[NBA] Chris Webber to 76ers

Most lopsided trade of the modern era.

Source

The Sacramento Kings traded Chris Webber to the Philadelphia 76ers late Wednesday night, parting ways with the cornerstone of their renaissance in a six-player deal that dramatically reshaped both teams.

The Sixers acquired Webber, one of the NBA's elite power forwards and a five-time All-Star, along with reserve forwards Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley. Philadelphia sent forwards Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson to the Kings, who finally divested themselves of Webber's mammoth contract and larger-than-life personality after years of speculation.

Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, acquired Webber from Washington before the 1999 season in a deal that transformed Sacramento into a contender. The Kings then re-signed Webber to a seven-year deal worth approximately $127 million in 2001.

``Trading Chris has been one of the most difficult and emotional decisions I have been involved in,'' Petrie said late Wednesday night. ``He has been an instrumental force in ushering in and maintaining an exciting period of basketball in Sacramento. I can't thank him enough for his efforts as a King. When we talked, he was incredibly professional in every way.

``We all wish him the best. The memories remain the property of the Kings.''

Webber, the No. 1 overall pick in 1993 following a stellar career at Michigan, has played exceptionally well for the Kings in recent weeks, averaging 21.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game -- though he isn't the athlete he was before undergoing serious knee surgery following the 2003 playoffs.

While the Kings fundamentally changed their core, Philadelphia added a charismatic superstar to complement Allen Iverson in what should be one of the NBA's most potent duos.

``The message that we're sending is that we went out and got a player who's averaging 21 and 10 to go along with our young players,'' Sixers president Billy King said.

After scoring 30 points in the Kings' 114-104 win over Atlanta on Tuesday night, Webber acknowledged the annual uncertainty over his future with a shrug -- but the forward, who has three years and $62 million left on his contract, clearly didn't believe he was about to be traded.

``It's something I live with,'' Webber said. ``It gets very old, but there's nothing you can do about it. If I believe everything I read and everything I hear, I'd be on an emotional roller coaster.''

Though both Webber and Peja Stojakovic denied rumors of a rift between Sacramento's stars, Stojakovic demanded a trade from the Kings last summer for unclear reasons. Sacramento was rumored to be discussing a trade with the Lakers involving Stojakovic, who will be a free agent after next season -- though Petrie denied it.

Stojakovic was the NBA's second-leading scorer last season, but hasn't been the same player since Webber returned from surgery last season, looking tentative and deferring to Webber. Mike Bibby and Brad Miller also tend to allow Webber to dictate the pace of the Kings' offense, sometimes inhibiting Sacramento's up-tempo style.

King was looking to make a deal to improve the Sixers' frontcourt as they make their playoff push. The Sixers are 26-27 and just a half-game behind Boston for first place in the Atlantic Division.

King said Iverson was ``ecstatic'' about the deal. The Sixers' next game is Thursday night in New York -- the annual rumored destination for Webber, who was coveted by Knicks president Isiah Thomas.

``I think the way we play, it allows some of our younger guys to develop even more because you've got a big guy now that can really make passes and shoot the jump shot,'' King said.

The Kings have the NBA's seventh-best record at 34-20, and the deal is a risky move by Petrie, who had never made a significant in-season trade before this season. He has made two in recent weeks: The Kings acquired Cuttino Mobley from Orlando for Doug Christie last month.

The Kings were in Dallas on Wednesday night preparing for a game against the Mavericks -- the first in a six-game road trip, their longest of the season.

King insisted he wouldn't part with any of his prized nucleus of young players to make a deal and he didn't have to.

Williamson, a first-round draft pick by the Kings in 1995, played five years in Sacramento before being traded to Toronto for Christie following the 1999-00 season. The Sixth Man of the Year in 2001-02 with the Pistons, Williamson is averaging 10.8 points and 3.7 rebounds in 22 minutes per game this season.

Thomas, a sixth-year pro with a solid outside game, is averaging 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds this season, while Skinner will be playing for his fifth team in seven seasons. Clearly, the Sixers didn't give up much to get Webber: Thomas had fallen out of favor with first-year Sixers coach Jim O'Brien, while Skinner was a free-agent bust.

Thomas has five years and $39 million left on his contract, but Skinner is in the final guaranteed year of his deal, and Williamson has two years left. All three still might be on the move if Petrie has additional deals in mind before the trading deadline on Thursday.

``The addition of Corliss, Kenny and Brian gives us additional flexibility and versatility on our front line,'' Petrie said. ``They are all quality players who we feel will make significant contributions to our team. We look forward to incorporating them into our style of play.''

