How to maintain a healthy Windows System

I like this guy's potential.... 6 posts and he's golden already haha :p

GJ man :)

585556870[/snapback]

What do you mean, I'm pretty new here. Golden?

Moderator.... Me?

As well as a lot of that stuff I use CCleaner and Diskeeper Lite <-- very quick and does the job well.

585547357[/snapback]

Awesome! I didn't know about Diskeeper Lite. I loved the Pro version but got rid of it when I purged all of my pirated software. Thanks a ton!

Awesome!  I didn't know about Diskeeper Lite.  I loved the Pro version but got rid of it when I purged all of my pirated software.  Thanks a ton!

585559094[/snapback]

Same HERE!!!!

OH and I love Tune Up utilities! I use it all the time!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have edited a few bits. The edits are shown below:

Basic Solutions

Simple Stuff

Keep these things in mind when using your computer.

• Don't open E-Mail attachments from people you don't know, and if you do - be careful, run a virus scan on them before opening.
  • Don't run files you don't trust, especially if they are just bare .exe files from a dodgy source.
  • Once you've downloaded a file, run a virus scan on it. Just to make sure, it can't harm you.
  • If your antivirus tells you you've got a virus in your temp internet files, stop browsing that page immediately.
  • Before running a virus scan, clear your temp internet files and clean out the Sun Java Temp folder (more a Firefox thing).
  • Pay close attention to the task manager, if you see a new process there, and you haven't installed anything - be cautious, it may be legit - but do some checking anyway. Google the process name, and run a virus/adware scan.

Third Party Solutions

Perfect Disk 7

This program makes you wonder why you even used the Microsoft Disk Defrragger.

Among other things, it defrags your HDD(s), and optimizes the files, defrags your system page file, and the master file table. Altogether these things may seem insignificant, but together, they've sped up my PC immensely. The computer now boots in about 4 passings of the loading bar. Perfect Disk 7 is made by Raxco Software

Download the trial here.

I really urge you all to buy this software, it's by far the best disk defragmenter on the market.

Copyright ? Nighthawk-F117 2005

585531959[/snapback]

Cool, Update :)

585642846[/snapback]

Thanks, feedback is appreciated.

Just looking at your sig, don't you mean XP Service Pack 2. Build 2600 is Service Pack 2, not Service Pack 1. Isn't it?

Start > Run > winver > Enter

system recovery disks......

585642967[/snapback]

I've never used system recovery disks, so I can't really write about them.

Edited the thread again to include the newer Intel CPU's with EMT64 & Itanium.

RAM - Random Access Memory

Your computer needs this stuff, and the more the better. Any 32bit CPU (Intel Pentium 3, 4, Celeron. AMD Athlon XP, Barton, Sempron) can take 4096MB or 4GB of RAM. A 64bit CPU (AMD Athlon 64, Opteron. Intel Pentium 4 with EMT64, Xeon with EMT 64, Itanium) can handle hundreds of GB of RAM, but the ammount a certain system can take is limited by the motherboard and chipset.

One simple solution to speed your PC up, is to buy more RAM for it. Just check what speed of RAM your Motherboard and CPU can take, and what the maximum amount of RAM your computer will make use of.

Copyright ? Nighthawk-F117 2005

585531959[/snapback]

Just added a massive update. If you've seen the thread before, you'll see it. If you haven't seen the thread before. Have a nice read. :)