NFL Draft

With the draft being tomorrow doesn't the NFL season unofficially start? :D I think it's time to get an official Neowin 2005 NFL Thread going lol.

This year's draft seems to have a lot less depth than last year, except in the running back area where there could be three top 10-15 guys gone depending on teams possibly trading up/down. I'll still watch because I'm an NFL junkie.

I'm just hoping that my Lions pick a defensive player that will do good for them. Last year's draft went really well. Now is the time to start winning a few games.

Well, I know the Bears will botch their draft so I don't have any plans to watch much of it. Word is that they will either take Cedric Benson or trade down.

If you look at Benson's numbers as a split between crappy teams and real teams he's not that good. He loaded up on the weaker teams on the sched and I don't know the exact numbers but struggled mightily against better teams like Oklahoma. And that's just college.

Trading down means they'd probably get the Redskins 9th pick overall and their 2nd round pick. I don't think they'd get both the 'skins first rounders because that means they would have given up almost 5 picks just to get the 4th spot this year. Not doubting it but they can't be that dumb. At 9 they probably won't have a shot at Edwards, Mike Williams, Benson, Brown, or C. Williams.

If I were them I'd take Mike Williams (if only because a second benefit is it keeps him away from Minnesota) and then take Mike Nugent (yes I know, a kicker but I really think he'll be worth more than a second round pick) in the second round. Having Muhammed and Williams should already open up the running game for Jones this year and if it doesn't work out they can draft a RB next year.

Who do you guys think should be taken #1?

I like Aaron Rodgers alot...I think he's going to be the best QB in this draft. But I still think Mike Williams is the best overall. That doesn't say much though cause this is a pretty weak draft.

I think Rodgers will be taken 1st overall. Though I think the Niners would be better served to take Mike Williams and worry about QB next year with Leinart. I really don't think Rodgers is a franchise type QB and definitely not worth the signing bonus that he'll command simply for being the best of a weak class.

My thought...

Bears will draft someone who will get overpaid and play 3 years cause he'll suck. They'll also pass on a few players that'll become Pro Bowl players

I was going to create a thread on the first round picks, like I did last year, but I'm going to a fair on first time home buyers.

I think the 9ers will pick someone, but I would rather have them trade the pick for many picks.

I hope the 49ers draft either Mike Williams or Braylond Edwards with the first pick. Forget the quarterbacks, we are going to suck anyway, regardless of Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith. We need a solid, strong, tall receiver to go opposite Brandon Lloyd.

Honestly, I don't think Tim Rattay is that bad to have to negate losing one of those 2 receivers. Yeah, he isn't the long-term answer, but the 49ers will still have a high pick in next year's draft.

Either that or the 49ers should trade down a couple spots and pick up Antrel Rolle (ewwww, a Hurricane :x ) or Pac-Man Jones. Our defense sucks big time and now that we are going to a 3-4 defense, we need good DBs.

I agree. They don't need a QB. Its going to take time for the QB to develop. They should focus on defense and offense line. If they pick a QB, he will be running for his life on every down.

Well first round just finished up. Not really many surprises for me but a few observations I had:

Auburn had a strong class this year. Obviously the two RBs were expected to go high but they also had Charles Rogers CB at number 9. Three in the top 10 and Jason Campbell at number 25. Obviously went undefeated last year for a reason.

I think Aaron Rodgers was fortunate to get drafted by Green Bay. Granted, falling that far will cost him $$ but he gets to sit behind and learn frm Brett FRIGGIN Favre. About the best thing he could've asked for IMO after falling down the board like that.

The Lions will have one HECK of a receiving corps if Rogers can stay healthy. Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams all on the field at the same time? That has to be a QB's wet dream.

That's about it. My Giants don't pick until 43 so I really didn't have much personal interest in the draft. Interesting that after all the talk of teams possibly moving up or down no one did really.

I am a bit bummed that David Pollack got selected by Cincinati. I hope e can survive a few years and hopefully move out to a better franchise.

