(UK) Recommend a aDSL provider...

Ok, i am moving home, this weekend - Saturday. I've been with Pipex since 2002 (on 512/256). I called them to today, to explain the fact that i'm moving home, and they tell me, all I can do is cancel my current agreement with them, and take out a new account. To me this is quite annoying, but I kind of understand. The problem I have, is that if I am to re-register, I can't do it online, because my telephone number (which BT are swapping to our new line on Sat) will be the same. So as far as Pipex are concerned, that number is 'taken'. The site then prompts me to upgrade...

It then got me thinking, maybe I should look for an alternative ISP.

What i'm looking for -

1Mbit or maybe 2Mbit

Uncapped

Free connection (hardware would be nice, but not a necessity).

- I would like > 256Kbit upstream, but it seems unlikely. :(

I need to place an order in the next day, one way or another, or i won't have a connection, to be able place such an order. :blink: *confusing I know* :rolleyes:

So... Any recommendations? I could stay with Pipex, and I might, but it can't hurt to scope what's out there.

Note: i don't think I am legible for UKonline 8Mbit, or Bulldog's 4Mb DSL plans! :(

I've changed from Tiscali 512k (19.99) to Zen 1Mb (34.99)

I know it's expensive but boy is it worth it.

-1Mb downstream (bandwidth test gives average of 980kbs)

-256k upstream (bandwidth test gives average of 244kbs)

-truely UNCAPPED

-outstanding tech support

-no contention on their service

-8 static ip addresses

-1 month contract

-migration supported (free)

I can connect to CS source in peak times and have a latency below 30 its insane.

Check out their forums at http://www.zensupport.co.uk

www.zenadsl.com

If pippex still shows your number as active adsl, then all other companies will also. The data comes direct from BT wholesale. Aslong as your number shows as active on bt.com/broadband you can't reregister.

I use pipex also and wouldn't swap them if you paid me

Another vote for Freedom2surf here (Y)

50GB monthly cap but unmetered from 1AM-6AM so you can schedule big downloads :)

Also, free migration at the moment, and its pay per month, no contracts, so if you dont like it you can leave.

Hmm, well I guess i'll have to call Pipex then. The way it stands, I can't see me being able to Re-Reg with a new provider until i have ran my 30 day cancellation period. - 30 days for which, i'll be at a new address. :rolleyes: hmmm... Cheers for the feedback though guys.

I agree with Schnitzel. Zen all the way. I've been with them on 512kb since June 2003 and I'll be moving my account with me when I move house (which they allow).

There's been times when I've maxed out my connection for days at a time and I get constant top rates with no fear of a limit.

Well worth the extra. :yes:

I've changed from Tiscali 512k (19.99) to Zen 1Mb (34.99)

I know it's expensive but boy is it worth it.

-1Mb downstream (bandwidth test gives average of 980kbs)

-256k upstream (bandwidth test gives average of 244kbs)

-truely UNCAPPED

-outstanding tech support

-no contention on their service

-8 static ip addresses

-1 month contract

-migration supported (free)

I can connect to CS source in peak times and have a latency below 30 its insane.

Check out their forums at http://www.zensupport.co.uk

www.zenadsl.com

585741491[/snapback]

that actually seems insanely expensive. i suppose it's the static ip addresses that bump up the price (and probably tech support).

1MB on pipex is 23.44 uncapped. tech support isn't too bad.

that actually seems insanely expensive. i suppose it's the static ip addresses that bump up the price (and probably tech support).

1MB on pipex is 23.44 uncapped. tech support isn't too bad.

585745268[/snapback]

Its not insanely expensive, considering the quality of the connection.

from the zensupport forum (regarding speed upgrades)..

In the form of support, quality of service, the fact that Zen is uncapped, the fact that Zen uses IPStream technology from BT, rather than the cheaper datastream (IPSTREAM is more expensive but much more reliable; you can find some details on this forum and doing a Google search) etc

factor in the 1Gb of webspace every account gets and IMO its great value.

I used Zen for a while, and thoroughly recommend them if you can afford it. Impeccable service at all times and they wrote off an extra months usage when they messed up my billing. The only reason I left is my housemates complained at the cost. Now we're on cable :( *grumbles*

does it have to be DSL

What about cable?

I got NTL 3mb and it rocks.

not had a problem yet with NTL :cool:

We don't have Cable in the local area, and DSL is limited at my current address to 2mb.

I called Pipex once more today, and explained the situation. The lady told me there isn't anything than can do, until the connection is 'disconnected' in around 30 days. She did suggest I email Pipex to try and push them into speeding up the disconnection period but who knows.

So, I asked my dad to call BT once more, and instead, we're getting a new telephone number activated at the new house tomorrow. So in theory, i cant just signup with a broadband ISP tomorrow, using my new telephone number. :)

I think i'll need to use a dialup connection to do this though, yet I don't have any dialup discs, or anything really. Can anyone recommend me a provider I might use to do this? This would be the only time I want to do it, so I just need a 1p a minute type connection.

Cheers for your feedback guys. This Zen ISP sounds interesting, hmm...

Oh, one more thing. Pipex Solo isn't static IP addressing, but I recall someone quoting what they use as being 'sticky IP addresses'. By that, it isn't guaranteed you'll have the same IP always, yet it's been rare I haven't had the same IP address - in 3 years. So in effect, to me it basically has been as good as static IP addressing, minus the extra cost! - Just some food for thought.

Trying Bulldog broadband for 4meg broadband at ?19.99 per month. Offer ends 30 April. That s as fast as you can get in the UK home for the price! Unfortunately you have to get a bulldog phoneline but still if you are changing houses.

Edited by JimBobStuart

I've decided to re-signup with Pipex. I've had really good service with them, and I do from to time constitute a fair bandwidth usage - with no quarms, so maybe it'd be stupid to try anything else.

After changing telephone numbers, it seems i was able to signup ok. :) The line is activated sometime tomorrow, i assume Pipex won't begin the process in the next 12-18hrs of a saturday, and find the BT line isn't yet active. Damn then i'd be ****ed! :laugh:

Thanks for your help. It seems this will probably be my last post on NeoBabe, i mean Neowin, for a while. :(

Later people. :)

Have you looked at UKOnline?

8Meg Down 400K Up for ?30/m.

There is a bandwidth cap, but I doubt you'll ever reach it.

Chillbo

585745441[/snapback]

can any one get this??? Theres a listed exchange on my street! and it cannot get it!