[How to] System Airflow

my thought is:

if you have intake > exhaust, then you have a buildup of fast-moving particles, which generates heat.? it's basically like an oven.

586277463[/snapback]

I'm not sure where you came up with that theory, but it is interesting. However, I've conducted numerous cooling experiments using all 3 fan setups (intake>, neutral, <outtake) on 3 different cases and have found no evidence of the air inside a case heating up due to increased levels of cool (room temperature) air being pumped into the case. In fact, my test results seem to show the exact opposite.

I am in no way an expert in physics or chemistry, but I have put quite a bit of time into discovering which cooling setup seems to work the best with what limited resources I have. My results show that increased airflow into the case with a blowhole at the top or top-front of the case provides better cooling results than increasing the air output. It also provides a cleaner environment inside the case because you are taking control of [where] the air enters your case (see my first post), which in turn allows you to filter those entrance points with dust filters.

If you're reading this and wondering which fan setup approach to take, I think there is one thing you need to take into consideration: What works good for me or for someone else may or may not work good for you. Your equipment may produce different results than those posted by myself or someone else. The theories & results provided here should be taken with a grain of salt. So, play around with each cooling/fan setup (intake> vs. = vs. <outtake) for a few days and see which setup gives you the results you're looking for.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I'm a novice with cooling issues, and heatsinks--don't want to take back to PC Shop if I can help it, do i install the Dust filter, used dryer sheets or something behind case fan door, or in the case in front of my intake fan. Would like to eliminate as much dust as possible, as well as get CPU temp lower, and all other temps if possible, I know I can find used dryer sheets all over the place if those are ok to use, and I know where to put it at.

Be advised, way my case is setup--the front intake fan is behind the front bezel lower part.

post-106584-1125163063.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am just posting this image to make sure that I did it right.

I have three case fans (one in back, one on side and one in front under the hard drive).

The back fan is blowing hot air out, and the side and front fans are sucking air in, but I only plug in my front fan when absolutely required because it's the loudest fan in the system, so I only have the side fan sucking in most of the time. Is this acceptable?

The P4 3.0 Ghz Prescott has a stock fan sucking air at it through it's heatsink. The grahics card has a very small fan too blowing down (well up) at the heatsink. Only have a output fan in my stock PSU.

I know about the cables. I have pushed some of the cables up and held it up there using ties.

Just looking at ways to improve system temperatures for the coming summer.

post-30282-1129163428.jpg

I am just posting this image to make sure that I did it right.

I have three case fans (one in back, one on side and one in front under the hard drive).

The back fan is blowing hot air out, and the side and front fans are sucking air in, but I only plug in my front fan when absolutely required because it's the loudest fan in the system, so I only have the side fan sucking in most of the time. Is this acceptable?

The P4 3.0 Ghz Prescott has a stock fan sucking air at it through it's heatsink. The grahics card has a very small fan too blowing down (well up) at the heatsink. Only have a output fan in my stock PSU.

I know about the cables. I have pushed some of the cables up and held it up there using ties.

Just looking at ways to improve system temperatures for the coming summer.

586663937[/snapback]

If your psu isn't dual fan then i suggest you reverse the flow of that side fan to exhaust

Yeah but what about intake? I don't have the front fan on all the time, or should I? It's a pity that I have to put up with noise from that front fan. The front fan is the same type as the side and back. I bought the fan a month ago.

And no my PSU only have a single outtake fan. Yeah, I know i am investing in getting a better one atm.

3.0 pressies get hot really hot if you look at the first pics i posted when making this thread that is what was in that system, i didn't care if my system sounded like a jet, it stayed cool. But then again i had an asus mobo which had q-fan technology which you can enable in the BIOS, its up to you bro. What q -fan does is adjust the speed of the fans for you according to the temperature of the cpu, if it gets hotter your fans will get load (100% cpu loads) if it is not working hard your fans will quiet down (idling)