"Xbox 360 getting attachable hard drive and..."

Saw this over at Engadget:

"Xbox 360 getting attachable hard drive and wireless controllers"

LINK

This appears to indicate three things:

1. The next Xbox will not use a HDD for games.

2. The next Xbox is almost certainly NOT backwards compatible.

3. Microsoft intends to make a profit from their Xbox division.

Edited by digistil

One of the things that I really like about my XBox is the fact that it has a built-in HDD. No need to worry about memory cards as I do with my PS2. If they give us an option to purchase the next gen XBox console with or without HDD, I will have to go with the one with the built in HDD. Besides, when given the opportunity, stores like to charge more money for items when they are sold separately Vs. bundled/built in.

According to a bevy of reports--some of which were reportedly verified by anonymous sources at Microsoft--the company's next-gen console will sport some serious bells and whistles. First and foremost is The Inquirer's assertion that the device will come standard with wireless controllers--a first for a console. While this goes against Microsoft's reported all-out effort to minimize hardware costs, it would be a good counter to the reportedly gyroscopic controllers used by Nintendo's "Revolution." According to Kotaku, the designers have gone to great lengths to make the Xbox 360 (as they call it) as unlike its bulky black forebear as possible. "Our Cali source says that the console is a sleek silver device worthy of countertop display, and features a design that turns the harsh angles of the original Xbox into sweeps and curves," said Kotaku. "The device will also be able to stand upright or on its side, much like the PlayStation 2. The side of the 360 is dominated by an oversized, back-lit power button called the ring of light, and the rest of the case can be customized with colorful designer face plates that pop on and off. The 360's dashboard will also be customizable, making each console a thing totally unique to its owner." Sound good? Definitely. Any way to verify it without sending a heavily armed commando team into Microsoft's Redmond campus? Well, Bill Gates did tell News.com that the next Xbox would sport "high-definition graphics and wireless that the chip breakthroughs allow us to get to." But whether he meant wireless networking, wireless controllers, or both, is still anybody's guess.

-Gamespot, Rumo(u)r Control

This seems like a step backwards. The XBox had it right that the future consoles needed harddrives inside of them or some sort of storage. I think even Sony and Nintendo recognize this because I believe they said their next gen consoles will contain harddrives. Now game developers are going to have to write games knowing that some people with have HDs and some won't. Or all the game developers could write games that made it so you were forced to buy an HD from MS and they could charge whatever they want if it is proprietary, similar to forcing people to buy the Xbox DVD Playback Kit if you wanted to watch movies. $300 for the next gen system + an overpriced proprietary HD = profit! At launch the XBox was $300 and the HD was included as part of that price, they could make a steal if they make a proprietary HD with the XBox 2. People would be forced to buy it if they wanted patches/maps/add-ons/etc. Imagine Halo 3 coming out, but to have all the fully unlockable features you will need a HD.

Edited by jmole

huge step backward

i want all my features included, i hate buying extra stuff that should be included. Plus if this happens, more than half the games being made won't use it. If it is an addon, it will be very expensive. I vote NO, if I had a vote. Make it like the xbox, but with better sound, graphics, and wireless controllers.

hehehe... you guys are freaking funny... :p

There?s no official work from MS about what will be the final features and tech specs of the Xbox Next, just wait a few weeks more and you all see what the real thing is.:happy:y:

Also, you?re missing the fact if you?re a subscriber of the Xbox Live service you could also have the option of online storage, those preventing the lost of data if something happen to your Xbox. This way if your Xbox get stolen, damaged, or if you simply want to bring all your save games, profiles and characters over to your friends house all you have to do is pull out the data from the Xbox Live server. The option of the external data storage could be used if you don?t have Xbox Live or if you want to have all your music stored :yes:. :yes:

Game developers will create a full set of new titles based on the idea that you?ll always have a storage medium either local or online and if you don?t you?ll be asked to provide one just like you do with the actual memory cards. This also means that your games will always be update and no downloads are needed because the updates are applied on the fly as soon as they become available. Possibilities ar:woot:mited. :woot:

And remember? ?Microsoft does not comments on rumor :whistle:ation?. :whistle:

Actually, nexTbox (what many believe it will be named) rumors of an attachable HDD are semi-true.

