Advice on building Muscle using supplements

I workout, Ive tried many different types of proteins... Many different blends of several proteins together.... Creatine.... Glutamine... tried them all together

so neowin, what are your fav products you use to get big? or would advise others to try to increase strength and build muscle......

currently, im testing soy protein, and whey protein, soon hopefully ion exchange type of blend... whats your fav protein shakes to take whether they are already made or scooped out....

this is not limited to protein, comment on anything legal, there will be no illegal advice

Edited by NYCBetaSte

getting big isn't the healthest thing to achieve.

be very careful with what supplements you take. Pay close attention to what real science has been done to promote the use of said products. Many things are on the market with insufficient research and could be harmful long term

Train for strength and endurance is my approach. I do large reps (ex 50-75), or do all 3 sets without rest.

I actually find that weight training can be more harmful than it is worth. I prefer to do yoga and pilates on top of my climbing, running, and cycling training. I am only doing weights again as part of rehab from a broken scaffoid. I was lucky that I heal fast and was only in a cast for 4 weeks (usual is 8 to 12) but still I suffered significant muscular atrophy in the forarm and tightness/strength issues through the shoulder and back.

As for protien supps: I use vega, hemp protien, hemp nut, and a soy/pea/rice formula.

I don't have the slightest clue what to do to 'get big', but i do have a question. Why would you want to?

Like, i guess i can understand it if there's some good reason you have to be buff (like if you're a construction worker or something), but other than that, is it really worth all the effort just to be able to move your dresser by yourself? :/

I don't have the slightest clue what to do to 'get big', but i do have a question. Why would you want to?

effort just to be able to move your dresser by yourself? :/

585645608[/snapback]

that made me smile, anyways why would someone workout, hummm lets think of the advantages working out has given us.... too many to list.... i was always on sports the stronger and bigger you are the better you are.... except for a few sports that is always truth... moving my room around esp others is always fun to do, not only is it a great way to pickup hot girls who are weak and need your help (not being sexiest)... ummm i have found over the years of doing pushups and pullups growing up that i was always alittle stronger then my peers and boy has it paid off in sports and just general appearence....

working out and building muscle is a great feeling, u go to the gym lift heavy weights and hope to see a difference from week to week or month to month... when that point comes where u double your bench, curl an amount u started your benching with or something of the sort its like playing god and let me tell you the pumps and the feelings and joys of emotions you get from succeding from doing something you care so much about is amazing... i wish more people werent so lazy, and well lazy....

i started this thread because i dont see many like it here, or on any computer question based website so i figured it best to start here and ask...

if anyone lives in NYC, and wants to workout sometime, let me know, i dont only lift huge weights but i also bike, run, etc.... ultimate frisbee anyone? anyways i hope that answers why i wanna cont with my weight training, always getting stronger and bigger feeling better about yourself....

...i commented earlier about helping me as i grew up, i used to get picked on and that stopped once i started hitting some weights and getting bigger those punks thought twice and after a few fights real ones tooo i was no more the kid picked on but the kid who was "RESPECTED" and questioned about whether to fight with or dare think it..... not to mention the comfort a girlfriend or boyfriend feels that their partner is strong healthy and proud walking down the street..................the end

Weightlifting is amazing. Been doing it since September. I have yet to spend any money specifically for it though, so I've never bought supplements or anything.

moved here

what kind of workouts do you do?make sure you are getting rest.your muscles need recovery after a hard workout because the muscle fibers get damaged.for example,dont max out on your curl or bench press two days in row.split your days up. chest/tricep on monday.bicep/shoulders on tuesday. legs on wednesday.like that.

best way is to eat lots of high quality proteins all the time..have an extra meal or so a day of fish or chicken or something. Also you could try high quality WHEY-PROTEINS which you can mix in a drink. Take a whole lot just before you work out and really use high resitance, low repitition weights. Totaly tear your muscles very quickly then rest up a few days. Muscles will appear like magic

moved here

what kind of workouts do you do?make sure you are getting rest.your muscles need recovery after a hard workout because the muscle fibers get damaged.for example,dont max out on your curl or bench press two days in row.split your days up. chest/tricep on monday.bicep/shoulders on tuesday. legs on wednesday.like that.

