"Guided Partitioning" option

I was told to set up 3 partitions for my Ubuntu install.

however upon installing, i chose "Guided" and what it did for my 36GB HDD was set 1.5gb for the swap file and 35.5gb for the rest (root partition?)

so i was told by my friend (member here: nicedreams) that i should reformat and setup the three partitions like Fred666 told me in my "thinking of going back to Linux" thread

what i plan on doing is just transferring my music from my 160gb storage ntfs HDD and put them on a folder created on my desktop (after i figure out how to install my sound card drivers) I have 1gb of ram.

should i leave everything as is, or setup the three partitions?

I was told to set up 3 partitions for my Ubuntu install.

however upon installing, i chose "Guided" and what it did for my 36GB HDD was set 1.5gb for the swap file and 35.5gb for the rest (root partition?)

so i was told by my friend (member here: nicedreams) that i should reformat and setup the three partitions like Fred666 told me in my "thinking of going back to Linux" thread

what i plan on doing is just transferring my music from my 160gb storage ntfs HDD and put them on a folder created on my desktop (after i figure out how to install my sound card drivers) I have 1gb of ram.

should i leave everything as is, or setup the three partitions?

585746375[/snapback]

I'd leave it. Ubuntu's installer takes 1.5 x available ram as a swap, and uses the rest for the file system. You could subdivide the 35gb more if you wanted, but it isn't necessary.

It's a preference thing. There are good reasons to set up seperate /boot, /root, and /Home partitions, mostly related to security, but from a user standpoint, /root and /swap is just fine.