Barnes, a Sacramento native, has been a seldom-used reserve for the Kings this season, though he took Peja Stojakovic's spot in the starting lineup recently. Bradley was acquired earlier in the season in Sacramento's deal for Mobley, but hasn't played much.

The 76ers will play in Sacramento on March 28.

My take: The balance of power has completely shifted from West to East, now. Iverson finally has a true WEAPON at his disposal. Heat vs Sixers in ECF's. BANK ON IT.

nice! always been a sixers fan. maybe this will help AI get that title.

I LOVE IT.

die west. east rules. got all the franchise players coming to this shore now. muahahaha.

Well, it wouldn't be so bad for the Kings if they played in the East, where you can get by with a losing record, have average inside post players, and rely on teamwork to win games (see: New Jersey).

However, this trade will kill Sacramento. Part of the attraction to the Kings (and being from Central California I've seen alot of their games) is the way they pass the ball and run the court. Yeah, it's going to be real fun watching Brian Skinner push the fast break or Kenny Thomas break out some behind-the-back passes. :rolleyes: I mean, this definately bodes well for my Warriors next season, maybe they can sneak into the 8th spot with a good draft.

It will be interesting to watch Allen Iverson with an actual dominate big man, though.

Most lopsided trade of the modern era.

Source

The Sacramento Kings traded Chris Webber to the Philadelphia 76ers late Wednesday night, parting ways with the cornerstone of their renaissance in a six-player deal that dramatically reshaped both teams.

The Sixers acquired Webber, one of the NBA's elite power forwards and a five-time All-Star, along with reserve forwards Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley. Philadelphia sent forwards Brian Skinner, Kenny Thomas and Corliss Williamson to the Kings, who finally divested themselves of Webber's mammoth contract and larger-than-life personality after years of speculation.

Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, acquired Webber from Washington before the 1999 season in a deal that transformed Sacramento into a contender. The Kings then re-signed Webber to a seven-year deal worth approximately $127 million in 2001.

``Trading Chris has been one of the most difficult and emotional decisions I have been involved in,'' Petrie said late Wednesday night. ``He has been an instrumental force in ushering in and maintaining an exciting period of basketball in Sacramento. I can't thank him enough for his efforts as a King. When we talked, he was incredibly professional in every way.

``We all wish him the best. The memories remain the property of the Kings.''

Webber, the No. 1 overall pick in 1993 following a stellar career at Michigan, has played exceptionally well for the Kings in recent weeks, averaging 21.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game -- though he isn't the athlete he was before undergoing serious knee surgery following the 2003 playoffs.

While the Kings fundamentally changed their core, Philadelphia added a charismatic superstar to complement Allen Iverson in what should be one of the NBA's most potent duos.

``The message that we're sending is that we went out and got a player who's averaging 21 and 10 to go along with our young players,'' Sixers president Billy King said.

After scoring 30 points in the Kings' 114-104 win over Atlanta on Tuesday night, Webber acknowledged the annual uncertainty over his future with a shrug -- but the forward, who has three years and $62 million left on his contract, clearly didn't believe he was about to be traded.

``It's something I live with,'' Webber said. ``It gets very old, but there's nothing you can do about it. If I believe everything I read and everything I hear, I'd be on an emotional roller coaster.''

Though both Webber and Peja Stojakovic denied rumors of a rift between Sacramento's stars, Stojakovic demanded a trade from the Kings last summer for unclear reasons. Sacramento was rumored to be discussing a trade with the Lakers involving Stojakovic, who will be a free agent after next season -- though Petrie denied it.

Stojakovic was the NBA's second-leading scorer last season, but hasn't been the same player since Webber returned from surgery last season, looking tentative and deferring to Webber. Mike Bibby and Brad Miller also tend to allow Webber to dictate the pace of the Kings' offense, sometimes inhibiting Sacramento's up-tempo style.

King was looking to make a deal to improve the Sixers' frontcourt as they make their playoff push. The Sixers are 26-27 and just a half-game behind Boston for first place in the Atlantic Division.

King said Iverson was ``ecstatic'' about the deal. The Sixers' next game is Thursday night in New York -- the annual rumored destination for Webber, who was coveted by Knicks president Isiah Thomas.

``I think the way we play, it allows some of our younger guys to develop even more because you've got a big guy now that can really make passes and shoot the jump shot,'' King said.

The Kings have the NBA's seventh-best record at 34-20, and the deal is a risky move by Petrie, who had never made a significant in-season trade before this season. He has made two in recent weeks: The Kings acquired Cuttino Mobley from Orlando for Doug Christie last month.

