[Review] Cyberpower Custom Pc

I have had a dell xps t750r system for the past 5 years. As time went by, I could play less and less new games, and I missed out on a lot of opportunities. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to get a new computer. Basically, I needed something fast, with a good graphics card...and it needed to be priced very well, because I was on a very tight budget. I decided to try my luck with Cyberpower (www.cyberpowerinc.com) I ordered the following custom system:

Xblade Mid tower case

Samsung ts-h522b 16x dvd+-r/+-rw +cd-r/rw dual layer

Anthlon 64 3200 939 pin

6 in 1 media card reader

1.44mb floppy drive

120gb seagate 7200 rpm sata 8mb cache 150

Free half life 2 coupon

keyboard

mouse

939 socket gigabyte ga-k8nf-9 nforce4 mobo

512mb pc3200 geil value ram

geforce 6600 card (pic-express)

The total price of this computer (shipped) came out to be 810 dollars. Great price.

Here is a pic of what their online order system looks like:

ihnp-258506thumb.jpg

One day after ordering, I checked out their rating on resellerating.com

Needless to say, it didnt look too good...there were a lot of unhappy people. I got really nervous after this, and I even thought about cancelling my order. I took the advice of some people on Neowin, and decided to let the order go through. In roughly around 1 week, I had my pc. Fast building and shipping I must admit.

The pc came very well packaged, and they even included the original 6600 graphics card box.

I was amazed at how beautiful it was! Check out the comparison between my old and new pc:

p><p>So, I went downstairs to my other d

After peeking around the comuters insided, I noticed something. Most of the cables were branded asus...and I was impressed. However, there were 2 things that were bothering me. First of all, the ram was not geil...it was Infineon (the people accussed of hiking ram prices). Second of all, the hard drive was not a seagate. That made me mad. The hd they put in is a hitachi (who took over ibms hd division). Whatever...no big deal.

When I turned off the computer, I noticed that the mouse was still glowing. I found out later on that this is common with the new types of mobos (ps2 power being sent after shutdown). In order to try and get this fixed, I plugged the mouse into the usb port, and left the keyboard in ps2. After restarting the pc, the mouse worked fine...but the ps2 keyboard had a hardware issue....so I put everything back to ps2 setup.

Software:

Bundled with the pc came splinter cell pandora tomorrow and prince of persia sands of time, along with a free half life 2 coupon, the leadtek nvidia cd and the samsung dvdrw cd. I couldnt be more happy :) When I tried to install windvd that came bundled with the samsung cd...the key provided was read as invalid. Err.... Anyways...

I installed pcmark, 3dmark 03 and 05

Here are my scores:

Pcmark04:3724

3dmark03:4784

3dmark05:1855

These scores are as expected.

After all the useless e-penor benchmarking, I fired up unreal tournament 2004. What a game....so smooth...so fast...so beautiful. After playing a few rounds of assault, I exited. To a bsod. This continued to happen over 4 more times till I couldnt take it any more.

Searching the internet, I found out that this was a driver bug in the 66.93 nvida crapware drivers. It had to do with a sp2 buffer overflow protection scheme (dep) or something...that conflicted with the drivers...

Heres the thread that enlightened me: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=153424

So I went ahead and installed the 71.20 beta drivers...and they work flawlessly. The newest drivers are 71.81 and some devs have access to 71.83

In regards to cpu temp, the computer idles around 27 degrees celcius, according to the lcd indicator. Its safe to assume the actual idle temperature is 32 degrees.

I have played ut2004, tribes vengeance, ground control 2, warhammer 40k, doom 3, chronicles of riddick, and farcry on this pc. Everything has played smooth and wonderful at max settings (1024 x 768), with the exception of chronicles of riddick (I had to turn the shader model level to a lower level, because it was playing too slow)

Conclusion:

I have had no major problems with this computer...only minor quirks. Overall, I am extremely satisfied with my order from Cyberpower. They have created a slick machine for a great price. Recommended

Pros:

Great Price

Fast build time

Fast shipping

Good software included

Good parts

Fast pc

Cons:

6 in 1 not plugged in

Missing mobo cd!

