Canon PowerShot A400 3.2 MegaPixel [review]

Canon PowerShot A400

This is a budget camera coming in at a price between $140-180. Here are the specs from canons website along with what the camera looks like.

Type of Camera

Compact digital still camera with built-in flash and 2.2x Optical/3.2x Digital/7x Combined Zoom

Image Capture Device

Type

3.2 M pixels, 1/3.2 inch Charge Coupled Device (CCD)

Total Pixels

Approx. 3.3 Million

Effective Pixels

Approx. 3.2 Million

Lens

Focal Length

5.9 (W) - 13.2 (T) mm f/3.8 (35mm film equivalent: 45-100mm)

Digital Zoom

3.2x

Focusing Range

Normal AF: 1.5 ft./47cm to Infinity

Macro AF: 2 in.-1.5 ft/5-47cm (WIDE), 1 ft-1.5 ft/30-47cm(TELE)

Autofocus System

9-point AiAF/1-point AF (Fixed to center)AF-assist Beam On/Off

Viewfinders

Optical Viewfinder

Real-image optical zoom viewfinder

LCD Monitor

1.5 inch low-temperature polycrystalline silicon TFT color LCD (w/vari-angle function)

LCD Pixels

Approx. 115,000 pixels

LCD Coverage

100%

Aperture and Shutter

Maximum Aperture

f/3.8 (W/T

Shutter Speed

1 - 1/1500 sec.

Exposure Control

Sensitivity

AUTO, ISO 50/100/200/400 equivalent

Light Metering Method

Evaluative / Center-weighted aerage / Spot* *Metering frame with Spot mode is center fixed.

Exposure Control Method

Program AE

Exposure Compensation

+/- 2 stops in 1/3 stop increments

ND Filter

Not Available

White Balance

White Balance Control

Auto, Pre-set (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H), or Custom

Flash

Built-in Flash

Operation Modes: Auto On/Off, Red-Eye Reduction is available

Flash Range

NORMAL: 47cm-2m/1.5-6.6 ft. (W/T)

MACRO: 30 - 47cm/1 ft -1.5 ft (When sensitivity is set to Auto)

Recycling Time

Approx. 10 sec. or less (battery voltage=3.0V)

Flash Exposure Compensation

Not Available

Shooting Specifications

Shooting Modes

Auto, Manual, Stitch Assist, Movies, Special Scene (Portrait, Night Scene, Foliage, Snow, Beach, Fireworks, Underwater, Indoor)

Photo Effects

Off, Vivid, Neutral, Low Sharpening, Sepia and Black & White

Self-Timer

Activates shutter after an approx. 10 sec. or approx. 2 sec. delay

Wireless Control

Not Available

Continuous Shooting

Approx. 1.3 shots/sec.

Image Storage

Storage Media

SD Memory Card

Print Order Format

Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) Version 1.1 Image transfer is not available

Image Recording Format

Exif 2.2 (JPEG)

JPEG Compression Mode

SuperFine, Fine, Normal

Number of Recording Pixels

Still Image: 2,048x1,536 (Large), 1,600x1,200 (Medium 1), 1,024x768 (Medium 2), 640x480 pixels (Small)Postcard Date Imprint Mode: 1,600x1,200 (Compression is set to Fine)

canon5_2_small.jpg

canon5_5_small.jpg

Design

This camera comes in 5 colors. Green, Silver, Blue, and Gold. The camera is not the thinest thing around. It's about 1.1 inches thick.. The Power button is located on the top behind the Shutter. On the Back as shown, you got a TFT screen as well as the controls and ports for hookup. The lens does come out when the camera is in the proper mode. It also has a built in lens cover.

Whats in the Box

1. PowerShot A400 Body

2. Wrist Strap WS-200

3. SD Memory Card SDC-16M

4. 2 AA-type Alkaline Batteries

5. Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM

6. ArcSoft Camera Suite CD-ROM

7. Interface Cable IFC-400PCU

8. AV Cable AVC-DC300

You don't need ArcSofts Camera Suite as you can import pictures via Windows or Canons own software which is provided. It comes with English and Spanish Documentation.

Ease Of Use

This is not the easiest camera in the world. I don't like having to hold down the shutter to take a pix. Just pressing it turns Auto focus on and off I believe. Menus can also be a pain to navigate sometimes. The symbols on the screen can be confusing at times also. Luckily Canon provided good docs for me to understand this stuff. Setting the different modes is very easy with control dial and hook up to the pc is easy as well. No drivers are needed for this Camera.

Picture Quality

I was actually suprised at the quality of this camera. It takes very good pix despite having a weak optical zoom. It has a Macro Mode which helps keep quality up for those close up shots. I would suggest not using the Flash close up as it will cause a glare making the image useless. It has a couple modes for location like Snow, Foliage, Night, Beach, Fireworks, Underwater, & Indoor. I have yet to test these.

Batterys & Storage

As with all digital cameras, this eats up batterys too. The camera came with 2 Alkine batterys which lasted for about 10 pix and 2 videos. I highly suggest getting rechargable NiMh batterys for this Camera! Don't buy the batterys/charger from canon either. They charge more for that stuff. This camera does have a DC In port, but Amazon.com left me nowhere for 3rd party DC Adapters. Again Canon charges way to much for one. (About 30 bucks). In some cases there pricing schemes are worse than Apple.

This Camera takes Secure Digital memory. I had a 64MB Secure Digital card from previous months so thats what turned me on to this camera. This camera comes with a 16MB card, enough to hold 8 images in SuperFine mode. They should just include 32 or 64MB cards with Cameras, there only a few bucks more. I plan on upgrading the storage myself to either 256MB or 512MB. These will set you back $20-40

Movie Mode

This Camera features a movie mode and has a built in Mic. The Quality in my opinion is below par in this area. The movie is grainy and has low quality. Mic works fairly good. BTW, it records the movie in AVI format.

Software

I installed Canons software which is easy to use. Canons software opens up right after you set the camera to view mode. You thus are given choices to download the pix to your My Pictures Folder. You can do basic editing from this program like contract, brightness, etc. It's a decient program and take it over ArcSofts software. I have yet to figure out how to get it in webcam mode.

Overview

For this price this is a good camera. It has good features for a budget camera and is aimed for beginners like me. I highly recomend this Camera.

Pros

Good image quality

Nice LCD

Cheap

Good Features

Cons

Bad Battery Life

Weak Flash

Cumbersome Menus

Pix

http://adamb10.com/cam/IMG_0114.JPG

http://adamb10.com/cam/IMG_0113.JPG