Hockey Testing Out New Ice Colours?

Icy hot? Light shade of blue impressive

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- If the ice is colored a soft shade of blue, what does that make hockey's blue lines? Orange of course.

Don't adjust your TV sets -- the Buffalo Sabres are using Rochester, their AHL farm club, to try out a new colored ice surface that could become the standard once the NHL resumes playing.

The first test comes Sunday, when Rochester plays Cleveland at Buffalo.

"It's an experiment, let's leave it at that," Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn said Tuesday while watching Rochester practice.

Quinn said the test came after NHL officials discussed whether changing the ice color from white would enhance how the game is viewed by fans in arenas and on television.

The Sabres offered to try it and, after some experimentation, settled on painting the sheet in what they call "electric powder blue." To offset the new colored surface, arena officials decided to make the blue lines fluorescent orange, which is also the color used for the faceoff circles.

The center line, normally red, is now dark blue.

Click Here for Full Story

I agree, it would make more sense if they were going to try it during an actual NHL game. That fact aside, does anyone have any pics...I didn't see any in the article though I have been up for waaay too long.

It is a worse idea that Fox's electric blue ringed puck and computerized puck trails.

585625401[/snapback]

dude nothing was worse than that...come one.

i don't care if the ice is pink if they are playing.

See what americans do to a perfectly fine game? they try to put something on it to say "oh look we contributed to hockey" in the long run.

alright so thats probably a long shot, but MY POINT STANDS DAMNIT! ;)

Am I the only one that likes this? I would prefer a different color than blue (simply because I want the NHL (and ESPN, FOX etc) to bring back the glowing blue puck. Perhaps a nice red ice surface would be better (it would also mask all the blood). Secondly, to enhance the viewing experience, I would bring back the stupid robots that do a little skit after every goal (thank you FOX). Lastly, I would like pretty girls in bikinis coming out with placards telling the fans who scored, who got a penalty, at the beginnig of every period and during the intermissions. I think that would really grab people's attention!

Am I the only one that likes this? I would prefer a different color than blue (simply because I want the NHL (and ESPN, FOX etc) to bring back the glowing blue puck. Perhaps a nice red ice surface would be better (it would also mask all the blood). Secondly, to enhance the viewing experience, I would bring back the stupid robots that do a little skit after every goal (thank you FOX). Lastly, I would like pretty girls in bikinis coming out with placards telling the fans who scored, who got a penalty, at the beginnig of every period and during the intermissions. I think that would really grab people's attention!

585627870[/snapback]

Well, I am no hockey fan at all, and maybe that is why I think it looks good also.

Maybe to spice things up they should make a clear puck

...and I like the new ice.

585632733[/snapback]

They need to bring back the glow puck. That is what got people watching.

They should go deep, dark, solid black. That'd be sweet. ;)

585630483[/snapback]

^and a white puck and disco lights!

585632708[/snapback]

:rofl:

I'd definitely start watching hockey more...