Death in arena football

Man, that is horrible. I bet on the replay, it looks like just a routine play. The worst injuries never look like they come from a real hard hit, or anything. Just a fluke. So sad. God bless

i don't see any clips yet, but as someone said, it didn't look bad at all. although i think i only saw it in slow motion. it was on the local news here in LA.

Saw it here in NY too. Didn't look bad at all. In fact, I thought I saw him move after he got hit. Maybe he was just going limp but he seemed to hold his head up for a while on the ground. Really sad. :(

the play really didnt look that bad.. i had the volume down and just thought it was a regular highlight until they brought out the stretcher.

From Panthers.com

Former Panthers defensive lineman Lucas dies

April 11, 2005

Panthers.com

Former Panthers defensive lineman Al Lucas died tragically on Sunday after being severely injured in the Los Angeles Avengers Arena Football League game against the New York Dragons. Lucas played two seasons (2000-01) for Carolina and recorded 59 tackles and one sack in 20 games.

"He was a good guy in the locker room, always playing around and joking," said Panthers defensive end Mike Rucker, who played with Lucas along the defensive line. "He had this saying at training camp about skinny teammates, 'You've got to get this man something to eat, man.' That is what I remember."

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said, "We are stunned and obviously saddened by the passing of Al."

Originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by Pittsburgh in 2000, Lucas was waived by the Steelers during training camp and was later signed by Carolina. He was the 1999 Division I-AA Defensive Player of the Year following his senior season at Troy State.

Dang, This is sad news. I hate to hear about anything like this happening. Sad day. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more in the NFL.. but very glad it don't.