HDTV for XBOX Next

Hello all! I am in the market for an HDTV for use for mainly games. I have a budget of about $500-$600 and would like something with 720p if possible. My size range is probably 25" - 35" (about 30" being the best). Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. :)

You're really not going to find a 30" for that price, but you should be able to find the TX-P2670WH for around that price range if you look around. Beautiful set.

moved to home theater forum

That looks like a great set bangbang! I may have just found what I was looking for. :yes: Seeing as I will be using this as a bedroom TV, 26" seems like is will be about right! I found a site selling it for $400 (+$100 s/h) too. I just wish I could see this in person. Have you seen it bangbang? Is the picture quality really nice? Anyone else have any other suggestions or experince with this set?

Edit - 3 years and I finally hit 300 posts. :woot:

I went to Circuit City today and picked up a TXP3064W for $609.97 (open box)! It will be delivered on Monday. It looked great in the store and is in great condition. I got a 3 year on-site warrenty and if they get 3 calls for repairs they will replace it with a new one! :woot: Anyway, thanks bangbang for your recommendation. I'm sure it will be a great set for next-gen gaming! :yes:

Glad I could help. I believe the set also upconverts SD stuff so that it will look a bit better. Samsung definitely did a good job with it.

just a question, how much they charge for the guarantee? I know it costs more than BB and for one less year but I'm curious about the cost.

Hey BangBang, I couldn't help but notice you work for BBY and live in NY.  Do you happen to know DA Hollingworth aka Kat?

585673196[/snapback]

I'm going to say no lol. Unless she works in the Brooklyn store, I don't know her at all.

Well, I went out of town and the set was not delivered so I will be getting it this coming Monday. I have a few questions for you Bangbang or anyone else who knows.

1) This set doesn't have a built-in HDTV tuner. What does this mean for me if I decide to get HDTV cable in the future? Will the cable box have an built-in tuner?

2) This set, like many others in this size and price range will not do 720p (it won't even up-convert it). How much of a problem is this? I hear that a lot of HDTV broadcasts are 720p instead of 1080i so where does this leave me?

3) Of course no one really knows for sure, but will Xbox Next games come in at 1080i as standard or just 720p?

Thanks.

1) Your cable box will have HD turner.

2) The cable box will upconvert it to 1080i or down to 480 whatever the TV can display is what the box will convert it to.. that's what they do.

3) They'll prolly be 480P like they are now with a few games in 1080p

(720p for sports games for smooth motion; 1080i for more detailed games)

Considering that microsoft has mandated that developers make their games in atleast 1280x720p, I think that that is the resolution almost all of them will come in. Does anyone know if it requires more processing power to run in 1080i or 720p? Whichever takes less is probably what most games will show up in, and I am betting that 720p might take less memory or power or whatever. Anyways, your tv will just convert a 720p signal to 1080i, so their will be a slight loss in quality in those games. But considering the size of the tv and the small amount of quality lost, I doubt you will notice.

That's a relief about the cable box.  I'm just waiting for Monday now.  I just wish it did 720p. :(

585676559[/snapback]

Any 720p input the box receives will be converted to 1080i and it will look fine. Don't worry about 720p, since the manufacturers know those sets are out of a LOT of peoples price ranges and HD-DVD players, X-boxes, cable boxes will be able to play just fine on all the "budget" HDTV's without 720p for years to come.

Considering that microsoft has mandated that developers make their games in atleast 1280x720p, I think that that is the resolution almost all of them will come in.  Does anyone know if it requires more processing power to run in 1080i or 720p?  Whichever takes less is probably what most games will show up in, and I am betting that 720p might take less memory or power or whatever.  Anyways, your tv will just convert a 720p signal to 1080i, so their will be a slight loss in quality in those games. But considering the size of the tv and the small amount of quality lost, I doubt you will notice.

585677646[/snapback]

Most game devs will want 720p simply because you can run a lot of fast motion with the least amount of artifacts. If you watch 1080i on something like the Olympics or a surf competition, you will notice a lot of pixelation because 1080i simply can't handle fast motion scenes without some breakup. RPG's will be in 1080i for example and something like Madden 2006, fighting games, etc will be in 720p.

There's going to be a migration to 1080p, which will look beautiful and is exactly what they are filming Star Wars Ep 3 in at 24fps. How that will play with manufacturers and consumers, I have no idea, but the migration to that format will be expensive and slow.

As for processing power, I'm guessing 1080i takes less since its more common in HDTV's but I'm not completely sure. I'll post when I find out.