[Poll] Kde VS Gnome

Kde Vs Gnome  

879 members have voted

1. 1. Kde Vs Gnome

• Kde
    • Gnome
    • Other (please post)

I'm not sure really. I like gnome's more simple looks, but I also really like KDEs eye candy. Depends what mood I'm in really.

I also really like fluxbox too.

I can't remember if I replied or not, but Gnome for me. It's simple, things just work, and they seem to have a purpose and direction. Menus and options aren't overly complicated and it's simple and pretty. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
flux is my choice next would be gnome I hated it at first but after trying it I perfered it over kiddyE i mean KDE

586548203[/snapback]

What do u mean with kiddyE? :alien:

i think that was a lame attempt at altering a product name and making it funny. kinda like m$ or microsucks. just nod your head and look the other way :)

Fluxbox for me, not Gnome or KDE.

Gnome is too big, even though my computer can handle it, I like simplicity.

KDE is just plain ugly. Too shiny, and it just doesn't look good.

Clint

Wow, this just won't die.

Yes, I know this post is helping to keep it alive but:

On my Desktop: Gentoo/KDE. I hate the default KDE, but reconfigured it works and looks beautifully. KDE's power is in it's configurability.

On my Laptop: Debian/Gnome-Fluxbox. Gnome has a nice default setup, and tends to get "hmmm... interesting" from passerbys. But Fluxbox is probably the most efficient setup for a laptop (or maybe WindowMaker, still haven't tried).

In a head-to-head match based on some meaningless statistic, KDE would win IF the user has enough expertise and time to configure it. There are some really dumb decissions made that make that tough though.

Of course, it really depends on the use: User, Power User, Developer, Gamer, GUI Designer, Kernel hacker, Scientist, etc.

IMO, to the User: Gnome

Power User: KDE

Gamer: Wha....?

Developer: Depends on language, and whether they really give a f*ck. Usually Emacs people (all the dev's I know use Emacs).

GUI Designer: KDE (Qt is a great toolset for Designers)

Kernel hacker: X? What's X?

Scientist: CDE does the job on my Sparc, why try anything else?

To the guy who really wants to use a BSD because it isn't Linux but hasn't tried yet: Fluxbox, WindowMaker, or other obscure corner.

• 2 weeks later...

i like KDE, XFCE and Gnome,

i have XFCE and gnome in my machine, gnome- hebrew support and trying stuff if they will work on XFCE, XFCE- for daily use.

KDE- i used it when i got linspire and mandrake/driva, liked it, looks very nice, but its more for educational stuff, it has it all! Koffice and all this stuff..

I tried Fluxbox to see how the smaller WM's were and haven't left. Fluxbox loads quickly, has supreme customization, and has *never* broken on me, neither stalling or slowing down at all. The freenode channel helps a lot if you have any trouble, and Fluxbox compiles in a few minutes.

I got tired of a desktop too, I load everything from the menu and I make my own menu's too. It's extremely simple, yet complicated enough to let you play around and be happy with the results.

I'd reccommend Fluxbox to anyone, but if I had to choose between KDE or Gnome, I would choose Gnome. Although I am hooked by the KDE eyecandy, it's overly bloated in some places and takes longer to compile. Gnome has a more basic and straightforward design to it, and in that respect it's like Fluxbox.

Though, I can run pretty much all KDE programs from Fluxbox too, a nice little advantage.

Edited by wizardx

why is there other and why are people saying stuff like xfce and E. kde and gnome are DE (desktop environments) and all others are WM (Window Managers) its like comparing apples to tires.

why is there other and why are people saying stuff like xfce and E. kde and gnome are DE (desktop environments) and all others are WM (Window Managers) its like comparing apples to tires.

586741105[/snapback]

Ummm... Could it be because the third option of the poll is "Other (please post)"? :rofl:

586741105[/snapback]

This poll should be for desktop environments only

Because GNOME and KDE are both desktop environments, providing a window manager (metacity and kwin respectively), a panel (gnone-panel or kicker) and an integrated file browser (Nautilus or konqueror). Window managers usually just have a right-click menu and maybe some sort of pager, and that's what makes them minimal.

Oh, and I vote for GNOME.

• 4 weeks later...

this conversation will go in circles.. it comes down to what you want to use on your computer. USER PREFERENCE. I've used KDE, and Gnome (other too but..),, Currently i am using Gnome with Ubuntu. both of them do what needs to be done. and all can use customization to make them work better for you. right? Use what works for you! :)

586741105[/snapback]

maybe also because Xfce IS a desktop environment?

desktop environments, providing a window manager (metacity and kwin respectively), a panel (gnone-panel or kicker) and an integrated file browser (Nautilus or konqueror).

That description is good for Xfce too, it has a file manager (xffm or thunar) a WM, a panel... I think its safe to say xfce is a DE and not a WM

well now i use xp system and looking at linux gui i see the most important topic about them is the speed of wroking

well i love the gnome look but it ....well sometimes it silt up a little bit

kde is very good and develop faster then gnome but still kde has several annoying things

on my pc the xp going faster that kde and gnome on fc4 :crazy:

I'm going back and forth between Gnome and XFCE. The only complaint I have about XFCE is that for some odd reason amaroK doesn't show up in my menu under Sound & Video, yet does in Gnome. Maybe has to do something with when I was trying to remove all traces of KDE from my system... but why not Gnome?