Help, using Mac Bluetooth Keyboard on PC?

Hello to all,

Yeepee I also manged to get my Apple wireless Keyboard to work on my PC very well (4hours non-stop thought).

For info I have a BlueTooth USB Dongle running WIDCOMM drivers ver 1.4.2.8

I would just like to add some more info in there :

- First of all I've never did install a BlueTooth device before that so I would like to add an important step there.

About point n?2 : you have to use 2 Keyboards, for sure you need your Apple Wireless Keyboard(AWKB) + another one that is working well to type in the PIN when pairing.

About point n?3 : I had exactly this problem but there is a solution after a reboot only when you choose to add a new Bluetooth device, just before clicking on detect, turn on your AWKB, it should be detected properly else go back then turn off your AWKB then try again until it detects your AWKB.

As soon as it is detected do not wait for the search for new devices to end : select the Apple keyboard in the list of detected devices then hit next as speed as possible.

You're now on the screen where you have to pair your AWKB to the computer, you have to be quick (i tried many timings believe me) remove the random number and enter with your other keyboar1111 i>then right after clicking on the button to start the pairing use your Apple Wireless KB to blind inpu1111 Enteri> it should detect it.

If you still have problems I noticed that it's better to input the digits from the numpad on the AWKB (because you have to hold shift to access other digits).

For some reason on some computers the Enter key either is the one from the numpad either it is the main Enter key.

2 - It's important to enter something different that 0000 if you have to login using ctrl+alt+suppr. because you won't be able to put that value in PinCodeWord. I also want to add that PinCodeWord is a Dword value you have to create.

3 - I found a very interesting program named autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) this one is a little jewel.

Scriptable remapping of all keyboards keys !! Woohoo

You can even have it to turn scripts to executables that mean you don't even have to install the soft to benefit of the remapping.

For now I remapped :

F13 to launch an app

F14 F15 F16 are Mute | Vol- | Vol+

I even phisically switch the F buttons with the Vol buttons so the illusion of controlling sound is perfect.

There's also a small OnScreenDisplay that pops up to show you the volume status each time you push Vol+ or Vol-. I told you thatthing was sweet !!!

= (numpad one) still nothing

Hope it helps,

Answer here if you want to test the my key mapping I'll put the exe online.

Can you tell me where you found the 1.4.2.8 driver? I can only find the 4.x and 5.x drivers...

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody, I'm trying to install applw wireless keyboard with dlink dbt-122, widcomm driver 5.1.0.

I connected succesfully mighty mouse, but not the same with the keyboard. I tryed the pin trick (1111/1...) but i didn't work.

Can someone help me?

Thank you in advance

Sharon

• 1 month later...

Buenos dias amigos y amigas,

This is the most comprehensive discussion I could find regarding the pairing problem for apple wireless keyboard (AWKB) and a PC with XP Pro SP2.

I have been trying to get a Belkin F8T013 BT USB adapter to connect the AWKB to my Toshiba laptop for a week now. I think I have tried all the install and pairing tricks described in this forum but I still stall at the security connection (grey) box. At least that final stage of the process responds when I tap <RETURN> on the AWKB.

The problem may be that I am not disabling the MS BT stack, but I found the instructions about this a little but unclear. Also, after instalation, the device driver properties describe my BT driver as 'Broadcomm', rather than 'Widcomm', but I am wondering if they are the same now because the Broadcomm site appears to be a parent company for Widcomm software?

So if anyone is able to post a few more helpful suggestions I would be indebted.

Peace,

jasonm

• 1 month later...

I am trying to install the apple bluetooth keyboard on my IBM thinkpad T61 with XP SP2. I tried the regedit trick w/ the 1111 but as soon as I hit "return" on the MWKB I just get a message that there was an error connecting. I did get it to connect once and the computer said connected but the keys didnt work when I tried typing. Anyone else get this to work? I have restarted a few times after the regedit and still got nothing. Anyone?!

• 1 month later...

