2005 MLB Discussion

spring training games start in the next day or two for most teams, so i thought it was time to get this started.

I'm especially excited because we signed Tim Hudson to a 4 year contract today, with an option for a 5th year. so our rotation is looking pretty good the next few years:

Hudson - signed through 2008 with an option for 2009

Smoltz - signed through 2006 with a clause likely keeping him through 2007

Thompson - through 2005 with an option for 2006

Hampton - through 2008

Ramirez - through 2008

there are some questions in the outfield, but i think we'll be fine.

Here are my preseason picks

National League

East

Atlanta

Florida

New York Mets

Philadelphia

Washington

Central

St. Louis

Chicago Cubs

Cincinatti

Houston

Pittsburgh

Milwaukee

West

San Diego

Los Angeles

Arizona

San Francisco

Colorado

Wild Card - Chicago Cubs

American League

East

Boston

New York Yankees

Baltimore

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Central

Cleveland

Detroit

Chicago White Sox

Minnesota

Kansas City

West

Anaheim, Los Angeles Angels of (wtf.)

Seattle

Oakland

Texas

Wild Card - New York Yankees

World Series - Braves over Red Sox :D

BOOG, do you think we could start the favorite team thread back up this year? several new members since last season.

c'mon guys. you know since the red sox won it last year, this is the year for the CUBBIES!!!! :D :D

can't wait...

c'mon guys.  you know since the red sox won it last year, this is the year for the CUBBIES!!!! :D :D

can't wait...

585553719[/snapback]

no, sorry, but its the year of the Texas Rangers!!! :D (Y)

I can't believe you picked Boston to win the East. Pitching wins and Boston's pitching went down the tubes this Winter after loosing Pedro and Lowe. YANKS 2005....f Boston

National League

East

Atlanta

New York Mets

Florida

Philadelphia

Washington

Central

St. Louis*

Chicago Cubs

Cincinatti

Houston

Pittsburgh

Milwaukee

West

San Francisco

San Diego

Los Angeles

Arizona

Colorado

Wild Card - New York Mets

American League

East

New York Yankees

Boston

Baltimore

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Central

Minnesota

Cleveland

Detroit

Chicago White Sox

Kansas City

West

Anaheim*

Oakland

Seattle

Texas

Wild Card - Boston/Oakland (I really think the Red Sox are jinxing themselves with all the off-season garbage going on.)

*=best record

NLCS - Atlanta v. St. Louis

ALCS - Anaheim v. New York Yankees

World Series - Atlanta v. Anaheim

c'mon guys.  you know since the red sox won it last year, this is the year for the CUBBIES!!!! :D :D

can't wait...

585553719[/snapback]

I'm going to back BroChaos on this one because we our both HUGE cub fans.

Go Cubs!

Go Yankees!

I can't wait to see Randy Johnson as a Yankee... see what he can still do!

585554960[/snapback]

IMHO, the Yankees and Steinbrenner ruin baseball.

IMHO, the Yankees and Steinbrenner ruin baseball.

585554975[/snapback]

That's probably the most incorrect statement ever. The Yankees, love them or hate them, propel baseball to new heights. When they go on the road, the team they face has increased attendance. Some of the most watched games on TV are Yankees games. Over in Japan, the Yankees are HUGE and, since the Matsui aquisition, they have grown even more. The Yankees are a symbol of baseball. They are baseball's highlight team. I love them, you hate them.....either way, without them, the league would not be as popular as it is, not even close.

That's probably the most incorrect statement ever. The Yankees, love them or hate them, propel baseball to new heights. When they go on the road, the team they face has increased attendance. Some of the most watched games on TV are Yankees games. Over in Japan, the Yankees are HUGE and, since the Matsui aquisition, they have grown even more. The Yankees are a symbol of baseball. They are baseball's highlight team. I love them, you hate them.....either way, without them, the league would not be as popular as it is, not even close.

585555361[/snapback]

Touche BangBang, you make a good arguement. But in the same sense do the Yankees not have an outrageous payroll past the $200 million mark? They take all of the big stars and put them on their team, in order to stack the Yankees. I mean you can make a good arguement that it just makes teams play harder when they play the yankees but year in and year out the Yankees take away a playoff position from a team who IMO deserves it more, for building their players up from the farm leagues rather than picking all-stars up out of free-agency.

