Identifying Hardware

So, let's say you need drivers for a certain board(s), (eg. Modem, sound card) etc. You don't have them on hand and you don't know who makes the card. I'm going to show you a few ways to identify hardware.

1) Maybe it's just there?

I spent a few tiring moments trying to find out what kind of Sound Blaster I had. AFAIK, they run on different drivers, each. Then I looked at the top of the card and:

post-54262-1113688324.jpg

Obviously indicated that this card is a Sound Blaster 16 Value

So it's not always harder than a rock. You won't find this on every card, though.

2) FCC ID

Again, you won't find this on every card. This is usually found with the rest of the FCC jargon (usually on back of the card, can be on front)

post-54262-1113688450.jpg

Crappy picture, but you get the idea.

Then, go on Google and put in FCC ID: (fccid) except replace (fccid) with the actual FCC ID.

A search indicates that FCC ID CJEMUL-35728-M5-E goes along with a US Robotics Model 0727 modem.

3) The chip hunt

Another way is to find the chipset of the device. This can be anywhere on the card and thus a little more difficult to find the correct one.

post-54262-1113688986.jpg

The chip indicates that this modem is an Ambient MD5628

That's all for now. I'll edit the post with more when I get around to it.

or just use any program like sysoft?

585785265[/snapback]

I said I was adding more.

I've found these programs to often not work either. That, or I'm just having bad luck...