I have a Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705 and almost had everything working with the internal BT 355 little micro pci card from Dell (it's a broadcomm 2045) ...

running Windows XP SP2 (fricken media center edition, not my choice)

I have 3 bt devices that I need to have working, the AWKB of course , a Logitech V470 bt travel mouse, and my cell phone (BlackBerry Pearl 8100) for internet connection - > note: you must have a data package to use the phone as a tethered bt device (Dial Up Networking), if not you will have trouble.

my phone just stopped being able to pair one day out of the blue, so I trouble-shot it and in the process somehow totally messed up my BT 355 internal card - blue light on laptop would not come on for nothing , not even using all the posted info here and elsewhere (I think one of my tries may have re-flashed the firmware which caused the device to be recognized as something else), anyhow, I decided to go out and get a USB dongle and decided on the Kensington Micro Adapter --> http://www.us.kensington.com/html/6600.html

top left hand corner you can see this adapter compared to the size of a penny.

installation was extrememly simple (uses toshiba stack drivers BTW) insert the mini cd, click on the "ok's" and "next" buttons all the way up to the point where it tells you to plug in your micro adapter, plug in the adapter, reboot 1 time, and done. All devices came up 1st try, no hacking , nothing special, just the way I love it :)

yes, I bought two adapters, but I'm going to send one of them back... the micro adapter is so small that I can leave it plugged into the back and not really worry about it getting hit or broken.

Note of caution: if you are using a mac or dual boot system I think you pretty much have to use the d-link DBT-120 , but if you are like me and simply have Windows XP SP2 this is the ticket!

OMG thank you all so much! The regedit process worked perfectly for me. Both my partner and I spent weeks scouring forums trying to find out how to fix it - that was months ago now. i just thought I'd try a quick google tonight, a half-hearted "it's not going to work but I'm just gonna try" attempt - stumbled into here, and you guys had solved it!

I also had to restart for it to take, and I had to enter the pin on a USB keyboard, but pressed enter on the apple keyboard.

Thanks so much! :)

Hey all, so far none of these processes work for me! I keep getting a message "Error pairing with apple wireless keyboard" etc

Ive tried the regedit method, didnt work, and now i cant get the mighty mouse working anymore!

help would be much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few questions about this process and it seems like this is the best place to ask them.

I've got an Azio BTDL41-221 (Bluetooth USB) that I'm trying to pair with a Bluetooth Apple Mighty Mouse and Bluetooth Apple Wireless Keyboard. I've tried three different "stacks"--the default XP SP2 one, the Toshiba one, and the Azio one. All three pair successfully with the Mighty Mouse (with a passkey of 0000), but none can successfully connect to the keyboard. The closest I've gotten is with the default Windows stack, which recognizes the keyboard, gives me a passkey to pair with, but doesn't recognize the input on the Bluetooth keyboard. I've tried inputting it several times with all the various options (choose your own, have windows select, etc.).

How would I know if my Blueooth dongle is compatible with the Widcomm drivers that are talked about here? And if it is, where would I be able find the right ones?

Anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so if you have read all of these posts like I have, and still could not type in the passord because of the grey box, I was in your shoes and finally got it to work!!

Lovin the keyboard by the way guys, its worth all the effort!!

Ok so moving on... like I said I was pulling out my hair reading everyones posts and still having the same problem (not being able to type in the password) and I finally got so frustrated I started pushing all these buttons on the Apple Keyboard, and it started working lol.

Now I cant tell you the EXACT process I did, as it started working unexpectedly, but I know it happened when I pushed the 'return' key on the Apple keyboard. Just remember before I go on with more info, that the final step was hitting the 'RETURN' key on the Apple keyboard.

I cant give you an exact process of what I did, because I tried a bunch of different things at different times....but I will tell you anything that may help....so here go's...

Ok I hooked up a second keyboard like people told me to do, but that did not do anything for me... it has something to do with typing something in on the keyboard your hooking up (the apple keyboard)

Just before I hit the 'return' key, I typed in '1111' after following that other post above that says to do some changes in your system to make it '1111' so follow that process...

So yeh, I typed 1111 and even though I did not see the numbers in the box, I pushed 'return' and it started working.... I could not believe it... and I thought once I restarted my computer that it would stop working, but its been working flawless for a week now!!

Ok what else did I do.... I didn't go find certain drivers like everyone was talking about, but I did go into the file and update the drivers by right clicking, then properties, drivers, and update drivers.... not sure if that did anything or not, but I remember it being one of the things I did...

oh and for refference, I am using a Kensington bluetooth adaptor for my PC.

