[NCAA] Ohio State upsets #1 Illinois

congrats to Illinois for coming this close. hopefully this will make unc number 1 when the poll comes out tomorrow. :devil:

edit: its NCAA not NCCA

Great great game I watched the whole thing, i'm sorry IlliniPi but that was a great game.

Go Buckeyes!

It's too bad. They should have stayed with their usual game of ball movement and outside shooting instead of trying to drive to the basket and play inside. Oh well, hopefully they'll whip the conference back into shape in the Big Ten tourney and continue on into the big dance.

p.s. I'm sick of hearing about UNC, hopefully they'll lose to Duke (again) later today.

Illinois should still be #1 overall.

no question about it. yet everywhere i look there's talk of people putting UNC #1. HOW????

how do you put a 3 loss team (who lost to santa clara high school) above a 1 loss team who lost by 1 on the road.

please, i know you all hate illinois, since they aren't from the ACC, but c'mon, be logical.

oh well, i guess thats what you get for reading espn, where you aren't good if you aren't in the acc.

I agree with thrice, illinois should be keeping the #1 ranking. It's not like they were blown out at home. UNC is good, but they don't deserve the #1 ranking with 3 losses to Illinois' 1 loss. It was sad to see my alma mater lose :(

illinois should keep the #1 ranking despite this loss IMO

585577854[/snapback]

i think they will, their still the best in the country IMO.

Grr, damn thread title. I swear the 'C' jumped under my finger.

Anyways, theres no possible way Illinois loses their #1 ranking mostly because no other team can take it from them. NC beat Duke but this was by a very close margin, and at home? You're killing me Tarheels, just blow out Redick for once.

Im from the Illini's hometown, and it sucked badly that they couldn't hit any shots that game. It isn't that bad tho because it wasn't that Ohio played well at all, just that we didn't have it :( .. i think we could beat any team as the whole team is amazingly good!!!! I have rooted for UNC up until a few years ago.. :D

Title Edited

If the Illini lose the #1 rank, then the NCAA has lost all credibility whatsoever. The illini lose by 1 on a last second three pointer, while UNC loses to Santa Clara School of the Blind.

I'm with everyone else who thinks that the Illini shouldn't lose their number 1 ranking.

It took the best game by Ohio State coinciding with the worst game all year by the Illini (shot 38%, 11% less then their season average) to barely lose by 1 point on the road.

While UNC does play in a tougher conference, their play all season doesn't put them at number 1. I still think they are a slightly better team than the Illini. The Tarheels barely beat an undermanned, overrated Duke team at home.

I'm not sure whether this loss is good for them or not since that seems to be the argument most analysts are making. I do know one thing though, this'll teach the Illini to play to win as opposed to "not lose".

I'd have to say this is going to help the Illini immensely. They've got a fire under their ass and Weber is going to push them hard now. They'll play their hearts out the rest of the season and barring any unforseen injuries or bad officiating, I see the Illini in the Final Four. A bit off subject, but who do you see in the Final Four with the Illini?

honestly i don't see kentucky, kansas or wake doing very well. damn, so early for final four, i need to study and then get back to you next monday ;)

Title Edited

If the Illini lose the #1 rank, then the NCAA has lost all credibility whatsoever.  The illini lose by 1 on a last second three pointer, while UNC loses to Santa Clara School of the Blind.

585581813[/snapback]

I guess you forgot that was the first game of the year. Anyway (Flame Suit on)

Illinois is overrated in the Medium 10 (Skip Bayless) and will get thomped by someone they don't expect.

UNC should win it all as long as McCants is healthy when the Tourney starts next Friday. I'll be there in Charlotte cheering them on.

And, I am a Devil fan so there.

I don't fully understand how the Big 10 not being a strong conference overall has any affect as to the quality of Illinois' team. UNC lost to Wake, and Illinois beat Wake. Wake lost to Duke, but Duke lost to UNC (barely).

My final four would be: Illinois, UNC, Wake, and either Louisville or UConn depending on which bracket UConn is placed in.

it was close...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal.../polls/2004/ap/ (Illinois 1725 - UNC 1701)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal...s/2004/coaches/ (Illinois 761 - UNC 754)

585584343[/snapback]

way closer than it should have been. at least it wasn't that close in terms of first place votes.

to me, all this proves, is how worthless the polls are. if there are that many writers/coaches who think a 3 loss team should be ranked higher than a 1 loss team, just puts their credability to shame, and they should never be allowed to write about basketball again.

and don't forget what illinois did to wake forrest. 30+ pts they were up by. yes, i know it was home court, but home court only gets you maybe a 10pt advantage, not 30.

way closer than it should have been.  at least it wasn't that close in terms of first place votes.

to me, all this proves, is how worthless the polls are.  if there are that many writers/coaches who think a 3 loss team should be ranked higher than a 1 loss team, just puts their credability to shame, and they should never be allowed to write about basketball again. 

and don't forget what illinois did to wake forrest.  30+ pts they were up by.  yes, i know it was home court, but home court only gets you maybe a 10pt advantage, not 30.

585584543[/snapback]

I'm iffy about that home court and 10pts (forumla please? :p) Anyway, both teams have changed from that game, plus they will be on Neutral (more or less) court with A LOT more at stake. Eventhough I hate Wake (not as bad as Maryland), Skippy won't let Wake get blown out the door again, especially when they clamp down on the press. Also, who does Illinois have to stop Eric Williams... assuming he stays clean and no cheap fouls.

I guess you forgot that was the first game of the year. Anyway (Flame Suit on)

Illinois is overrated in the Medium 10 (Skip Bayless) and will get thomped by someone they don't expect.

UNC should win it all as long as McCants is healthy when the Tourney starts next Friday. I'll be there in Charlotte cheering them on.

And, I am a Devil fan so there.

585583672[/snapback]

Illinois won their first game of the season. Your point?

The Illini tore apart Wake forest when people were saying they were going to be the team to beat.

Ohio State ain't Santa Clara.