Router keeps turning off every few hours

I hooked up both my friend's PC and mine on a Netgear Cable / DSL Web Safe Router Gateway RP614v2 and it keeps turning itself off every 3-4 hours or so (just the internet, not the actual router's power supply). We can be doing something as simple as using MSN or AIM and the connection will simply drop out. Any ideas? :unsure:

I don't know if this is common among Netgear products or something but this happens to my Netgear W-LAN router. Though I can't remember the modell atm. I put it like this, if you can, return that Netgear product and get some quality brand like D-Link, LinkSys, whatever.. as long as it's not Netgear :)

(And yes, I truely hate Netgear products :pinch: )

Edit, sorry I have nothing more to contribute with. I had a hard two weeks trying to make my netgear router working at home and at the end I just switched back to my D-Link so I have no solution, sorry :/

I should note that it's not a wireless network, as I had to help him install an ethernet card in his PC as it did not have one before. I do not have such a network in here right now anyway. Plus I don't have enough money to purchase a new router right now anyway. :(

I agree with biorK...

gone through three of them and they all went the same way... changed to 3Com and have never had a problem with the connection...

Have you tried the connection without the router connected using the same programs...?

Have you checked the logs of the router and how much traffic is going through the router...?

Clear the logs from the router... reboot the router as normal and then try the connection again withthe same programs... If all fails may I suggest you contact Netgear go here

I should note that it's not a wireless network, as I had to help him install an ethernet card in his PC as it did not have one before.  I do not have such a network in here right now anyway.  Plus I don't have enough money to purchase a new router right now anyway. :(

585614264[/snapback]

OK this is different because Wi-Fi will reboot if the signal is lost... try using the router without the Wi-Fi on and use the router itself (if you have this option) Also make sure nobody is high jacking your connection I would imagine you have WEP turned on using 128 or 256 encryption...

my netgear router has been running solidly for weeks now, not a single reset. i got a dlink 624 before the netgear one, that one however reset its self about every 10 mins, so it went back. also the range on this netgear wireless router is increadible, it reaches outside the house, the dlink one barly got outside the room... but i think the dlink was faulty

my netgear router has been running solidly for weeks now, not a single reset. i got a dlink 624 before the netgear one, that one however reset its self about every 10 mins, so it went back. also the range on this netgear wireless router is increadible, it reaches outside the house, the dlink one barly got outside the room... but i think the dlink was faulty

585614278[/snapback]

What modell do you have?

OK this is different because Wi-Fi will reboot if the signal is lost... try using the router without the Wi-Fi on and use the router itself (if you have this option) Also make sure nobody is high jacking your connection I would imagine you have WEP turned on using 128 or 256 encryption...

585614275[/snapback]

I don't see how seeing as neither of us have Wi-Fi installed on our PC's and neither of us haver wireless ethernet cards either. I highly doubt it's a wireless router either...

I highly doubt it's a wireless router either...

You doubt it's wireless? OMG! That's funny. It's either wireless or it's not (by the way it's not). There's no doubt about it.

You doubt it's wireless?  OMG!  That's funny.  It's either wireless or it's not (by the way it's not).  There's no doubt about it.

585615720[/snapback]

Yeah I know. Thanks.

BTW the router is a lot more stable now. It appears the software that it was running off of was outdated, so I updated it via the Netgear website and it is a LOT better now. :yes:

Yeah firmware updates usually seem to be the best 'fix' for lockups.

I have only had good experience with netgear. I've had lockups out of several Linksys devices and a couple Dlink.

Funny thing is I've had this router for at least a year to a year and a half, and never bothered to check that since I only used it one other time, which is when I actually had two computers of my own. Now that my friend is here and needs the internet; I had to hook it up again (not to mention cleaning off 120 viruses and 6200 (censored) spyware items off of his PC :angry: )...