Neatgear WGT624 v2

My dad wanted to network the 750k Internet from NTL.

We looked up routers from local suppler and read reviews. We found that the NetGear Wgt624 had a mixed review so we went with it.

After reading the yellow Setup instructions that came with the router to set it up. I was able to get it up and running in 5 mins.

When I first used IE with the router I was prompted by the ntl login screen to register the MAC address, after doing this the Internet worked fine.

No problems with ftp servers, msn, mirc.

After hard wiring my computer to the wiring I wanted to set up the wireless for the laptop card on all laptops we got, and also my parents pc.

The software for the WG511U card was easy to install, I first ran the software installation it only asked for the location, after this I plug in the pcmica card.

It asked for the drivers so it did a search and found the drivers that have just been installed.

The wireless network was ready to be used.

I scanned for the wireless network and found mine, I was able to connect.

The Internet worked first time.

But I knew I had to secure the network so I enabled WAP, changed the SSID, Router password and soon to just allow only selected MAC address.

I now had to connected to the network with the select security features, it connected first time and speed was still the same, I later did the same to my parents pc with a netgear pci card.

The signal for the laptop is strong throughout the whole house, my parents pc on the other hand says it's signal is low yet the speed is still quick, but this is no problem we are moving to a smaller house soon.

Overall I'm impressed with the router and the ease of use with its control panel.

For the router with a pcmica card and pci card it came to ?170 and well spent my whole family is happy they got fast Internet rather then 56k.

I strongly suggest this router to new people who wish to network their Internet.

Personally I'm hardly going to network the computers together to share files much. As unknown virus, which could be on any of the pcs, may spread, and it may leave other computers open to attack.

Personally I still use a software firewall for even more protection. Just incase. Can't lack in security now can you?

8/10

currently had no problems with the router it self such as drop outs or reboots.

i will post back if i have any problems that i have had

The WGT624 is a good router and a bargain for anyone that's interested in the UK for only ?69.99 from PC World online (?5 p&p)

Netgear also do the same router (Model WGT634U) that has a USB port built into it so you can plug in a USB Hard drive/Memory Stick and thus read/write data to it from anywhere in the world by using your IP address.

Go Netgea:):)