Lack of documentation

Not informed about automatic fan control

Some parts are different than what I ordered

Score: 88 %

More pics:

th_c6f_000_0009.jpg

ihnp-258593thumb.jpg

th_939_000_0161.jpg

post-63991-1109020592_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alpha2004

price?

585513542[/snapback]

"939 socket gigabyte ga-k8nf-9 nforce4 mobo

The total price of this computer (shipped) came out to be 810 dollars. Great price.

Here is a pic of what their online order system looks like:"

:)

i also have a system from cyberpower good system but pathetic ,PATHETIC support it took over 3 hrs to finally hear a voice tellin me to wait some more. so if u know how to work and fix ur comp on ur own then no probs. they sent me a bad memory stick which they replaced promptly(i had to pay for shipping)

"939 socket gigabyte ga-k8nf-9 nforce4 mobo

585513551[/snapback]

This price is really nice.

Nice review ;)

p.s. DVD drive in this case looks better when it silver, not white :)

i also have a system from cyberpower good system but pathetic ,PATHETIC support it took over 3 hrs to finally hear a voice tellin me to wait some more. so if u know how to work and fix ur comp on ur own then no probs. they sent me a bad memory stick which they replaced promptly(i had to pay for shipping)

585518393[/snapback]

Thankfully, I dont have any major issues lol :)

I have yet to receive the mobo cd though...

thanks for the review. I'm probably going to buy an almost barebones system from them soon.

585518402[/snapback]

No problem. Just make sure you dont get their generic stuff

Hmmm.

Sounds fishy.

If I order GeIL RAM & a Seagate Hd, id expect them.

Also regarding the Driver CD, thats poor.

Maybe a one off though.

Would put me off.

585518444[/snapback]

Well, the non geil ram was a bit of a disappointment, but I was pleasantly surprised when I put this hard drive to the test with HD Tach against a seagate barracuda. Its burst speed was better, and its sequential read speed was consistent

This price is really nice.

Nice review ;)

p.s. DVD drive in this case looks better when it silver, not white :)

585520870[/snapback]

Yah, I know...but the thing is that the case cover is closed most of the time so its no biggy.

Btw, I played the crytech ati tech demo...and it went around 10fps. This shows that the graphics card is not all that...but Its decent.

I also heard some bad stuff about the samsung that I bought...but personally I have burned over 10cds and 3 dvds and everything is fine (revision 4 firmware...not 6)

Edited by Alpha2004

• 2 weeks later...

No edit button...

I called them regarding the dvd rw. I waited 30 minutes on the phone, and after 10 minutes of talking to tech support, tech support told me to rma the thing and they will send me another one.

thats really gay that the fan controller was a dummy id be like take your **** back cuz i want a FAN CONTROLLER!! for me thats a very important thing cuz i need it to be quiet when i sleep :-)

thats really gay that the fan controller was a dummy id be like take your **** back cuz i want a FAN CONTROLLER!! for me thats a very important thing cuz i need it to be quiet when i sleep  :-)

585584547[/snapback]

I can always software regulate it (i think)

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Aspire XBlade in black, and it's a great gaming case on a budget. :)

Cyberpower apparently doesn't always send out what you ordered, as the same happened to me, and I have to get it resolved too.

ALWAYS double check your invoice with what's in the box, and then with the order you placed.

On a side note, and I'm not endorsing this, one of those referral based "free desktop" sites is offering a Cyberpower, although it's a lower-end system. (Same case though)

that case is ugly?:xx

585673786[/snapback]

Hehe. Its really nice looking in real life. Pictures dont do it justice.

But its all about preference.

But its all about preference.

Yeah. I personally prefer non-flashy cases such as my Antec Sonata. The only probs with my system right now are that the BFG Asylum card's HSF is freaking loud, louder than all the other fans combined and that the USB/audio ports don't always work :(