Digi Memo A501

Im a gadget head and when I see a gadget that I think can help me Im going to try it out *insert a tablet pc*. Now whilst I have my laptop laying around the house I dont feel the need to lug it to lectures and the like because its simply not usefull, this is where a friend of mine showed me just how usefull a tablet pc could be.

I considered my options and found that apart from getting a touch screen (which was pretty darn expensive and would be wierd to write on) I was out of luck.

However searching around the internet the otherday I came across the Acecad Digi Memo A501, a digital writing pad and decided to give it a go.

Some quick background on the product, its roughly a standard a5 size writeable area (roughly 5.9x8.3) and runs on 4 AAA batteries with a rough lifespan of 100 hours. The pad has a base memory of about 8mb and has a type 1 compact flash slot for any more space that you need, the maximum number of pages that can be stored is 999 pages.

The pen is battery operated, with a life span of 14 months and you get 2 spare ink cartidges for the pen which are stored in the pad.

The box

All the items

The pad

This is unlike a normal drawing tablet as it is not made to work with paint programs and the like but is used to store writing and sketches away from the computer that can then be imported sorted and dealt with digitally.

Installation of software

The program

The program is pretty simple and you can even create things on the computer and export them to the device for storage as well as editing the existing drawings with ease :)

The installation is easy and when the tablet is hooked up to the pc it comes up as two removable devices G:/ and H:/ for me (internal and CF card memory)

I gave it a quick whirl when I got it

The sketch

The positives:

- Its light

- its battery operated and can come with me

- it comes with refills for the pen

- expandable memory

the negative points in my mind would be:

- There should have been more refills or it should have used normal pens

- use with a computer would have been nice ratehr than just uploading and downloading

Overall I think the pad is pretty great, it reads my movements really well and its easy to convert the digital file to an image and send it to your mates or use as a backup for your lecture notes. if you find it hard to keep track of all your notes and diagrams, this is probably a good option for you and it makes it easy to share notes around with mates :)

Product website

Edited by EnIgMa-PenGuIn

good review

and amazed at the quality of the sketch (in terms of how well the tablet picked it up....)

and update this when the battery dies and how long you used it for before that happened

also you forgot to mention can pick up data through 120 sheets thick