WEP Encryption For Dummies

WEP Encrption For Dummies

by: !slanq

Hello guys, islanq here back from a fresh Neowin suspension. Well anyway, my business partner just purchased a Dell 700m. The 1st thing that happend when we turned it on was "you are now connected to a wireless network". DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU. In these 8 simple steps I will teach you how to protect yourself from wardrivers, snoopers, and other wireless predators.

The 1st thing we need to do is log into our router (this can be done with any machine connected to your wireless network) INCLUDING PEOPLE YOU DON'T KNOW! If you don't already have a password on your router GET ONE!

Open your browser IE or Firefox, etc.. by typing http://192.168.1.1

Other routers are different.

Netgear 192.168.0.1

Belkin 192.168.2.1

consult your manufature website for your login IP.

1routerlogin.gif

Next you will be promted for a login and pass. By default they are usually admin/admin, admin/ no password (like i said before SETUP A GOOD PASSWORD).

2login.gif

After loging in, find your wireless security tab (differnt manufactures very)

3wireless_security.gif

Now you are going to drop down to "WEP"

4chooseWEP.gif

From here we have a choice of 64bit or 128bit WEP encryption. I'm going with 64bit (128bit will provide better protection but 64bit is good for most home users).

5_64or128.gif

Now you must enter a "keyphrase", exampled where I typed "keyphrase".

6keyphrase.gif

Now generate click the "generate" button to generate your hexi decimial login password. (some routers will also provide an ASII password which is usuable as well). DO NOT LOSE THESE KEYS!!!!

WEP...tekeyphrase.gif

Now go ahead and apply your new settings and your done. ;)

8savesettings.gif

It is normal for ALL wirless connected devices to be kick of the network. When they go to reconnect just use one of the keys to log in. Enjoy your new secure network. (Y)

Edited by islanq

I've disabled my WEP encryption about a month or so ago, but I noticed things were slowing down (leechers?), so I put it back up. The only thing is, my Linksys Wireless Gaming adapter isn't compatible with WEP encryption (even though it says it is). Anyway, is there a way I can enable/disable quickly without having to go into the router setup? Or is there a way I can get this to recognize my encrypted wireless connection for my PS2?

I've disabled my WEP encryption about a month or so ago, but I noticed things were slowing down (leechers?), so I put it back up. The only thing is, my Linksys Wireless Gaming adapter isn't compatible with WEP encryption (even though it says it is). Anyway, is there a way I can enable/disable quickly without having to go into the router setup? Or is there a way I can get this to recognize my encrypted wireless connection for my PS2?

585568911[/snapback]

No I don't think they have advanced enough software to recognize WEP encyption. You can however use this method to login to the router more quickly ;)

linksyslogin.gif

Just make a web shortcut.

Is it secure to make only enough IP address(3 for 3 clients only) and reserve them for the MAC of the clients?

I have one wireless client on my LAN and it can't surf when WEP is on, maybe its too far away?

only dummies use WEP. Real smart people use WPA with AES.  :yes:

585569095[/snapback]

Unfortunately not all devices support AES, i'm stuck using TKIP.

Wireless users can't access the linksys web configuration. This is a setting in the recent firmware.

"Wireless Access Web" this should be defaulted to deny.

585568911[/snapback]

I beleive you have to attach that gaming adaptor to your computer to configure it for WEP.

only dummies use WEP. Real smart people use WPA with AES.  :yes:

585569095[/snapback]

Exactly! :laugh:

Except for that, nice work with the guide.

• 2 months later...