585555361[/snapback]

I totally agree with every bit of that statement.

The biggest thing I look forward to is seeing Boston & the Yankees play together. They are the Rusty Wallace & Dale Earnhardt (back in the early 90s when Rusty actually won races) of baseball. Those two teams make baseball in my opinion.

Touche BangBang, you make a good arguement. But in the same sense do the Yankees not have an outrageous payroll past the $200 million mark? They take all of the big stars and put them on their team, in order to stack the Yankees. I mean you can make a good arguement that it just makes teams play harder when they play the yankees but year in and year out the Yankees take away a playoff position from a team who IMO deserves it more, for building their players up from the farm leagues rather than picking all-stars up out of free-agency.

585555465[/snapback]

So what if they have the largest payroll?

American League

East

Boston

New York Yankees

Baltimore

Tampa Bay

Toronto

585552421[/snapback]

Boston over New York? Yeah right! In Stinky Sock's fans dreams :rofl: The Yankees' problem last year was the bullpen, this year we have an awesome bullpen. Now that both sides, offense and defense, are up to the best possible, we'll stomp all over the Red Sox. Piece of Cake :yes:

So what if they have the largest payroll?

585555479[/snapback]

I am just saying IMO its not great to have one team with the biggest payroll, I just think it needs to be a little more "even."

I will admit though that without the Yankees a large chunk of baseball would be gone.

LOL your predictions for the NL West (and overall) are pretty laughable.

When it comes to sports analyzing, don't quit your day job!

585555500[/snapback]

no, i realize my picks are out there.. but i always pick a lot of underdogs.. i like to think most of my analysis ive posted here over the years is pretty sound though

no, i realize my picks are out there.. but i always pick a lot of underdogs.. i like to think most of my analysis ive posted here over the years is pretty sound though

585556139[/snapback]

"Out there" is an understatement :p Have you even been following the NL West in the offseason?

And you do realize your Braves won't make it past the NLDS like they do almost every year in recent memory, right?

where are your picks? just curious to see who the experts are picking this year

585559322[/snapback]

I usually don't make picks to avoid sounding pretentious, but since you asked:

National League

East

Florida

Atlanta

Philadelphia

New York Mets

Washington

Central

St. Louis

Chicago Cubs

Cincinatti

Houston

Pittsburgh

Milwaukee

West

San Francisco

San Diego

Los Angeles

Arizona

Colorado

Wild Card - Chicago Cubs

American League

East

New York Yankees

Boston

Baltimore

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Central

Cleveland

Minnesota

Detroit

Chicago White Sox

Kansas City

West

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Seattle

Oakland

Texas

Wild Card - Boston

I can't believe you picked Boston to win the East.  Pitching wins and Boston's pitching went down the tubes this Winter after loosing Pedro and Lowe.  YANKS 2005....f Boston

585554310[/snapback]

I'm assuming you're a Yankees fan, so I find it curious that you are talking about the Red Sox pitching? Sure they lost Pedro and Lowe but they replaced them with Clement and Wells. Having seen Clement the last 3 years I know he'll be a more than adequate replacement for either of the two losses and if he ever gets any run support I'm sure the Yankees will wish they got him instead of Jared Wright.

As for my predictions, well they'd go like this:

NL East

Atlanta Braves

Florida Marlins *

Philadelphia Phillies

New York Mets

Washington Nationals

NL Central

Chicago Cubs

St. Louis Cardinals

Cincinatti Reds

Houston Astros

Milwaukee Brewers

Pittsburgh Pirates

NL West

San Fransisco Giants ^

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Dodgers

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

AL East

New York Yankees ^

Boston Red Sox *

Baltimore Orioles

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

AL Central

Minnesota Twins

Cleveland Indians

Chicago White Sox

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals

AL West

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Texas Rangers

Oakland A's

Seattle Mariners

* = Wild Card, ^ = Best Record

WS: Cubs over Angels in 6

i'd love to see the cubs play either the dodgers or angels in the WS. just so i could go to a game. my life would be complete.

On a quick sidenote for all the Cubs fans that visit this thread, I made a Cubs Calender/Schedule wallpaper if anyone is interested. Right now I've only finished March and April and it is colored to match my VS (OpusOS) but I just thought I'd share.

Just visit: http://www.geocities.com/cubfan1981/