Noise Sharpening Foobar2000 plugin.

Question

I didnt make this plugin, but its not very well known here so I thought I would give it some publicity. ssamadhi97 of the Foobar2000 forums made it if you want to give him props.

Summary: the main purpose is to convert an LPCM signal, but even more exciting is the Noise Sharpening DSP.

The noise sharpener adds noise in the inaudible range to increase resolution in the audible range. So more noise shaping->more noise->more audible resolution.

It's the audio equivalent of using an image sharpening filter on your pictures. It makes audio files sound "sharper" (clearer). You WILL notice the difference.

Instructions:

1) put the dll in the components folder of your Foobar2000.

2) Open Foobar2000, go to the DSP manager and put "Noise Sharpening" on the Active DSP list. Make sure its at the top.

3) On Noise Sharpening settings, slide the bar to 50-125%. (Whatever sounds reasonable, I think 50% for beginners, 75-100% for others?)

4) Play any audio file and notice the increased clarity. Activate it and deactivate it while its playing over and over to see the difference.

In sum...I can't see how I didnt use this before.

foo_dsp_delta can be found on this page.

http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/plugins/dsp.php#92

Or since its only 11kb, I mirrored it with an attachment. Enjoy!

If you want to see other plugins by this author, please visit:

http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uybc/

foo_dsp_delta.zip

Edited by neoufo51

It's definitely different, but I'm not sure if its good or not. Case in point: U2's Vertigo, around 2:30 into the song during the chorus, there's an electric guitar in the background. With the sharpening on, it sounds a lot like static. Without sharpening, you can tell it's a guitar.

It's definitely different, but I'm not sure if its good or not. Case in point: U2's Vertigo, around 2:30 into the song during the chorus, there's an electric guitar in the background. With the sharpening on, it sounds a lot like static. Without sharpening, you can tell it's a guitar.

585540663[/snapback]

I can hear the guitar just fine. But then again, I have a high quality VBR recording that averages between 180-320 kbps. You might have only a CBR recording? Those are pretty weak in the first place. I never rip nor download any mp3 unless its VBR encoded with Lame 3.90 or above.

U2 - [Vertigo CDS] Vertigo [3:11]

You guys have to be doing something wrong because if its activated correctly, there is a substantial change in the sound.

585540343[/snapback]

i can tell the difference now only on classical music, thanks a lot man.

Can anyone tell how to do this?

I downloaded the .dll file and put foobar2000 folder and restarted the foobar, and yet i cant see this dsp component anywhere...

Plz help me and expain how to do the same...

Can anyone tell how to do this?

I downloaded the .dll file and put foobar2000 folder and restarted the foobar, and yet i cant see this dsp component anywhere...

Plz help me and expain how to do the same...

585541012[/snapback]

It needs to specifically be in your "components" folder.

It needs to specifically be in your "components" folder.

585541020[/snapback]

Hmm, i put that into the components folder and yet i cant see this dsp manger.., where to i expect to see that dsp manager thing?

Hmm, i put that into the components folder and yet i cant see this dsp manger.., where to i expect to see that dsp manager thing?

585541075[/snapback]

Preferences-->Playback--->DSP Manager

Ok, i added the noise sharpening thing and i dint see the setting, plz tell me where to see the settings and set it to 125...

585541118[/snapback]

You have to close and restart foobar2k so it can work.

If it's not that I don't know what can happen...

Whoa. I don't know how I can leave iTunes, but I think I'm going to have to for this.

585541192[/snapback]

One plugin converting Winamp AND Itunes users...wow.

One plugin converting Winamp AND Itunes users...wow.

585541221[/snapback]

The multimedia player equivalent of the messiah is in da house. But seriously now, iTunes has always annoyed me by being such a resource hog, but it's also so darn good at managing large playlists and my iPod. I'll give the foobar2000 iPod plugin a whirl but I suspect I will need to continue using iTunes for syncing with my iPod.

The multimedia player equivalent of the messiah is in da house. But seriously now, iTunes has always annoyed me by being such a resource hog, but it's also so darn good at managing large playlists and my iPod. I'll give the foobar2000 iPod plugin a whirl but I suspect I will need to continue using iTunes for syncing with my iPod.

585541235[/snapback]

I got this for you from the Foobar forums. Updated Feb 22, 2005.

Make sure to just left click the link, don't right click.

Foo_Pod version 0.9.9d is now available.

This bug fix release fixes the playlist bug reported by NEMO7538, which was introduced in Version 0.9.9 and caused playlists to not be created on the iPod when using the "Send * Playlists To The iPod" features.

Also, one new feature is that if a song has iTunes SoundCheck information in its COMMENT metadata, translate that into a Soundcheck value on the iPod.

http://www.loodi.com/foo_pod.zip

def notice a difference, however in some songs its not for the better :s. in the exmaple you gave of mr brightside the drums sound really jangly and its quite offputting. however, in other songs its amazing, so much clearer. i suppose i can just experiment see what i like. thanks man!

I can hear the guitar just fine. But then again, I have a high quality VBR recording that averages between 180-320 kbps. You might have only a CBR recording? Those are pretty weak in the first place. I never rip nor download any mp3 unless its VBR encoded with Lame 3.90 or above. 

U2 - [Vertigo CDS] Vertigo [3:11]

585540664[/snapback]

You're a picky audiophile snob now aren't you?! :p

The plug-in doesn't make much difference on some rock and esp rap music. It works best on jazz, blues and most pop music.

def notice a difference, however in some songs its not for the better :s. in the exmaple you gave of mr brightside the drums sound really jangly and its quite offputting. however, in other songs its amazing, so much clearer. i suppose i can just experiment see what i like. thanks man!

585542008[/snapback]

What bitrate is your Mr. Brightside recorded at?

You're a picky audiophile snob now aren't you?!  :p

The plug-in doesn't make much difference on some rock and esp rap music. It works best on jazz, blues and most pop music.

585542246[/snapback]

You can always experiment with the slider settings. Some people like 50% some like 100%, some people like 125%