Sheff Scuffles with Boston Fan

I saw this last night on Sportscenter...Sheff fielded a grounder near the wall and this idiot punched (or took a swing) at him while he was bent over picking up the ball. Another guy threw beer all over him. Luckily he didn't go up into the stands after the guy or anything.

Link to Story

That fan was a jackass. I HATE the Yankees and even I have to side with Sheffield on this one. You guys hear the defense by the idiot's fiancee? Article

"[sheffield] got all steroid-ish and punched him with the glove," said 16-year-old Rachel Amaral. "All he [the fan] was doing was reaching down to catch the ball."
If that was a reach to get the ball, that guy has the worst eye-hand coordination EVER. He didn't even bend down just took an uppercut. Regardless of whether he hit him hard or just grazed him, why the HELL would you pick Sheffield of all people to do that to? He's lucky Sheff showed some restraint. When he turned back after throwing the ball in I thought the guy was DEAD. And WHY were the idiots trying to get the ball anyway? If they did and it became a ground rule double that would have HURT their team.

wow, i just saw that this morning. pretty crazy if you ask me. i thought sheff was gonna club him across the face, but it looks like he just faked it.

wow, i just saw that this morning.  pretty crazy if you ask me.  i thought sheff was gonna club him across the face, but it looks like he just faked it.

585779875[/snapback]

I think, more over, Sheff just restrained himself last minute than intending to fake the punch. He would have knocked the guy stone cold out and it would have cost him a few million bucks after the lawsuit.

I was watching the game when this happened and I really couldn't believe it. Bigbluepride35 and I were discussing and my Yankee side instantly saw the guy swinging at Sheff while he was a little more skeptical.

yeah, see, i still haven't caught the swing at sheff, i was looking too closely at something else. need to see the replay again.

after watching the replay, I don't see where the fan actually made contact. maybe I'm just watching it close enough.

i just watched it again on sportscenter, in HD. the guy makes a downward swinging motion, more towards the ball/ground, but sheff has his head down, and i think the guys arm grazes across his face. it didn't actually look like it was directed toward to sheff.

i just watched it again on sportscenter, in HD.? the guy makes a downward swinging motion, more towards the ball/ground, but sheff has his head down, and i think the guys arm grazes across his face.? it didn't actually look like it was directed toward to sheff.

585781041[/snapback]

But when he brings the arm back up? Like I said if anyone hates the Yanks I do. But I still thought the fan tried. And as far as making contact Steffan, I think he just grazed him but I think it was there. Of course, I'm sure you could ask 10 differrent people and they'd see it 10 different ways. But the guy definitely didn't really bend over to go for the ball all that much IMO. If he was going for the ball it was a pathetic attempt. And again I think they need to make more of a buffer in that corner between fans and players. Then this wouldn't even BE an issue. At least when the Yanks are in town. Everyone remember the bullpen scuffle involving, if I remember correctly, Jeff Nelson and, as Pedro put it so well in an interview with Peter Gammons, Karim "Who is Karim Garcia? Nobody." Garcia?:p:p

Ugh... This whole Boston-New York thing is out of hand... Pretty soon, New England will be blown up. It'll be a big explosion.

Ugh... This whole Boston-New York thing is out of hand... Pretty soon, New England will be blown up. It'll be a big explosion.

585781969[/snapback]

This is how we vent out frustration and all. I'm glad I have this rivalry in my life.

This is how we vent out frustration and all. I'm glad I have this rivalry in my life.

585781974[/snapback]

Rivalry is not beating up players on the field... :pinch:

hahaha, I saw this on sportcentre....no intention on hitting sheffield....i mean you can't think the fan to be THAT dumb....looked like he was taking a blind swipe @ the one hopper....plus sheff is a GIANT FLAPPING ######.

This whole thing's being blown out of proportion.

585782046[/snapback]

Not really. If Sheff takes that swing after throwing the ball in we could've had another Indiana-Detroit fiasco. Luckily Sheff held back and security got there quickly. But especially considering recent athlete-fan altercations I think it's a serious issue. Aside from that b-ball game in baseball alone in recent years we've had the Tom Gamboa incident, the Matt Spiers incident, the Milton Bradley incident, and the (Francisco?) Rodriguez incident. Fan's have to realize their domain is the stands. You pay for your ticket, not for the right to be stupid and interfere in the field of play. Heckle all you want IMO but when you cross that line you deserve to get jumped and an entire baseball team. Similarly, the players have to learn to deal with the heckling. As long as it doesn't get physical, which it unfortunately did in those incidents, you have to learn to deal with getting verbally harassed.

hahaha, I saw this on sportcentre....no intention on hitting sheffield....i mean you can't think the fan to be THAT dumb....looked like he was taking a blind swipe @ the one hopper....plus sheff is a GIANT FLAPPING ######.

585782060[/snapback]

What? The guy got hit in the mouth. While it's commonly accepted that the fan was swinging at him, let's just say he was reaching for the ball, for your sake. Gary had no idea as he was, wait for it, playing a game of baseball and had his head down trying to pick up the ball. Next thing he knows, an arm swings down, no where near the ball, and hits him in the mouth. He proceeded to push the guy off of him so he could cleanly throw the ball back and then was about to knock the guy the hell out, but luckily restrained himself.