585645679[/snapback]

no doubt, the types of workouts i do are proper form and controlled reps except for the few reps that are more powerlifted based

i recommend people to go to barnes and noble and read workout mags to get some ideas as to how to workout, training methods, more importantly diets and supplements.... i dont really need any advice, but would rather offer and help those who do...

rest is my biggest downfall, i worked out so much during high school and i didnt really gain weight i graduated at 18 weight 175, first year in college started up the sport and passion of CREW< btw that and freshman 15 i went up to 195 fast and then dropped and settled to around 180-188 for the remainder of my CREW experience

then i hurt my back from CREW< moved back to just weight lifting which helped me heal and said no more sports for me just weights weights weights as i pushed up to 190, then 200 and now after about 1.4 years of serious weights im up to 210 holding steady prob my goal is 220, so i got about 15lbs of muscle to gain ......

in terms of workouts, im following arnolds routine right now, supersets are great, doing chest/back (today), then bi and tri tomm or next day followed by shoulders and legs my last day or two of the training split.... i love throwing in some power lifting as of right now i felt i hit a wall in bench strength doing like 185x10 was easy last year, i lost that power and now i can sometimes get it for 10, my max last year was 225 5 i think and 275x2 spotted, now.....

today and last chest day i am doing 225, 235,245 for 10 sets of 3 reps, trying to teach my muscles into the powerlifting method to shock them and move past my benchpress wall i felt i hit.... i love doing it its a great feeling i cannot wait to max out sometime soon my goal is 315 of course once controlled and loving it

just started 4 months ago. i was in terrible shape. no muscle and skinny as a twig. ever since i have started i progressively feel better and i am starting to finally see visible result. but my goals are not to loose weight and build muscle, but to gain weight too. so i take meso tech meal replacement as well as eating for times a day. trying to keep reasonable amount of protein while loading up on carbs and fat too ;)

anyway i wanted to get someones opinion on creatine, should i do it now, or wait till i have being working out much longer then 4 months ?

i mean i am better now but is it maybe better to wait tilll i get stronger by just switching routines and techiques every couple of weeks to keep my muscles from getting used to it?

or willl it help me now to get to the cofortable strength quicker?

btw, i bench press 140 pounds. i am well over 6 feet tall and i only weigh 160 pounds

best way is to eat lots of high quality proteins all the time..have an extra meal or so a day of fish or chicken or something. Also you could try high quality WHEY-PROTEINS which you can mix in a drink. Take a whole lot just before you work out and really use high resitance, low repitition weights. Totaly tear your muscles very quickly then rest up a few days. Muscles will appear like magic

585645694[/snapback]

your advice is great for those who are beginners, those who are more experience or bodies are used to a beating your advice is alittle weak but thats ok.... dont take it personal if i call it that..... your very right anyone hoping to get stronger should eat 4-6 meals a day if possible and supplement a good protein shake combo anywhere from 1-3 times a day to hit that goal of protein per lb of bodyweight

muscles do not appear like magic haha i really wish they did, otherwise we would all be ronnie colemans after 2-3 years of working out..... thats why its taking him anywhere from 5-15 years to get where he is ---- for those who dont know one of the biggest guys on this planet thats who..... good advice and hope more to come

I'm going to **** you off if you're a night owl, but... you build muscle better, and you heal quicker if you are asleep from 10PM-2AM.

585645737[/snapback]

dude u so lost me, try again..... ur also saying science has proven that if u sleep from 10pm to 2am u magically heal better? interesting, i aint saying ur wrong but if thats your point interesting

as to panacea

goodjob dude, take your time, lifting weights is hard and i know u love it everytime u hit the gym, sure you could start taking creatine, creatine is a natural thing in your body u get about 1-2 grams of it a day based on diet and whatnot.... supplement by adding another 5-10grams a day either by taking pure creatine in powder/pill form or by using a product like cellmass, celltech, ummm and all the other thousands of creatine loading products they sell, i advice u to do your research first.... think second and third and act fourth based on 1,2,3..... goodluck

ps- creatine will get u stronger, helped me put on 10lbs fast, some of it was water weight but it still mademe stronger..... it will increase your abliity to do short bursts of energy intensive things, aka working out .....

i did a lot of research on creatine already.

thinking of trying this one: www.kre-alkalyn.net

makes sence and i have heard good things about it. that would be the only type i would try. and you only need 2 grams since it not broken down to waste product as soon as you mix it.

and some extra water weight might be nice too as soon as the increased strength willl lead to permanent gains too.

one thing is - i might have to give up on my coffee habit, looks like the coffein effects on water in your body are opposite to creatine.

yes i drink and love coffee, when ur taking creatine supplements and NO based supplements aka the pump ones, coffee and any amount of caffine is not a good thing, but id say limit all soda to zero and contrinue with your coffee binge just try and space out times when ur taking creatine and coffee and drink 2x more water to makeup for it

about kre-alkalyn thats something in every mag that i would never attempt to use, but i cannot say anything bad about it since i dont know anything about it.... only 2grams of it doesnt sound too good either.... but reviews are always a good thing, esp real reviews not ones on their site or in magazines, u really think jay cutler uses 4-6 servins of celltech on his off season to get himself bigger its such BS all about money soo watch what u read and always keep an open mind

i recommend, celltech, cellmass, noxplode, anavol, nitrovol, trac are all things u should consider

well a new day a new morning, start my day off with a 50g protein shake and some oatmeal with honey, followed with coffee and then some eggs

thanks i'd look into those. i noticed some of them are not even creatine?

there are a few of them here. tell me which one you recommend best? i'll then look into this particular product carefully :)

btw, can you point me to a good workout schedule building site? I was just using friends advice up to now as well as mens health mag.