Hmmm what else... I dunno, I just played around alot by always trying to sync over and over, and sometimes it would have the green arrows beside the keyboard icon and sometime not... you may have to time it so you hit 'return' at a certain point.....

Ok I know that was a horrible step by step process, but hopefully something in there helps someone, because I was just about to send this thing back, and it started working, so trust me there is a way!! and once you do it you wont have to touch anything again, it just works flawless all the time!!! good luck!!!

Ok so if you have read all of these posts like I have, and still could not type in the passord because of the grey box, I was in your shoes and finally got it to work!!

Ok so moving on... like I said I was pulling out my hair reading everyones posts and still having the same problem (not being able to type in the password) and I finally got so frustrated I started pushing all these buttons on the Apple Keyboard, and it started working lol.

Now I cant tell you the EXACT process I did, as it started working unexpectedly, but I know it happened when I pushed the 'return' key on the Apple keyboard. Just remember before I go on with more info, that the final step was hitting the 'RETURN' key on the Apple keyboard.

I cant give you an exact process of what I did, because I tried a bunch of different things at different times....but I will tell you anything that may help....so here go's...

Ok I hooked up a second keyboard like people told me to do, but that did not do anything for me... it has something to do with typing something in on the keyboard your hooking up (the apple keyboard)

Just before I hit the 'return' key, I typed in '1111' after following that other post above that says to do some changes in your system to make it '1111' so follow that process...

So yeh, I typed 1111 and even though I did not see the numbers in the box, I pushed 'return' and it started working.... I could not believe it... and I thought once I restarted my computer that it would stop working, but its been working flawless for a week now!!

Ok what else did I do.... I didn't go find certain drivers like everyone was talking about, but I did go into the file and update the drivers by right clicking, then properties, drivers, and update drivers.... not sure if that did anything or not, but I remember it being one of the things I did...

Hmmm what else... I dunno, I just played around alot by always trying to sync over and over, and sometimes it would have the green arrows beside the keyboard icon and sometime not... you may have to time it so you hit 'return' at a certain point.....

Ok I know that was a horrible step by step process, but hopefully something in there helps someone, because I was just about to send this thing back, and it started working, so trust me there is a way!! and once you do it you wont have to touch anything again, it just works flawless all the time!!! good luck!!!

Here is what I've come up with after using Bluetooth in Windows:

1) Microsoft's Bluetooth Stack is flakey.

2) Folks "mix 'n match" ideas about Bluetooth adapters and devices are a large part of the problem. This is largerly no one's fault, since it is the general philosophy of Microsoft Windows, which was created with a LARGE variety of hardware vendors in mind. Because of this, Windows users think they can always safely mix and match hardware. This is NOT always good, especially in the area of Bluetooth under Windows.

Because of this, here is my advice:

1) NEVER mix devices. Use the Bluetooth adapter which was supplied with your keyboard or mouse.

2) If you've lost the Bluetooth Dongle which was supplied with your keyboard/mouse/other device, don't try to make some other dongle "work".

3) In which case, your BEST option is to purchase and use a keyboard/mouse set which is created expressly for Windows.

4) To that end, I've found that Logitech handles Bluetooth under Windows BEST, and almost perfectly.

5) Problems with Apple bluetooth keyboards in Windows are caused by the fact that Apple keyboards are not designed to work under Windows.

6) I know you love your aluminum keyboards. But they aren't created to work well in Windows. Get a proper Windows desktop set.

Donald L McDaniel

Very odd, I've had no problems syncing up my Bluetooth Apple Keyboard to windows before, connect, type in the code and press return (not enter) and it works, though I'm using an A-DATA BlueTooth Dongle on my T60p to do that with and the chipset is identical to that which is in Apple's equipment so that might be the difference.

• 2 months later...

I've never written to such a forum before, but it's been so helpful I just have to give back! I followed this advice after following the regedit 1111 trick, and sure enough it worked after several tries. I'm using a Trendnet blue dongle and Broadcom 2045 USB adapter (think it's really WINCOMM) v5.1.0.1700, XP SP2, on an old Compaq presario v2000 (4 years old). I renamed the AWKB to something other than the default, although I don't think that was consequential. Rather, after updating registry, rebooting, and then:

1. Click My Bluetooth Places > Bluetooth> Add Bluetooth Device

2. Click on Search

3. While it is scanning, press 1s and Returns like there is no tomorrow! Somehow this worked after several tries. IMHO you probably only have to press Return, seems like that is what triggered it (think I gave up on the 1s!)

