WindizUpdate

Anyone actually run this and not had their harddrives formatted? :p

I dunno, I'm not to comfortable with a non-authorized site asking for access to registry keys and what not.

I've been running it with no problems.

I do mostly download updates manually from the MS Download Center though, so it doesn't leave much for Windiz Update to, well, update. :)

Anyone actually run this and not had their harddrives formatted? :p

I dunno, I'm not to comfortable with a non-authorized site asking for access to registry keys and what not.

585591542[/snapback]

We have to agree with you there: one should be cautious when trying out these things - We don't like free downloads that immediately install Adware and other nasties, either.

One suggestion we have is to try it out first on a test machine, that is isolated from the rest of your network.

At least it does ask you.

BTW, the plugin does not contain any code to wipe hard drives, or files, or clear cmos chips.

Im keeping well away from this..

I'd rather just use IE for 10 minutes to get any updates, or download them of Technet.

585481760[/snapback]

I agree :no:

• 3 months later...

Hi Everybody

I think WindizUpdate it's a great project but i don't know why it's not working with me.

I installed the plugin in Opera 8 final and Mozilla Firefox 1.04. But when i enter in http://windowsupdate.62nds.com and try to scan, the percentage always stay in 0%

:cry:

My OS is Windows98SE without Internet Explorer

post-114728-1118939588_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok, here is the skinny on Windiz Update, and it's good news....

I used it to update a Win03 Server....

After using it, I ran my trifecta of anti-malware apps

Sophos Anti-Virus 3.96 (defs 8/1/05) - no viral instances

Ad-Aware 1.06a (defs 7/28/05) - no malware

Spybot S&D 1.4 (defs July 2005) - no malware

And btw....every anti-virus definition file in the world has virus source code in it as text. After all, they have to know what they're looking for, right?

All in all, Windiz Update passes my trust test....

This is a great idea. I can only hope that this small noname project can overcome all the trust and legal obstacles that are ahead of it and this can turn into a real and trustable way to update your Windows installations independant from Microsoft. That way we can further remove the scourge that is IE.

WindizUpdate appears to be down at this time, probably because Microsoft does not approve of anyone else handling the fairly complex update process and because WindizUpdate does not enforce WGA and doesn't pork you with the latest crap browser. Big Head Bill thinks WGA will help help his ship to float better but it's really another hole to help it sink sooner, 3 cheers for shortsightness! BHB also knows that any trustable implemention of WindowsUpdate in any other browser will spread like wildfire. Along the lines of what 62nds said, Firefox has paid for itself, bugs or no bugs. A WU tool for Firefox would be just peachy, particularly if a non lame version of SUS could be created along with it! For me, IE has been relegated to a special purpose browser only to be used only where FF does not work properly. Each responsibility we can remove from IE is one more step towards getting rid of it. I hope FF steps up to the plate and implements the non javascript menus before MS gets it done. Anything that can be done without JS, should be done without JS.

As for the virii available at the same site, I'd say that's because the skills required to crack the WindowsUpdate system to produce a working implementation in another browser are similar to those needed to generate new virii. When you get bored of making virii, you try something else and what could be more fun than single handedly taking away the responsibilty for updating windows from Microsoft? A report like that on Dognpony News would earn a lot more Respect+ than yet another ho hum virus. This is no small feat and I hope the source is already available so the losers at Microsoft can't thumpakid and sweep this one under.

It's too bad these small time narrow minded (n.i.) programmers haven't figured out that lawyers are ready and waiting and the only way to keep them at bay is to keep extra copies of the source code in safe hands and any sign of heavy handed impropriety from the big head boys and it gets loosed! We've had some recent so-called "shady" projects go down in flames and it wouldn't take too many successful implementations of this simple tactic to make those lawyers think twice about hassling anyone else.

• 1 month later...

i found a firefox extension for this somewhere where you could just go to tools and then windows update but cant seem to find it anywhere.

Really nice site and works very well... Thank u :D

this can turn into a real and trustable way to update your Windows installations independant from Microsoft.

586331361[/snapback]

Where do you think the updates come from, smart guy? Last time I checked, Microsoft was the only one updating Windows.

Anyone who can't stand to use IE for 2 minutes to run Windows Update is pathetic. You need to get over yourself and your stupid browser.

Where do you think the updates come from, smart guy?  Last time I checked, Microsoft was the only one updating Windows.

Anyone who can't stand to use IE for 2 minutes to run Windows Update is pathetic.  You need to get over yourself and your stupid browser.

586503329[/snapback]

Actually, I just want to figure out why IE thinks some services aren't running that need to be to run the update. I have checked services.msc and they are running.

Not worth the effort to fix, I'll just keep my firewall running, not use IE elsewhere, and not worry. If I get real ambitious, I'll run autopatcher.

it's great, used it today with opera 8.01 ... (don't want to bloat my ffox with useless extensions... )

it even keeps the downloaded "KB...*" files on the hdd, so update is a lot easier when i reinstall windoz ...