Subwoofer Placement

I currently have my subwoofer under my L-shaped corner desk in my bedroom and am wondering where the best location would be for it for best sound. I think that it could sound better than what it's currently putting out.

Should I try moving it to the corner behind me? Let me know your ideas.

The subwoofer is a Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1.

I attached a diagram of my room setup.

Also, I have to turn the bass volume up a lot to get decent bass from where it's at right now.

post-17285-1108693251.jpg

Edited by Dennis

I always have mine in the same position as yours but lying on it's side so that I can put my feet on it. All depends what you're using it for though. I have mine like that so that when I'm playing a driving game it feels like im in the car with the engine noises vibrating my feet, and when there's an explosion in a game the ground shakes.

The monitor is located just about where it says desk in that picture. And yes, the subwoofer is on the floor, just curious if the desk could be blocking any of the bass or not.

The monitor is located just about where it says desk in that picture. And yes, the subwoofer is on the floor, just curious if the desk could be blocking any of the bass or not.

585494481[/snapback]

Then, honestly, the sub is in a decent position. The only place better for it would be between the bed and the desk on the right side of your monitor. That would allow the base to hit the walls of the room more than the desk itself.

Something I've noticed with Klipsch is that it usually helps to not be right on top of it but in your case it can't really be avoided. Bass isn't directional so you have a lot of options normally though you should still try and anchor them to one of your satellites. One thing to keep in mind with the Promedias is that the sub is side firing so you may experiment with its orientation instead of placement. You should NEVER have to max the bass controls on them unless you are tone deaf. ;)

A good soundcard that is properly configured helps too.

Bass is non-directional. So placement is not crucial.

Corners and enclosed places are considered better because the low bass frequences tend to bounce off more surfaces giving a more surround solid bass Sound.

Some places tend to make the bass Boomy and echoy (Spelling?) though.

This is how I get the best sound possible with my Creative Inspire 50 something 00's. I have my Subwoofer laying down on its side with the connections facing back, the speaker up to the roof and the air exhaust, or w/e, facing toward me. And as noted, my 5 speakers spread out to add the surround feeling. By the way, the thing behind my computer table is a window.

Also, noting that you have an Audigy sound card Id recommend the KX Project drivers. They give you full control over your speakers. You can control individual sound levels, surround sound levels, bass levels, so forth and so on. I get ALOT more bass with them, and better sound.

post-13266-1108765172_thumb.jpg

Mines under the computter desk, which is a big desk, and has sides and there is the wall to bounce off of. I just tried moving it to the corner of the room, and found that the sound was way too "trebly" with the bass not underneath the sattelites as the sound seemed to be too far off. I think I get the best sound directly under the desk, enough surfaces under to bounce off of.

Bass is non-directional. So placement is not crucial.

not true. im not sure about your specific sub, but mine is designed like a regular speaker. it isnt a box with an opening on the bottom like some of the bigger ones are.

not true. im not sure about your specific sub, but mine is designed like a regular speaker. it isnt a box with an opening on the bottom like some of the bigger ones are.

585495410[/snapback]

Logitech_Z5500.jpg

My 10'' Subwoofer.

Low Frequencies are not directional.

My roomate and i reciently changed our room around. My desk used to be in the corner of the room with the sub practically in the corner. Once it got changed it became near the middle of the wall. The bass dropped substancially. And i have a 12" 250watt JBL Northridge Series sub hooked up into my Klipsch 2.1's and its still not as strong as it was when it was located in the corner.

'

So i say corner all the way.

Logitech_Z5500.jpg

My 10'' Subwoofer.

Low Frequencies are not directional.

585495420[/snapback]

True, true.

That's why you only hear the bass from boyracers cars. Whilst they sit inside and hear it all.

Surely it would be something to do with the lower frequency's having a higher wavelength and hence diffracting more?

Just a thought.

I used to work in car Audio and Home Theater systems and Bass is non directional to a point. The best advise I ever got for placing the Sub Woofer is put it were you are going to sit and get on your hand and knees and krawl around the room and listen were the bass is the strongest then place the Woofer there, hope the wiring is long enough, hope that helped.