I'm quite lucky as my wireless mighty mouse also continues to work, even after regedit trick.

FYI, trying to use older Microsoft drivers didn't work for me at all - never found the devices.

I probably won't reboot so much after all this!

Thanks to everyone. The power of community in action!

Right, reading this thread was very helpful and i wanted to share my experience which to be fair, was very painless.

My main PC has a Logitech bluetooth hub for a MX900 mouse and Dinova keyboard with Setpoint 2.2, Widcomm 3.x installed, and reading the first few post it was clear this is not the connection device you want for the AWKB. I've had major issues connecting the equipment it's been designed to use, let alone mac gear that it wasn't. So it was obvious burning hours trying to get that to work was a waste of time, but I did try the 1111 trick first just incase but i just got an error message.

I then tried to connect the AWKB to my work laptop which has built in bluetooth using a toshiba stack and it conneted straight away, no fussing about, works perfectly.

I went on eBay and brought a cheap bluetooth USB device which was a Trust 2.0 EDR USB BT-2100p. This just happened to use the same Toshiba stack as my laptop. I'd like to say i knew that before i brought it but i was just lucky, however it connected straight away, no fuss.

I think it's clear to say you can easliy use one of these sweet keyboards if your bluetooth device isn't picky. A lot of messing around can get them working, but a few quid off ebay, i'd take the buy and try option any day. Good luck, they are well worth it! :D

• 3 months later...

Ok so if your still reading, you are obviously too slow and cannot be helped.... lol jkjk, I feel your pain...

I want to tell you that I went through the same thing.... people who follow the exact steps on here are very lucky, because I found that there is not an exact step, but you more or less have to 'trick' it into reading the keyboard...

So basically dont worry about all these drivers everyone is talking about, or the usb device... I did non of those and got it working. However DO follow the step that shows you how to change your values to '1111' and then reboot....

Now for me, after changing the values to '1111' it still did not work right away, so dont worry, just keep trying to connect in the bluetooth devices now....

Ok so while your going crazy trying to trick it into reading your keyboard, just remember to type '1111' with your other keyboard, and then hitting 'Return' on the Apple keyboard.... whatever your trying, it will finally work after hitting 'return' with your Apple keyboard, thats the final step.

In the 'my bluetooth places' window, the step that worked for me was clicking 'add a bluetooth device' and taking that step, NOT double clicking the keyboard icon.... good luck! Its worth it trust me!!

picture046yy4.th.jpg

Edited by 4pples

• 1 month later...

I had to search the net to see if someone had come up with the same answer as I found to my problem after spending 10 hours straight trying every trick in the book... I can't believe that someone else actually figured it out. I thought I was nuts when I tried it.

I know one thing for sure - if I hadn't already had my mac keyboard working for the past year then I probably would have given up.

A few more details about my specific case if others are not getting it to work:

Bluetooth Dongle: RocketFish USB (chipset is a Broadcom BCM2045)

Widcomm Drivers: Latest (5.0.1something)

I tried drivers from every source that was a correct match to the Broadcom 2045 chipset (and there are quite a few products that sport this technology). In the end the driver combo that is working (although I am sure it would work on many driver versions) was directly from RocketFish but I know that even Microsoft's generic driver works as well. So, don't bother with your drivers at all. I went with RocketFish's drivers because I use a bluetooth headset and Windows does not have correct service to operate it without 3rd party support. I suggest you only ever use the official drivers for your specific bluetooth dongle (or onboard).

