Mac Mini vs. Comparable Spec PC

I found this article while browsing MacAddict. They compare the Price of a comparable spec PC to the Mac Mini and discuesses the myth that Mac's are more expensive than PCs. I thought I'd share it and get other people's opinions. I expect a certain amount of flaming as a result of this, and I apoligize for that, but I post this as a reasonably unbiased person.

http://osviews.com/modules.php?op=modload&...rticle&sid=3243

i think this post says it all

"As a Mac user, Mac lover, and Mac publisher, I think the Mac mini represents a whole lot of computer for the money, but that doesn't give us any right to create fictional comparisons.

Nobody buys a Mac to get Marble Blaster Gold and Nanosaur. It's silly to add that to the PC side of things.

The Mac mini may come with iDVD, but you can't use it to burn DVDs unless you order the SuperDrive for $100 more, so there's no sense adding Ulead DVD to the PC system.

The other factor is convenience. How long will you spend shopping the right part and assembling the computer? The Mac mini is ready to go from the factory.

More than that, how much time are you going to spend setting up and updating anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-adware software - even if you use the best of the free stuff?

Time is money, and that's where buying a Mac, a Dell, or even a white box special from a local vendor beats DIY hands down. DIY is for the computer hobbyist, not the average consumer.

Dan Knight, lowendmac.com"

because i was bored...

case/psu- 40

16x dual layer DVDRW- 50

Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 512MBx2 DDR PC-3200 - 105

80 GB 7200rpm hdd w/8mb buffer 57

nforce4 mobo - 109

athlon 64 3000-153

nVIDIA GeForce 6200 Video Card with Turbo Cache supporting 128MB PCI-Express-70

so that comes out to 584, about the same price as a mac mini with 512mb ram. i did not include OS/software because linux is free and is better than windows, so i see absouletly no reason to add the cost of windows ot the system. if oyu wanted to however, you could decrease the ram and get a 2800 instead of the 3000. also, i got these from neweggs front page. jsut random parts. if i actualyl researched it i coulve gotten a much better deal.

so lets compare

cpu- 1.25ghz G4 vs. 3000 athlon 64

512mb pc 2700 vs. 1GB dual channel pc 3200

40gb 4200rpm vs. 80gb 7200rpm

combo drive vs. dual layer dvd burner

radeon 9200 32mb vs. PCIe 6200 up to 128mb(system ram)

10/100 vs. 10/100/1000

DVI vs. VGA/DVI/TV

Do you live in a perfect world or something?

- Everyone knows how to build a computer.

- Everyone can be stuffed to build a computer.

- Everyone who knows how to build computers, knows how to compact all the hardware down to fit in a case as small as a Mac mini.

- Everyone knows where to get Linux for free.

- Everyone can just change their OS to Linux for Home, School and Work.

- There are heaps on great apps like iLife, on Linux.

i said you can take the ram down to 512/768 and get it from a cheaper company, get a 2800 instead of a 3000 and have enough money to buy windows xp, if you wanted to.

and while i personally wouldnt buy it, you can always go this route. and it comes wiht kb/mouse/speakers. this too is waay better than the mac mini, and definetly is a lot better than the POS the guy came up with in his comparison.

http://e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T5026

Edited by g-n-t

i said you can take the ram down to 512/768 and get it from a cheaper company, get a 2800 instead of a 3000 and have enough money to buy windows xp, if you wanted to.

and while i personally wouldnt buy it, you can always go this route. and it comes wiht kb/mouse/speakers. this too is waay better than the mac mini, and definetly is a lot better than the POS the guy came up with in his comparison.

http://e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T5026

585600759[/snapback]

That computer does have better hardware specs, but I think you're missing part of the point here. Many, many people WANT a Mac, badly, but just could not afford one or couldn't decide to pay for the iMac (eMacs just don't count here, seriously). Now they can get a Mac for $500. Also of note is the fact that this is the Mac mini, as in, it's friggin tiny. Have you seen this computer in person? I have, and it is SHOCKINGLY small, seriously. That eMachines computer is a normal desktop PC. And by the way, eMachines friggin' suck. The amount of money you save will never be enough when you start having problems with that computer. I've heard nothing but bad things about the quality of product that comes out of that company.

i understand that. but the article was saying that for 580 dollars, a mac mini can outperform a 580 dollar pc. we arent talking about software or looks or service. you simply cant deny that every single feature of both the DIY system i posted and the emachines is better than the mac mini.

and while emachines used to suck ass, they have improved a lot with their newer models.

i've stood on both sides of the fence, and without any doubt in my mind as a consumer, pc enthusiast and business man, a mac mini is a better "bang for the buck" then any comparable size and usage model avaiable on the X86 platform no questions asked.

the ease of use, accesability and overall system wide performance is unrivaled in that price range.

btw i own a

3500+ newcastle AMD box

mac mini 1.4 1gb ram

dual g5 1.8ghz 2gb ram

love all my systems but $ value the mini rocks the cash box.

well the comparable size model in the x86 platform is a POS. the thing is that the article has nothing to do with size and looks. its all to do with price/performance.

macs have always been horrible at this, and they still are. this article is just plain wrong.

Apple needs to include a screen and mouse and keyboard for the Mac mini for an extra $100-$150. So it can truly compete with the $599-$700 pc's.

585600819[/snapback]

they call it the emac, and they havent updated it in a year. it is probably the worst mac you can buy right now. i wouldnt be surprised if they just scrap it altogether soon.

