Guest only option when accessing networked PC

ntwkprob.jpg

As you can see, the drop-down box for the username is greyed out, locked on Guest. I'm sure there's a drop-dead simple fix for this that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

I take it that you are trying to make a connection from another computer in your home network? If that is so, I suggest for you to go thru the network setup wizard on both machines first. Make sure to boot both machines after you are done. Let's say you have computer1 and computer2 and you are trying to get computer2 to connect to computer1. You have to enter the username and password of computer2 onto computer1 to allow computer2 to communicate. With this way, you don't have to enter username and password.

Originally posted by nartac

I take it that you are trying to make a connection from another computer in your home network? If that is so, I suggest for you to go thru the network setup wizard on both machines first. Make sure to boot both machines after you are done. Let's say you have computer1 and computer2 and you are trying to get computer2 to connect to computer1. You have to enter the username and password of computer2 onto computer1 to allow computer2 to communicate. With this way, you don't have to enter username and password.

Network setup wizard has been run on both machines, still this same prompt. And yes, it's just two PC's on a home LAN. Where can I enter the username and password of my PC into the second computer, network setup wizard shows no prompt for it.

Thanks.

Originally posted by BananaMan

ntwkprob.jpg

As you can see, the drop-down box for the username is greyed out, locked on Guest. I'm sure there's a drop-dead simple fix for this that I'm missing.

Thanks in advance!

It dosen't matter, even it show's you the "Stuck Guest" Login,

but you can still put the admin password or any other account's password in it, to get login.

its work here !!!

I'm at work now but if no one already given you a detailed steps to do it, then I will help you tomorrow when I get home (have to be on-call 24H today :disappoin )

Ok, BananaMan, I have a little time so I can hopefully help you. Remember that the directions that I describe will be from memory so bear with me:

Suppose you want to share a folder on computer #1, u need to do the following on computer #1 (u will need the username and password of your computer #2 on the step that I will describe later)

1)go to start->my computer->tools->folder options->view-> advanced settings->go to the bottom and uncheck "use simple file sharing"

2)go to start->control panel->performance & Maintenance-> admin tools->computer management->local users and groups-> now click on folder "users".....Go to Action->chose "new user"-> put in the user name of your computer #2 (for user) and then the password (exactly as you have it on computer #2). Make sure to check on "password never expires" (since you r using this at home)

3)now, the next step is to make sure that your computer #1 is in the same group as computer #2 (and vice versa). Go to system under control panel->click on the "computer name" tab and see if the name of the "group" is same on both computers.

4)now on the computer that you want to share, say, a folder, just go to that folder, right click on the folder->chose "share this folder"->click on apply then ok. Sharing a complete drive has few more steps but I won't go into it unless you ask for it.

5)Now boot up your computer.

6)you should be able to connect from computer #2 now. Boot computer #2 just in case if it does not connect.

Hope this is detailed enough and I also hope it solves your problem.

Ok, BananaMan, I have a little time so I can hopefully help you. Remember that the directions that I describe will be from memory so bear with me:

Suppose you want to share a folder on computer #1, u need to do the following on computer #1 (u will need the username and password of your computer #2 on the step that I will describe later)

1)go to start->my computer->tools->folder options->view-> advanced settings->go to the bottom and uncheck "use simple file sharing"

2)go to start->control panel->performance & Maintenance-> admin tools->computer management->local users and groups-> now click on folder "users".....Go to Action->chose "new user"-> put in the user name of your computer #2 (for user) and then the password (exactly as you have it on computer #2). Make sure to check on "password never expires" (since you r using this at home)

3)now, the next step is to make sure that your computer #1 is in the same group as computer #2 (and vice versa). Go to system under control panel->click on the "computer name" tab and see if the name of the "group" is same on both computers.

4)now on the computer that you want to share, say, a folder, just go to that folder, right click on the folder->chose "share this folder"->click on apply then ok. Sharing a complete drive has few more steps but I won't go into it unless you ask for it.

5)Now boot up your computer.

6)you should be able to connect from computer #2 now. Boot computer #2 just in case if it does not connect.

Hope this is detailed enough and I also hope it solves your problem.

I really do appreciate the time you are taking to help me out. Unfortunetly, all of this has already been done. The network itself is running quite well, printing and internet connection sharing is performing flawlessly, it's just this stuck guest login screen that I'm finding to be of a problem. I've even tried applying a password as well as administrative permissions to the guest account, but the password isn't accepted. I can access folders which I've set to not require any login or password fine.

hmmmm.....Try disable your guest account and see. With my method, you shouldn't need to put in any username or password at all.

Nup, still get that stupid dialog.

I've actually managed to fix it now, typing in //family/c$ still produces that stupid prompt but I deleted and recreated the shares on the other PC and now it's letting me in, thanks for your help and your time, it's really appreciated.

Nup, still get that stupid dialog.

I've actually managed to fix it now, typing in //family/c$ still produces that stupid prompt but I deleted and recreated the shares on the other PC and now it's letting me in, thanks for your help and your time, it's really appreciated.

Hmmmm..... c$. Are you sharing the whole HD BananaMan? If you do, there are few more steps that you need to perform prior to be able to connect without username and pw as I described in the directions above.

Hmmmm..... c$. Are you sharing the whole HD BananaMan? If you do, there are few more steps that you need to perform prior to be able to connect without username and pw as I described in the directions above.

Yes, I am sharing the entire HD. c$ is a administrative share enabled by default, a share that's settings cannot be changed. Normally, I'd use the admin logon and password for it, but since the stuck guest login I can't.

Anyway, the problem is solved, so it's fairly irrelevant. Thanks again!

Yes, I am sharing the entire HD. c$ is a administrative share enabled by default, a share that's settings cannot be changed. Normally, I'd use the admin logon and password for it, but since the stuck guest login I can't.

Anyway, the problem is solved, so it's fairly irrelevant. Thanks again!

AH!!!!! I see the problem now. What you need to do is right click on the HD that you want to share. Chose "share ...." .Chose the button that will allow you to share the HD (I remember it's the second option) (you should see something like c$). What you need to do next is to click on "New Share" button and give it a name i.e "C_Drive". then click ok. That should solve the problem. I can almost guarantee that you won't get that window anymore. Sorry I can't post up a sample pic for you since i'm still at work.

AH!!!!! I see the problem now. What you need to do is right click on the HD that you want to share. Chose "share ...." .Chose the button that will allow you to share the HD (I remember it's the second option) (you should see something like c$). What you need to do next is to click on "New Share" button and give it a name i.e "C_Drive". then click ok. That should solve the problem. I can almost guarantee that you won't get that window anymore. Sorry I can't post up a sample pic for you since i'm still at work.

Again, I appreciate you wanting to help - but the problems already solved! I don't get that login box anymore.