your fingers in. You will not really notice a difference if they are not there, I would just keep them

585453506[/snapback]

The fingers or the grilles?;)) I think I'd notice if my fingers were gone:laugh::

And to your last question, I have a question and an answer:

Q: What type of case do you have?

A: If there is anywhere that you could drill some holes then that'd help. My old case had a spot that had microscopic little holes and I got out my handy craftsman drill w/ 3/64" bit and drilled them all larger. My case actually stayed cooler after that:))

There is usually an intake on the front, but it's not very obvious (or effective, but it doesn't really matter since it's just an intake). The metal frame has holes on the front side and the plastic covering for it usually has some kind of filter, holes, shafts, etc. to allow air to pass through.

And yes, keep that finger guard on. You could lose a bit of finger, or even worse, a fan blade! :p

I'd sure like to know what kind of fans you guys are using... i've NEVER lost a finger, a bit of finger, a nose, etc with my little plastic fans... you guys must have some industrial @ss fans going on...

^  :rofl: pretty powerful fan to suck your fingers in. You will not really notice a difference if they are not there, I would just keep them

585453506[/snapback]

lmao. from sticking extraneous objects into the fan. there. :laugh:

fan grills don't cut down airflow that much, and the amount if probably insignificant.

i have found that fans with grills on create a more whine noise then fans without, so whenever i can i run it without the grill.

and there are fans that cut you horribly. i had a 120mm switch cooling fan, that i by accident slipped my finger, and the damn thing cut it so deep that i bled forever.

well you could replace them with mesh wire

also fans will NOT cut off your finger, however theyll make a deep, painful cut

585455360[/snapback]

if they are industrial, then they will ;)

well you could replace them with mesh wire

also fans will NOT cut off your finger, however theyll make a deep, painful cut

585455360[/snapback]

what about a 4000RPM 120mm fan :|

i have a fan grill AND a fan filter on one of my intake fans and it u wont notice any kind of temperature differnce with it on other than no clogging it up with dust... and as for your intake question if there is no fan to take it in are then none gets it. :) if u have a dremmel tool u can drill a hole for an intake fan or side intake. also about the fan danger... lol... i got my finger caught in my 5000 rpm heatsink fan and it didnt cut me. hurt like a ***** but it just stopped the fan. thier not deadly. lol.

I'd say keep one on the CPU fan if you are always in your computer while its on. I'm telling you this because i was goofing around in mine one day and i wasn't paying attention and my finger slept into fan and it broke off 2 of the 13 fins. It kept running but it had the worst vibration EVER. i went 2 days w/o a computer :(