That computer does have better hardware specs, but I think you're missing part of the point here.  Many, many people WANT a Mac, badly, but just could not afford one or couldn't decide to pay for the iMac (eMacs just don't count here, seriously).  Now they can get a Mac for $500.  Also of note is the fact that this is the Mac mini, as in, it's friggin tiny.  Have you seen this computer in person?  I have, and it is SHOCKINGLY small, seriously.  That eMachines computer is a normal desktop PC.  And by the way, eMachines friggin' suck.  The amount of money you save will never be enough when you start having problems with that computer.  I've heard nothing but bad things about the quality of product that comes out of that company.

585600786[/snapback]

Yeah but you can build a very nice nForce2 + Sempron system in a Shuttle XPC case for less, with far more power and greater features.

It's not quite as tiny, no. But they're still bad ass.

Also, that comparison is a joke.

If you're building a DIY PC, you won't buy the retail copy of Windows XP - you'll buy the OEM one from NewEgg.

You won't buy a P4 that isn't made anymore (paying $145?!?) or a super-expensive obsolete motherboard... you'll buy a Celeron "D" 2.4Ghz or an AMD Athlon/Sempron 2500 for $70, and a better motherboard for $60. And your system will be way faster than the Mac Mini.

Why would he include a $50 Adobe photo program, when Windows XP users get Photostory 3 (a superior product to iPhoto) for FREE?

they call it the emac, and they havent updated it in a year. it is probably the worst mac you can buy right now. i wouldnt be surprised if they just scrap it altogether soon.

585600823[/snapback]

How is it the "worst Mac you can buy"? It is quite literally (spec-wise) a Mac mini with a CRT, mouse, and keyboard.

Yeah but you can build a very nice nForce2 + Sempron system in a Shuttle XPC case for less, with far more power and greater features.

It's not quite as tiny, no.  But they're still bad ass.

585600888[/snapback]

A Shuttle XPC case is roughly the same size as an old Mac Cube. The mini is literally 1/5 the size of the Cube. The only PC's even close in size to the mini are the Cappuccinos, and the barebones case and motherboard for one of them (no drives, processor, or RAM) cost as much as the mini.

i love these "my mac is better than your pc" threads ... they just make me laugh ...

... initial cost is only a small chunk of the pie, try replacing a mac part ... better hope you're holding down two jobs (the same can be said for dell and other major PC manufacturers) ... basically the cost of not knowing jack **** about computers.

... anyway, i laugh ... haha ... go mac fanboys go go go!!

i love these "my mac is better than your pc" threads ... they just make me laugh ...

... initial cost is only a small chunk of the pie, try replacing a mac part ... better hope you're holding down two jobs (the same can be said for dell and other major PC manufacturers) ... basically the cost of not knowing jack **** about computers.

... anyway, i laugh ... haha ... go mac fanboys go go go!!

585601918[/snapback]

I hope you aren't trying to imply that everyone who buys a major brand computer doesn't know anything about computers. Hey, I've probably been building and customizing computers since before you were born (since most people on Neowin are under 18, it's a fairly safe bet for me). For the most part, Mac parts aren't any more expensive than PC parts (because they can use the same damned parts). Just goes to show that you are the one who doesn't know jack s*** about computers.

edit: By the way, I looked at your profile, and I was wrong about your age. Sorry. I am only 6 years older than you.

There is no spec comparison to be made here. It doesn't matter if you're PC had a 2.4ghz processor or a 500mhz if all you're doing is surfing the web.

If you want a top end PC, you probably play games on it. No contest, get a Windows box, spend thousands of dollars on it, and be happy. If you're like most people and just want something functional, the minis amazingly small form factor is of great appeal. Either way, I think the two are mostly incomparable. My PC, with a 1.7ghz Athlon and a 9600XT, couldn't run emulated dock software or expose as quickly as my mini can natively on a 9200. In terms of usefullness, there's a big divide there.

I really dont understand why people keep trying to compare PC's with MAC's it is a totally rediculous move.

For a start the programming language built into OSX is diffrent to XP and will make the way applications function differ from XP, also the way the G4/G5 are designed is also diffrent from that of a standard pc chip.

TBH if someone wants a mac then they want a mac if not stick with a pc but i wish people would stop comparing deals, at the end of the day you pay for quality and if u get less with a mac than you would with a emachine then that tells you something.

Rich

There is no spec comparison to be made here. It doesn't matter if you're PC had a 2.4ghz processor or a 500mhz if all you're doing is surfing the web.

If you want a top end PC, you probably play games on it. No contest, get a Windows box, spend thousands of dollars on it, and be happy. If you're like most people and just want something functional, the minis amazingly small form factor is of great appeal. Either way, I think the two are mostly incomparable. My PC, with a 1.7ghz Athlon and a 9600XT, couldn't run emulated dock software or expose as quickly as my mini can natively on a 9200. In terms of usefullness, there's a big divide there.

585602310[/snapback]

couple things,

i agree with you, i wasnt trying to compare the mac mini to a pc, i was simply stating that hte comparison made in the article was flawed. if you want to do a spec to spec comparison between the two, the pc wins every time.

i realise that there are some people that would like a mac mini(id like one, but i really dont need one and cant justify paying for it at all) and they should buy it. but i think that this crap being posted all over the internet that apple has the best price:performance ratios and the fastest personal computer in the world needs to stop.

as for the dock question, have you tried moby dock? its not fair to compare a cpu accelerated dock to an opengl one. as for usefullness, objectdock pro is far better than the OSX dock.