never see another ad

Modifying the hosts file is a good way to block ads. It is effective across your entire system, no matter what client is being used.

I use it to block only those sites that are incredibly slow (where your browser is noticibly waiting for a host to respond), or for those that have especially annoying blinking/flashing ads or even those with sound. :no:

I don't bother with the unobtrusive ads.

As for the "XP myths" on the hosts file, the less said, the better. :rolleyes:

Excessively sized hosts files can cause DNS related slowdowns due to DNS caching. Entries in Hosts Files can block good sites and people incorrectly think the site is down. Needless to say they are worthless. Ad blocking software is built into browsers and they are not needed to stop spyware.

• A PC does not talk to the DNS server when using an entry in the hosts file. Where, exactly, is the slowdown?
  • Entries in the hosts file will not block good sites, unless you put it there. I fail to see how this is an issue (it is like any other human error, like messing up your own partiton table).
  • And finally, ad blocking in your browser must be set up for each browser that you use (and many here use more than just one). Plus, it is totally useless on emails that you may happen to receive, as they won't have the same configuration of 'blocked' sites.

A system-wide ad blocking solution is much better than several application-specific ones.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...jj_ipa_vitx.asp

Even with 100 entries in the cache, you will still be faster than any other solution. The OS is designed to resolve names quickly at the system level this way. A user-level "blocking" app (or several, remember, for your different client apps!) will be slower then using the built-in cache. A chache is used to speed up data lookups, not slow them down.

As far as hosts file manipulation, that only happens if you run Windows with administrator priveleges. And if you do, then it is a user security error, not a hosts file error. The hosts file is not writeable by an unpriveleged user. That user's security habits must be changed.

I use it enough (at work), and have helped other Windows users with their issues.

However, that does not change how the hosts file works, or the priveleges required for spyware and viruses to manipulate it.

As far as hosts file manipulation, that only happens if you run Windows with administrator privileges.  And if you do, then it is a user security error, not a hosts file error.  The hosts file is not writable by an unprivileged user.  That user's security habits must be changed.

585885594[/snapback]

First I use SOME host file blocking. But you don't have to run in unprivileged user to lock the host file. Do you? I'm asking here.. to learn not trying to be funny.

PS: my spell correction corrected some of the quote not me. Sry

First I use SOME host file blocking. But you don't have to run in unprivileged user to lock the host file. Do you? I'm asking here.. to learn not trying to be funny.

PS: my spell correction corrected some of the quote not me. Sry

585886234[/snapback]

I am not sure if you can lock the hosts file as admin. Because, running as admin, you are also allowed to write/modify that file (so any 'lock' would not stop yourself - or malware running with your admin permissions).

I am certain that browsing an unpriveleged user, it is impossible to have the hosts file edited on you (as any malware would run with your permissions - barring an unpatched security exploit).

In the end, you may prefer a mix of methods. As indicated, the hosts file is powerful and system-wide. If you have a few additional unwanted ads, you can use your browser's block on top of it.

Hmm. thanks. But sometimes Neowin has ad banner on its pages... So if you don't want to see any ads, leave Neowin and better, close your eyes. ;)

So I hate the title of the thread! What? "*** never see another ad, EVER"? The title is actually another form of an ad!

GM.zip

You can't lock the Host file, all so called "locking" attempts meerly write protect it. As for permissions, no Windows User runs in anything but an Administrator account. So that sort of advice is like saying not to use your computer and nothing will happen.

I am not sure if you can lock the hosts file as admin.  Because, running as admin, you are also allowed to write/modify that file (so any 'lock' would not stop yourself - or malware running with your admin permissions).

I am certain that browsing an unpriveleged user, it is impossible to have the hosts file edited on you (as any malware would run with your permissions - barring an unpatched security exploit).

In the end, you may prefer a mix of methods.  As indicated, the hosts file is powerful and system-wide.  If you have a few additional unwanted ads, you can use your browser's block on top of it.

585887309[/snapback]

Ok thanks for the info, I just wondered. And I do use a mix of methods like you said.

• 1 month later...

The problem is all the serious Malware infections occur due to security exploits and will just rewrite the Host file at will. It is completely useless and unnecessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Mastertech!! :blink: I've been wondering where you've been hiding, your disapearence from the Opera forums were rather sudden.

Why are you insisting on talking about host files not being effective ad blockers, I thought that an 'expert' such as you would know better.

Okay, I agree that when using host files one can unintentionally block good sites, but fyi there are some really good resources out there for ad servers to add into your host files.

The problem is all the serious Malware infections occur due to security exploits and will just rewrite the Host file at will. It is completely useless and unnecessary.

Eeeem no not for blocking ads, and malware can rewrite the host files regardless if I have added anything to it or NOT. And if I suddenly would have ads from adserver.yahoo.com I would know that something is wrong. So if I add ad-servers to my host files will do exactly nothing to or from on how secure my system is.

When it comes to adding ad servers to your host files without risking to block access to good sites there is a simple rule for those who are nervous about it. Only ad entries with ad., ads., adserv., adserver., ad.server., banner., etc in them.

Not even you can think that only using entries like that would block you from good sites.

BTW. The problem is Serious Malware infections occur due to security exploits and can reformat your hard drive. Hard drives is completely useless and unnecessary. :rolleyes:

Edited by ThePast

Why are you insisting on talking about host files not being effective ad blockers, I thought that an 'expert' such as you would know better.

:rolleyes: Hosts files are a useless solution to anything. Obviously they can block ads but at what costs? Having to manually download and update the file as it grows into mamoth proportions, all while leaving the potential to block good sites (which is quite common) There are much better ad blocking solutions but that is not even the point. Hosts files are a useless poor mans solution to anything. Blocking malware is elementary all without ever using a Hosts file.

When it comes to adding ad servers to your host files without risking to block access to good sites there is a simple rule for those who are nervous about it. Only ad entries with ad., ads., adserv., adserver., ad.server., banner., etc in them.

Not even you can think that only using entries like that would block you from good sites.

People download premade hosts files! This is the whole point. Not to mention the huge waste of time updating a hosts file entails. Do you actually waste hours of your life keeping some useless file updated? :no:

Serious malware infection occurs due to SECURITY EXPLOITS. That once patched or removed can't be exploited again. :rolleyes: