AP Calculus/AP Statistics

Which one is harder: AP Calculus or AP Statistics? Has anyone ever taken statistics before? What do they do in statistics? Do you think I'd be able to survive these classes if I averaged a B- in pre-calc?

Thanks!

Stats is ass easy. It's a calculator class. If you enjoy math, do Calc. If you enjoy writing and analysis, so Stats. Be wary however, if you go into any major having anything to do with math/science, you will need to take Statistics with Calculus, so your AP Stats credits won't do you much good. I took both, Stats was a waste of time for me, but then again, I'm going to be a math major :D

If you enjoy math, take both...

As Antipop stated, if you're going to major in engineering or science, an AP stats credit will be useless, as you'll have to take it over again in college (statistics using calculus).

Both are relatively easy, though.

If you are going into engineering / sciences and will need calc in your future, take AP calc so you have a more solid math base going into college. If you are going to be focusing more on liberal arts, knowing statistics will be more helpful in interpreting media, etc. I didn't take AP stats in HS, but statistics in college is a LOT easier than calc, so I can only assume its similar at the HS level.

they're both easy (i did ib, though), so you should take both. you need to know calculus and statistics in university, so it helps. this also depends on your major. if you want to choose, pick the one that's more closely related to what you plan on doing.

I'm in both right now. Calc is probably harder, but they are both easy. Personally I think stats is a joke... for the first 4 months we learned about 'means' and 'medians' and all the same stuff we learned in 4th grade. There is also a bunch of the same stuff about probabilitiy you're learning in pre-calc. It's easy, go for it.

statistics can be categorized in 2 ways. continous and discrete. Continuous is pretty much all calculus. If the stats you do is remotely usefull it probably has calculus in it.

Scientists and engineers need both.

If your going to need calc in college, AP calc would definately be worth it. Especially if you get a good teacher.

585579904[/snapback]

I've heard that AP Stats is the easiest AP there is...

statistics can be categorized in 2 ways. continous and discrete. Continuous is pretty much all calculus. If the stats you do is remotely usefull it probably has calculus in it.

585579877[/snapback]

very true. when i had to calculate expectations for my game theory thesis, i had to use double integrals of continuous functions. the transition from discrete to continuous is pretty intuitive, though.

but discrete statistics is useful at the most basic level. everyone should know what a mean is and what degrees of freedom are. if statistics takes you into understanding homoskedasticity in regressions, etc., it's also helpful.

585579877[/snapback]

So if I'm going to be taking AP Calculus and AP Statistics at the same time, there's a chance I won't understand the continuous statistics portion since it involves calculus?

I'm not really a math genius (got a B- in pre-calc, my lowest semester grade ever on my transcript), so any predictions on how I'll fare?

Thanks.

So if I'm going to be taking AP Calculus and AP Statistics at the same time, there's a chance I won't understand the continuous statistics portion since it involves calculus?

I'm not really a math genius (got a B- in pre-calc, my lowest semester grade ever on my transcript), so any predictions on how I'll fare?

Thanks.

585583377[/snapback]

AP Stat almost definitely does not cover the calc - based portions. Calculus would be listed as a pre-req for the course if it was necessary to know.

585583377[/snapback]

If you were in Pre-calc AP and got a B- then you could get into Calc AP, but you would have difficulty unless you increase your effort.

AP Calc BC (AB is just slower) by far, a bunch of my friends that are in trig/math analysis are also in AP Stats and say it's cake. Our AP Stats teacher lets you do whatever you want (sleep, play cards, etc.) as long as you don't disrupt the class.

I don't see the point of AP courses anymore. What you learn is pretty trivial. Big deal compared to high school but still a wading pool. Without first principals you don't really understand. It takes a while to get there but you'll know what i mean ;) Just pick anything because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

I don't see the point of AP courses anymore. What you learn is pretty trivial. Big deal compared to high school but still a wading pool. Without first principals you don't really understand. It takes a while to get there but you'll know what i mean ;) Just pick anything because in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter.

585584840[/snapback]

Classes pertaining to your area of study are useless in the sense that you will almost never get 'college credit' for them, but are good to strengthen your background in the subject before tackling it at the college level. AP classes are great for getting college credit for courses that do not pertain to your major. Just one less thing to have to worry about in college. More than anything AP classes are beneficial by their increased requirements and expectations of students. Time management and good study habits formed and high school play a critical role in a students success in college / careers.