US Baseball team consider signing Cricket Player

Red Sox eye cricket star?

Source: Red Sox flag interest in Gilchrist

I don't know if this is serious or not but I can't believe it. First time I've heard such a thing. It would be interesting but unlikely :rolleyes:

World Series champions the Boston Red Sox have expressed interest in the possibility of Australian wicket-keeper Adam Gilchrist playing major league baseball when he retires from cricket according to the AUSTRALIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION.

Red Sox talent scout and Australian Olympic baseball coach Jon Deeble says he is prepared to evaluate Gilchrist's potential in the sport at some stage in the future if he is interested.

Deeble said he would never underestimate what Gilchrist could achieve in baseball as he was such a great athlete.

Gilchrist called the offer a "great compliment", but said his focus remained on cricket and the Ashes tour of England.

Baseball hitters can play into their early forties, giving 33-year-old Gilchrist plenty of time to make a decision.

Hes one hell of a wicket keeper cud do well standing behind the batter in baseball (i dont know what there called as i dont follow baseball much as you can tell lol :D )

Hes one hell of a wicket keeper cud do well standing behind the batter in baseball (i dont know what there called as i dont follow baseball much as you can tell lol :D )

585742389[/snapback]

Psst..."Catcher" =)

hmmmm...I'd kinda like to see this guy hit a 100mph fastball or a sick curveball.

585743171[/snapback]

It would be a sight to see, they should give him a trial run

I have to agree with BOOG. The two sports just dont compare. I dont think that Barry Bonds would do very well in cricket either.

Now, raw talent is raw talent. So, if this guy started playing baseball at age 9, then maybe he'd be an all-star calliber player. But, so much at the major league level is decided in half a second. I just dont see him doing well at all.

Lot easier to hit a ball with a big flat stick than a round bat.

585742380[/snapback]

That doesn't matter, you don't "pitch" the cricket ball like you do a baseball, so you can't even make a fair comparison.

But I think he would do great to be honest.

hear about this in the morning. apparently they like him because of his bat speed. they also said michael jordan would of made a decent baseballer if his bat speed was a bit quicker or sum bs like that

A pro athelete vs you ?  I don't think so.

585752198[/snapback]

I didn't say I would play cricket. I cricket and baseball are so incredibly different that it would be near impossible to be successful at both. I am saying he waould fail so badly at baseball that they might as well waste their time trying me out, too.

Well it's true. Gilchrist sees the ball ridiculously well. Also for those ignorant of cricket *looks at BOOGSoftball* here is a link to how it is played and so forth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

585752373[/snapback]

Ahh yeas. I forgot. You know all about me to call me ignorant. That's right. YOu know so well, that I am ignorant about cricket.

That's right. you know.

Please go dump your baseless assumptions elsewhere.

Give him a break will ya, he has a team mate in his Australian cricket team who can bowl (or in yank terms... "pitch") at 160km/h (100mph) +, not only is it fast, it swings (curves) aswell. I can tell most, if not all of you don't follow the Red Sox

Ok firstly, Andrew Symonds is my favourite player. Apart from being hit for that massive six, he can some incredibly huge ones himself. And Shahid Afridi holds (or held, I forget if it was broken) the world record for the quickest century in a one day match, inlcuding many sixes. How did you find that clip OrangeSoul?

And secondly, to BOOGSoftball, I wasn't trying to start a fight but there is no reason to be so arrogant. I believe the Adam Gilchrist, who has proven himself against the best in the world in a game that has easily over one billion followers (and that's just India alone, there are nine other test playing nations) would probably be a lot better at professional baseball than you. Firstly, he is already a professional athlete. This means that he is up to a level of fitness not many of us can enjoy, because he is paid to do it. That is his job. Secondly, many of the skills between the two games are shared. They both share batting, albeit in different styles, but Adam Gilchrist's style has often been compared to a baseballers swing for his sheer power and speed in doing so. They share a fast paced delivery method. Admittedly there are only a few bowlers in the world who can hit or top 100mph consistently, but the same amount of reaction time is required. In the field he is obviously used to using gloves behind the wickets and has proven himself to be a very very fast runner. Or he could be at catcher, a position very similar to the wicketkeeper in cricket. Also, cricketers in the past have been successful baseball players includinf former Australian Test captain Ian Chappell.

Perhaps that should clear up things a little.