The real story behind this is:

If you've ever played an EA Sports game, you'll know the BIO option. it's the points you get for having bought and played another EA Sports title. This removable HDD (which I believe could be fitted to the mem card slot) would give continuos users of games unlock hidden features in the sequel to the game.

---I read something like that in an article, I will try to find it...if you want to look too, search on some Xbox fansites...I know I read it on an xbox fansite...

Game developers will create a full set of new titles based on the idea that you?ll always have a storage medium either local or online and if you don?t you?ll be asked to provide one just like you do with the actual memory cards. This also means that your games will always be update and no downloads are needed because the updates are applied on the fly as soon as they become available. Possibilities are unlimited.&:woot::woot:

And remember? ?Microsoft does not comments on rumor or speculatio:whistle:p; :whistle:

585523986[/snapback]

Sure the online storage may be good for small game files like saves, but I doubt you will be able to store the hundreds of megs or even gigs of updates/add-ons for games using Microsoft's service. And I seriously doubt that updates can be applied on the fly when you want to play a game. For example say the next generation of consoles lets you play game that requires a 100MB+ patch, there is no way that can be applied on the fly. You need some medium to store it on. And if you want your game fixed that would require buying a harddrive. And look at games like Final Fantasy XI, what if more games go in that direction? It will suck if XBox 2 has no harddrive and all three next gen consoles are the same prices except the other two have harddrives. Edited by jmole

I REALLY hope that this is some sort of storage useable to developers such as the HD in the current Xbox. It just opens up so many oportunities...

This seems like a step backwards.? The XBox had it right that the future consoles needed harddrives inside of them or some sort of storage.? I think even Sony and Nintendo recognize this because I believe they said their next gen consoles will contain harddrives.? Now game developers are going to have to write games knowing that some people with have HDs and some won't.? Or all the game developers could write games that made it so you were forced to buy an HD from MS and they could charge whatever they want if it is proprietary, similar to forcing people to buy the Xbox DVD Playback Kit if you wanted to watch movies.? $300 for the next gen system + an overpriced proprietary HD = profit!? At launch the XBox was $300 and the HD was included as part of that price, they could make a steal if they make a proprietary HD with the XBox 2.? People would be forced to buy it if they wanted patches/maps/add-ons/etc.? Imagine Halo 3 coming out, but to have all the fully unlockable features you will need a HD.

585523835[/snapback]

uhhhmmm... did you know that MS holds a patent for the use of HDs on gaming consoles? If so, that means that if either Sony or Nintendo want to use a HD on any of their consoles they?ll have to pay MS a fee for the IP granted by that:laugh:. :laugh:

I know you?re gonna hate this but MS is gonna make money out of Sony and Nintendo this ti:devil:nd? :devil: muahahahaahahahahahahaaaaMethod and apparatus for displaying information regarding stored data in a gaming system ngAbstractb>Abstract

A gaming system includes a hard disk drive for storing applications and other data. The hard disk drive has multiple storage areas for storing different types of data. Each application executed on the gaming system has an associated data storage area and is prevented from using data storage areas associated with other applications. When saving a game, the saved game data may include a descriptive name of the saved game, a graphic representation of the state of the game when the game was saved, a description of the game state when the game was saved, and a date and time that the game was saved.

Source: United States Patent 6,716,102

dude, you need to READ better.

xbox 360 WILL come with a hard drive, and some wont, you just said it won't..

hate to break it to you, but that site is a load of BS

uhhhmmm... did you know that MS holds a patent for the use of HDs on gaming consoles? If so, that means that if either Sony or Nintendo want to use a HD on any of their consoles they?ll have to pay MS a fee for the IP granted by that patent.&nbsp:laugh:h:

I know you?re gonna hate this but MS is gonna make money out of Sony and Nintendo this time around?&:devil:devil: muahahahaahahahahahahaaaaa....