For those of you claiming he was reaching for the ball, watch the clip closely. He made an uppercut swinging motion. Watch anyone else grabbing for the ball. Their hands went in a straight downward motion, not swinging. The fan was probably a little drunk and got carried away. Either way, the MLB needs to look at stuff like this. There have been way too many instances of fans feeling the need to interject themselves into the game. Hell, even after all that crap, some genius ran onto the field at the end of the game only to get tackled by security.

Not really. If Sheff takes that swing after throwing the ball in we could've had another Indiana-Detroit fiasco. Luckily Sheff held back and security got there quickly. But especially considering recent athlete-fan altercations I think it's a serious issue. Aside from that b-ball game in baseball alone in recent years we've had the Tom Gamboa incident, the Matt Spiers incident, the Milton Bradley incident, and the (Francisco?) Rodriguez incident. Fan's have to realize their domain is the stands. You pay for your ticket, not for the right to be stupid and interfere in the field of play. Heckle all you want IMO but when you cross that line you deserve to get jumped and an entire baseball team. Similarly, the players have to learn to deal with the heckling. As long as it doesn't get physical, which it unfortunately did in those incidents, you have to learn to deal with getting verbally harassed.

585782162[/snapback]

Yes, really.

Want to know why? Because he didn't do anything. Thus, it was blown out of proportion. You can't argue a hypothetical situation isn't being blown out of proportion like that :laugh:

Yes, really.

Want to know why? Because he didn't do anything. Thus, it was blown out of proportion. You can't argue a hypothetical situation isn't being blown out of proportion like that  :laugh:

585782198[/snapback]

Are you simply refusing to admit you're wrong? It's not being blown out of proportion because it's an indication of a much larger problem.

Yes, really.

Want to know why? Because he didn't do anything. Thus, it was blown out of proportion. You can't argue a hypothetical situation isn't being blown out of proportion like that  :laugh:

585782198[/snapback]

O of course. Let's wait until there's a Detroit-Indiana fiasco in baseball BEFORE we deal with the problem. Perish the thought we try to PREVENT something rather than have to react to it.

IMO if this idiot wants to hit Sheff they should lock them both in a 10x10 room and let this jackass take a swing at him while he isn't playing a game :D. My money is on Sheff in the 1st round :ninja:

Are you simply refusing to admit you're wrong? It's not being blown out of proportion because it's an indication of a much larger problem.

585782216[/snapback]

Hahahahaha! Refusing to admit I'm wrong? It's an opinion! How can I be wrong about it being blown out of proportion when it's my opinion? Hey, I can say the same about you -- you're refusing to admit you're wrong that it isn't being blown out of proportion. Does that make me right? Nope. Doesn't make you right, either, buddy :)

Like I said: nothing happened. Did anyone get hurt? Nope. Did the police not respond? Nope, they did. Did a riot break out? Nope. It's your normal New York-Boston rivalry stuff. If you haven't come to expect this then I'm not sure you can consider yourself a sports fan. It's a simple matter: the fan was being stupid, tempers flaired, nothing happened.

You guys are turning this into a bigger deal than the whole Rangers-Athletics thing last year -- when something did actually happen.

Hahahahaha! Refusing to admit I'm wrong? It's an opinion! How can I be wrong about it being blown out of proportion when it's my opinion? Hey, I can say the same about you -- you're refusing to admit you're wrong that it isn't being blown out of proportion. Does that make me right? Nope. Doesn't make you right, either, buddy :)

Like I said: nothing happened. Did anyone get hurt? Nope. Did the police not respond? Nope, they did. Did a riot break out? Nope. It's your normal New York-Boston rivalry stuff. If you haven't come to expect this then I'm not sure you can consider yourself a sports fan. It's a simple matter: the fan was being stupid, tempers flaired, nothing happened.

You guys are turning this into a bigger deal than the whole Rangers-Athletics thing last year -- when something did actually happen.

585783826[/snapback]

Your last sentence, right there, proves my point. This incident didn't turn into anything, but look at what happened last year between teams that don't even come close to sharing the same rivalry. As I said before, this is indicative if a continued trend in Baseball where fans cross the line. This incident isn't a problem, in and of itself, but it's part of something much bigger. Denying that is simply being nieve. This is the perfect time to step up and do something to thwart future issues. Being proactive will always be more productive than having to be reactive.

My last line proves nothing of the sort. My entire point was you guys are making a bigger deal out of something where absolutely nothing happens to a situation where something did happen. You can't even begin to compare the two other than they both involved fans and baseball players. They are two completely different situations. Am I denying that there was a problem? No, I am not, so stop trying to put words in my mouth. I said you guys are turning it into a bigger problem than it actually is. I'm not naive for thinking you guys are making this into something it's not.

Secondly, it is great how you side-stepped the complete argument of me "refusing to admit" that I was "wrong" for thinking it was blown out of proportion and changed your argument completely.