The Kings were in Dallas on Wednesday night preparing for a game against the Mavericks -- the first in a six-game road trip, their longest of the season.

King insisted he wouldn't part with any of his prized nucleus of young players to make a deal and he didn't have to.

Williamson, a first-round draft pick by the Kings in 1995, played five years in Sacramento before being traded to Toronto for Christie following the 1999-00 season. The Sixth Man of the Year in 2001-02 with the Pistons, Williamson is averaging 10.8 points and 3.7 rebounds in 22 minutes per game this season.

Thomas, a sixth-year pro with a solid outside game, is averaging 11.3 points and 6.6 rebounds this season, while Skinner will be playing for his fifth team in seven seasons. Clearly, the Sixers didn't give up much to get Webber: Thomas had fallen out of favor with first-year Sixers coach Jim O'Brien, while Skinner was a free-agent bust.

Thomas has five years and $39 million left on his contract, but Skinner is in the final guaranteed year of his deal, and Williamson has two years left. All three still might be on the move if Petrie has additional deals in mind before the trading deadline on Thursday.

``The addition of Corliss, Kenny and Brian gives us additional flexibility and versatility on our front line,'' Petrie said. ``They are all quality players who we feel will make significant contributions to our team. We look forward to incorporating them into our style of play.''

Barnes, a Sacramento native, has been a seldom-used reserve for the Kings this season, though he took Peja Stojakovic's spot in the starting lineup recently. Bradley was acquired earlier in the season in Sacramento's deal for Mobley, but hasn't played much.

The 76ers will play in Sacramento on March 28.

My take: The balance of power has completely shifted from West to East, now.  Iverson finally has a true WEAPON at his disposal.  Heat vs Sixers in ECF's.  BANK ON IT.

585525418[/snapback]

I'll forward your post to my friends... ;)

woo woo! When I read this in the morning paper I couldn't believe it. The Kings got robbed, lol! The players that the Sixers gave up sucked. Finally the Sixers have someone else on their team who can score so this should be very interesting. If only they can get rid of Glenn Robbinson for someone good.

/\ Daaaamn they got Jamal Mashburn and Rodney Rogers for Glenn Robinson???? I mean neither are all that great but they got two players that add depth for a washed up "has been" or "never was". The sixers must be giving these other teams some date rape drugs while proposing these trades.. :rofl: ..I think Rodney Rogers is actually better than Mashburn. ;)

I'm from sacramento, and this blows :crazy: :angry: :angry:

585525423[/snapback]

Thanks ripgut! Very disappointing to see the Kings lose Webber. I work at Arco Arena every few weeks and Sacramento has always loved him. Granted we are getting Williamson back, which hopefully will be of some benefit. The Kings have really mixed the team up this year, and i'm praying that it was all for the better!

sixer wiill be good w/out the injuries.

jus watch webber go down iverson go down mashburn will never play. i dont know why thye picked up his contract? robinson's was gona expire..

save the money use it on ray allen michael redd this summer?

Holy crap...Baron Davis is coming to the East Bay :D

I love Speedy Claxton but Baron is a major upgrade at point guard. A Baron Davis/Jason Richardson backcourt could be amazing. I just hope the guy stays healthy.

This marks the first time in a loooong time the Warriors have made a move for a big name player. Hopefully, this is a sign of things to come. Now if we could just get another big man...

My take: The balance of power has completely shifted from West to East, now.  Iverson finally has a true WEAPON at his disposal.  Heat vs Sixers in ECF's.  BANK ON IT.

585525418[/snapback]

Sorry man, but Chris Webber hardly takes with him the "balance of power". It does make things a little more interesting for the Eastern Conference, but nobody from the East can beat the Spurs in a 7-game series. Philly should be entertaining but they are still very young surrounding Webber and Iverson. Next year though...

The kings needs a change, but I still think this is a bad trade. The 76ers did a great job on the deadline, they should be one of the favorite to win the weak Atlantic now.

585525418[/snapback]

nope the Pistons already did that, so you're a little late..

The way I see it, sac-town isnt saving any money with the trade.. and I think they could've done better. Yes philly will win the atlantic division but they still dont have much depth to go far in the playoffs.

nope the Pistons already did that, so you're a little late..

The way I see it, sac-town isnt saving any money with the trade.. and I think they could've done better. Yes philly will win the atlantic division but they still dont have much depth to go far in the playoffs.

585532112[/snapback]

Knowing Phialdelphia sports I say the 76ers make it to the finals and then lose in game 7 by a final game winning shot. :p

Actually I think they would be lucky just to make the playoffs or even get past the first round if they make it there.