Source: United States Patent 6,716,102

585524709[/snapback]

Trust me, you are reading the patent completely wrong. All three companies need a patent for their systems in order to sell it and it is a description of what the system is comprised of and how each module goes together and the patents for each individual module. Just because one system using something such as a harddrive doesn't mean they own the right to it for all systems. You can't own the right for an individual component in the system unless if your company designed and developed it. MS sure as hell didn't develope the harddrive used in their systems. Something like a blu-ray reader, which Sony owns the rights to because they designed the technology, they would be able to charge for the use of it. If what you said was true, I would have been sued since my first year of engineering school up to the present. Edited by jmole

Trust me, you are reading the patent completely wrong.? All three companies need a patent for their systems in order to sell it and it is a description of what the system is comprised of and how each module goes together and the patents for each individual module.? Just because one system using something such as a harddrive doesn't mean they own the right to it for all systems.? You can't own the right for an individual component in the system unless if your company designed and developed it.? MS sure as hell didn't develope the harddrive used in their systems.? Something like a blu-ray reader, which Sony owns the rights to because they designed the technology, they would be able to charge for the use of it.? If what you said was true, I would have been sued since my first year of engineering school up to the present.

585525111[/snapback]

Then can you explain why Microsoft and Sony got sue over the patent number 6,424,333 (AKA Tactile feedback man-machine interface device) granted to Immersion Corporation and filed on April 18, 2001?

We all know "force feedback" has been used by many devices before 2001 and as you said "you can't own the right for an individual component in the system unless if your company designed and developed it" this sounds a bit contradictory to what happened here cuz Immersion didn?t have the patent before the PS2 and the Xbox hit the market.

Here you have a few links to read a bit more about this:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Sep/...40924027091.htm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4558

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Immersion+sues+Mic...0_3-837139.html

http://immr.client.shareholder.com/Release...eleaseID=155945

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...RS=PN/6,424,333

BTW? about whatever you?d done since you got into college that can be easily fixed? I can introduce you to a few legal firms representing some big companies :rofl: like? :rofl: (just kidding)

Then can you explain why Microsoft and Sony got sue over the patent number 6,424,333 (AKA Tactile feedback man-machine interface device) granted to Immersion Corporation and filed on April 18, 2001?

We all know "force feedback" has been used by many devices before 2001 and as you said "you can't own the right for an individual component in the system unless if your company designed and developed it" this sounds a bit contradictory to what happened here cuz Immersion didn?t have the patent before the PS2 and the Xbox hit the market.

Here you have a few links to read a bit more about this:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Sep/...40924027091.htm

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4558

http://msn-cnet.com.com/Immersion+sues+Mic...0_3-837139.html

http://immr.client.shareholder.com/Release...eleaseID=155945

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?...RS=PN/6,424,333

BTW? about whatever you?d done since you got into college that can be easily fixed? I can introduce you to a few legal firms representing some big companies if you like:rofl:sp; :rofl:  (just kidding)

585525441[/snapback]

They probably thought Sony was using the same design for their motors so they decided to sue them.

What I am trying to say is say for example I am working on an embedded system. Just because I decide to use a transducer that can measure pressure levels doesn't mean I can get sued by a company who has also used a transducer to measure pressure levels. They could sue me if I decided to use that component in the same manner as they did, i.e. have the same circuit layout to incorporate that transducer. Maybe the company thought Sony was encorporating their motors that vibrate in the same manner as they did in their product with a similar circuit or block diagram layout.

Anyway what I did in college I can't get sued for since I didn't make a profit or sell it because it was for learning purposes. In the real world circuit layouts have to go through a through design review so that stuff doesn't happen.

Edited by jmole