I've heard that soy protein increases your estrogen levels...possible side effects: you admire and love your body more, you admire and love other men's bodies even more.

well, i am sure there is a heated argument going on, which I did not bother reading. however, I did start a thread similar to this one a few months back. I am a body builder myself and I work out 6 days a week, I have tried a few products in the market and finally resorted to whey protein (consuming before and after workouts).

My suggestion is to keep a stable workout session going and have a focused workout plan and diet. Dont expect quick results and make sure you consult on a pro, on a regular basis. if u wanna know more, PM me and I can be of some help as I have been doin amateur bodybuilding for four years now.

thanks i'd look into those. i noticed some of them are not even creatine? 

there are a few of them here. tell me which one you recommend best? i'll then look into this particular product carefully :)

btw, can you point me to a good workout schedule building site? I was just using friends advice up to now as well as mens health mag.

585648543[/snapback]

sure, there is no best of anything, thats why i started this thread to get and give advice, like i mentioned ive tried celltech and i found it to help me gain strength some size and heal faster.... some say celltech is bad bec it does hvae a ton of sugar and some other stuff thats overdone compared to something like cellmass....

some sites im surfing around right now are

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/index.html

http://www.1fast400.com/?manufacturers_id=69

great sites find forums, some people list their complete workouts as a journal its great and real inspiring

today is bi and tri for me.... im soo hurting from my chest back routine yesturday i love it

this was yesturdays workout as im going for a shock method to gain some quick size and strength, i like to superset anything that can be done properly together to get a stronger better workout

chest back

flat bench bar - warmup, 225x3,3 235x3,3 245x3,3,3,3 255x3 assisted last one

bentovarow barbell 135x10, 185x10,10,10 225x8,

inc dumb 85x5,5, 90x5,5, 100x4

pullups 5,5 added 25lbs did 4,3,5

dips 10,,10 added 25lbs 10,6

front flye machine 200x3 sets pryimad up to 200 consider warmup

row machine upstairs random weights feeling the squeeze getting the pump

today is bi and tri my workout will look something like this

barbell curl

w closegripbench

benchcurl dumbs

w ovahead tri xts

cable rope down

w cable bar curl bi

w cablerope away from head

finsih with

curlmachine upstairs

w tri down machine

those reading who are new to the sport of bodybuilding should not follow my routines but should use parts of it to start bringing my methods into their training splits... im following a combo of arnold idealogy and powerlifting.... it will make u barf if u dont watch yourself and arent ready

Edited by NYCBetaSte

hmm, i might try those chest/back and biceps/triceps supersets next week, they sound good.

as for supplements - after reading about a few of those i have desided to try pump tech by muscletech

i live in canada and some of the supplements you mension have lower availabily, muscletech products however are widely available and can be found at very reasonable prices. i have used some of their products before and liked the quality.

you ever used it?

yes actually i used pump tech, but i didnt use it properly, u have to take them based on your weight anywhere up to like 16 a day for someone over 200 i think, so thats 2 sets of 8 i think or something like that.... i still have a few pills left over.... pump tech alone isnt gonna get u huge or build much bulk but it will help u get stronger and more importantly feel the pump and heal faster

before testing any new state of the art supplements u must make sure ur protein supply and meals are good, then add L-glutamine 5g servings to all your protein shakes or meals so that ur getting btw 10-20 extra from supplements as its the best amino acid or most importnat building block to muscle from what ive been told.... im doing what i just mentioned a spoonful of glutamine with most of my protein shakes and with oatmeal....

if your body is getting the right amout of protein, rest to heal, then supplements like creatine and NO, will help a lot esp if ur hitting the weights properly.... gluck

I have used creatine and protein shakes to some pretty good success without needing to get too fancy. I read to ingest about 1 gram of protein for every pound of weight you want to maintain. For me that was almost 190 grams a day, the shakes would give me about 20-30 grams each (tried to drink at elast three a day). Supplement that with a lot of meat, fruits and veggies. Rember, no matter what the ladies tell you today, carbs ARE your friends just ry to eat the bulk of them prior to lunch, like a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast or mid-morning snack. Of caourse it will all be for naught if you aren't hitting the weights at LEAST three times a week.

Here is a place I get my stuff from, very cheap compared to GNC.

DPS Nutrition