Important for anyone attempting to fix this issue properly:

• go to your device manager (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager)
  • go to View -> Show all Devices
  • Under the heading Bluetooth Devices and/or Bluetooth radio delete all entries.
  • go to Start -> Run and type 'regedit'
  • go to: My Computer \ HKEY_Current_User \ Software \ Widcomm \ BTconfig \ General
  • You may need to make the entries if they do not appear. The first entry to look for is 'Pin Code Word', right click and modify. Select DECIMAL and place '1111' in the field. Ok. Next entry is UseFixedPin, right click, modify, select decimal, enter '1' in the field. Ok.
  • Reboot
  • Plug in your bluetooth dongle and go to the device manager again.
  • If a generic bluetooth driver is installed, right click the entry in the device manager and select update driver. Select 'install from a specific list or location'. Under 'Include this location in the search' browse for the directory that you have placed your drivers. They must be extracted if you downloaded them as a zip or exe file, anywhere will do.
  • Reboot your computer again
  • Try to pair your device once again by going to 'My Bluetooth Places' right-clicking the keyboard, and 'Add New Device. When the greyed out passkey page comes up type '1111' on your wired keyboard or the on-screen keyboard then press 'enter/return' on your apple keyboard.
  • Done. Enjoy

• 1 month later...

What if you don't have Widcomm in your registry, I don't even have it. I go to current_user>software> but then there's no sign of it! I just bought a new apple wireless keyboard you see and I'm struggling to get it to work with windows xp sp2 on my computer.. ahhhh

• 2 months later...

This forum was very helpfull, i just registered to post this addition.

The AWKB finally did pair with my PC laptop after i did this:

*Tweek the registry to 1111 as explained in the forum.

*attempt to pair, when asked to enter passcode in the greyed area enter: kb (using your original keyboard, ps:ignore the fact that it doesn't display what you are typing)

THEN pres "return" on your AWKB

it worked for me, and I hope it will work for you.

PS: i spent a few hours with apple technical support on the phone, and they weren't able to figure it out, and said that the AWKB is not compatible with PC windows <-- THIS IS NOT TRUE. I'm typing this post with my AWKB and it's working perfectly.

Goodluck!

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have a wireless apple MB167B/A and D-Link DBT-122 (Also have a belkin but cannot make it work with AWKB).

I run XP SP3 (also tried on XPSP2)

This forum was very useful

I can only make the pairing using reg change 1111 as explained, but...

after reboot I have to redo the pairing.

I installed D-link driver 5.5.0.xxxx (I believe it is a mod Widcomm)

Also for some reasons I cannot use native MS XP driver (some say it works better) as dongle does not install automatically when inserted.

Any suggestions?

Any of you guys made it work - even after reboots?

Ciao

Alberto

I correct my own post:

With D-Link DBT-122 and own D-link driver 5.5.0.xxxx (and reg change) it WORKS even after reboot.

When selecting BT resources, the 2 green arrows disappear (status Not Connected), but the device is still paired.

As far as one key is pressed on apple KB, the arrows reappear and the device status is Connected (with no char loss).

Great! Now I just need to master the custom layout

Hope it helps

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks a lot dongaspa and BeDammit,

I tried for couple of hours to get the keyboard paired, I checked many internet forums until I got to this one.

I did exactly as in the instructions and voila! It works!

I'm extremely happy I got it working, I really love this keyboard for its size, design and functionality.

There is one more step which could be added to the instructions: after changing the registers' values I had to reboot

before successfully pairing the keyboard. But maybe this is common knowledge already :).

By the way, my configuration is Windows XP pro + SP2 and a Belkin BT dongle (driver version 5.0.1).

I should go now to sleep, its 1 a.m. but at least I solved the problem :).

thanks again,

AdiVio

Absolute genius re the answer to using the wireless keyboard on a p.c. Stunning piece of kit, however, would be most grateful if you could try to answer the following....to start with i'm one of those fools who wish to use the apple products through my p.c, as mentioned keyboard sucessful, but then thought, mightly mouse next !! low and behold, i cannot get it to work, it does not allow me to make it discoverable and even though it's permanently on show, when trying to connect, it just drops out after about 20secs, no mouse use though. Tried istaling onto a laptop with the same kensington 2.0usb bluetooth, all comes up fine, although the keybaord started to drop out. moved all back to the p.c, reistalled all, mouse will still not work. I did do the regedit to get the keyboard working, would this effect the mouse? I know, your all saying...stick to p.c gear for p.c's, but it has to be said, apple have design wrapped up perfectly, hence requiring the mouse and keyboard use...in the living room. Can anyone help? would be very greatful, all the best, mark.

• 1 month later...