HDTV Antenna Help!

Hey guys...I bought a Terk TV55 HD Antenna for my house so I can pick up our local stations in High Definition. But for some reason the reception is really bad, sometime I get one or two channels, sometime none. Also when I'm recieving the programs they freeze up and cut in and out alot. So I was wonder if this antenna is just a pile of junk or what. There really isn't much in the way of obstacles around my house either, and I had the antenna mounted under my gutter of my roof. Is there a stronger antenna that I should try? Any suggestions? Here is a pic and the specs of my antenna:

receives UHF, VHF, and HDTV/SDTV signals

broadband helical-coil single element

ultra-low-noise, impedence-matched amplifier

threaded F-connector for connection to RG6 cable (not included)

operational bandwidth: 54-806 MHz

amplifier gain: 10 dB

output impedance: 75 ohms

rustproof, high-strength aluminum body, silicone-sealed for maximum weather resistance

includes power injector, sill and mast mounting brackets, flat coax cable

46-5/8"W x 4"H x 3-3/4"D

warranty: 1 year parts & labor

post-66484-1108493920.jpg

Edited by DreAming in DigITal

/\ hmmm...well I checked out antennaweb.org before I bought it and it said I had a fairly high signal at my house, then I exchanged my first antenna to make sure it wasn't broken :) This is making me angry!!

/\ Maybe I didn't clear up my situation...I have DirectTV and a DirectTV HD Box...but my LOCAL channels aren't offered in HD by DirectTV. So thats why I bought the HD Antenna, so I can pick them up over the air.

/\ Maybe I didn't clear up my situation...I have DirectTV and a DirectTV HD Box...but my LOCAL channels aren't offered in HD by DirectTV. So thats why I bought the HD Antenna, so I can pick them up over the air.

585477957[/snapback]

Ok well move the antenna then. Under a gutter isn't the best place for it. Maybe up on the roof.

/\ alright...I'll give that a try then i guess. hehe my roof is reeeeaally steep...hopefully I don't fall down go boom :)

Is there anyway to juice up the power of an antenna?

/\ alright...I'll give that a try then i guess. hehe my roof is reeeeaally steep...hopefully I don't fall down go boom :)

Is there anyway to juice up the power of an antenna?

585477984[/snapback]

A coat hanger :laugh:

Antenna's receive signals not give so there would be no point to "Juice it up"

i think we have one of those here in the lab, but i've never used it. we can get HD OTA through a regular rabbit ear antenna.

i don't know if it applies here, but they do have "active" antennas that require power.

i think we have one of those here in the lab, but i've never used it. we can get HD OTA through a regular rabbit ear antenna.

i don't know if it applies here, but they do have "active" antennas that require power.

Oh I see...Well I guess this one is "active" because it requires power but it still doesn't pick up a strong signal. Maybe the signal strength here at my house isn't as strong as antennaweb.org said. :(

Well this antenna rerally does need line of sight so try to put it on your roof, like Liquid said, where it doesn't have such unilateral positioning. For all you know, the thing may be on the wrong side of your house.

^I have that antenna back home at my parent's place. Its a REALLY good antenna. You have to find out where the nearest reception tower is in your area, (i live in a pretty urban area so I would just point it towards San Francisco's Sutro Tower) which you can find through websites, and hang it from that side of your house, OR you might have to check your location. Mountains, large buildings will affect your reception, so you gotta find out more about your general area.

I recommend joining this forum as a good starting point, (and ending point because this is THE reference site for A/V people) they have a thread for pretty much every HD area in America. Find your area's OTA (over the air) thread and look around. They will say where to point your antenna, updates about your major broadcasting tower, etc. Just ask. I'm a member there, so just ask around your area's thread. We're nice people.

Here's the subforum you're gonna need.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=45

^I have that antenna back home at my parent's place. Its a REALLY good antenna. You have to find out where the nearest reception tower is in your area, (i live in a pretty urban area so I would just point it towards San Francisco's Sutro Tower) which you can find through websites, and hang it from that side of your house, OR you might have to check your location. Mountains, large buildings will affect your reception, so you gotta find out more about your general area.

I recommend joining this forum as a good starting point, (and ending point because this is THE reference site for A/V people) they have a thread for pretty much every HD area in America. Find your area's OTA (over the air) thread and look around. They will say where to point your antenna, updates about your major broadcasting tower, etc. Just ask. I'm a member there, so just ask around your area's thread. We're nice people.

Here's the subforum you're gonna need.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=45

:woot: Sweet!! Thanks!