EDIT: Oooh, I see Philly picked up Reggie Brown. Maybe putting a little heat on T.O.?

If you couldn't tell, I'm a GA Bulldog fan (alumni, actually)

Go Dawgs!

Edit-Edit: Cinci also got Odell Thurman. Damn, I may actually have to pull for Cinci a few times this year!

Jacksonville getting Thomas Jones is good news for them, he's a stud.

I think Aaron Rodgers was fortunate to get drafted by Green Bay. Granted, falling that far will cost him $$ but he gets to sit behind and learn frm Brett FRIGGIN Favre. About the best thing he could've asked for IMO after falling down the board like that.

585819246[/snapback]

The Packers need a replacement for Favre. Hopefully he will be that replacement. I don't see Favre playing more than 2 seasons.

Smith is head and shoulders above Rogers  If Rogers isn't picked #1, he'll likely fall a FAR way.

Braylon is far and away the best WR in the draft.

585814003[/snapback]

Hehe..Told ya.

pretty interesting...can't wait to see with smith can do. honestly, his arm has never impressed me that much, although his legs and brain have.

nice to braylon edwards get some props, first receiver to go. i really hope he can play well in the pros.

Why did the Redskins draft a QB?

585819670[/snapback]

Because Joe Gibbs probably doesn't fully trust Patrick Ramsey. And I personally don't really blame him for that. And based on last year it seems that Brunell is pretty much done.

I hope the 49ers draft either Mike Williams or Braylond Edwards with the first pick. Forget the quarterbacks, we are going to suck anyway, regardless of Aaron Rodgers or Alex Smith. We need a solid, strong, tall receiver to go opposite Brandon Lloyd.

Honestly, I don't think Tim Rattay is that bad to have to negate losing one of those 2 receivers. Yeah, he isn't the long-term answer, but the 49ers will still have a high pick in next year's draft.

Either that or the 49ers should trade down a couple spots and pick up Antrel Rolle (ewwww, a Hurricane  :x ) or Pac-Man Jones. Our defense sucks big time and now that we are going to a 3-4 defense, we need good DBs.

585814707[/snapback]

Well, I was way off on this one :D

I guess maybe Mike Nolan thinks the 49ers can sign David Boston. We did get a big, good guard from Michigan...I think his name is Baas or something. With all of the money the 49ers are paying Kevan Barlow, we better get a running game. Hell, we better get better at everything.

Welcome to San Francisco, Alex Smith. Here's to hoping our offensive line doesn't let you get smacked around game after game like what happened to Steve Young, Jeff Garcia, and Tim Rattay.

TigerEyes_trans.png

Auburn alum here! Couldn't be more proud of our guys today. 4 first round draft picks! That's a first for an SEC school!

I am now an official Miami Dolphins fan...Ronnie was my favorite. Way to go dude! :punk:

Smith is head and shoulders above Rogers  If Rogers isn't picked #1, he'll likely fall a FAR way.

Braylon is far and away the best WR in the draft.

585814003[/snapback]

I've seen Smith play... he's good, but he's not that good. He's extremely intelligent (on the field and off, obviously), but he's extremely overrated. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a bust.

TigerEyes_trans.png

Auburn alum here!  Couldn't be more proud of our guys today.  4 first round draft picks!  That's a first for an SEC school!

I am now an official Miami Dolphins fan...Ronnie was my favorite.  Way to go dude!  :punk:

585820548[/snapback]

Auburn had a helluva day for sure!

Always support the SEC, except when my Dawgs are playing...

I've seen Smith play... he's good, but he's not that good. He's extremely intelligent (on the field and off, obviously), but he's extremely overrated. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a bust.

585820645[/snapback]

thats exactly the same feelings i'm having. he'd be better off as a receiver or something (dunno how tall he is...)

soloredd: baas is a monster, great pickup for you guys. i will miss him as a wolverine.

*i'm satisfied with atlanta's picks. Haven't heard much about Roddy White, but apparently he's got a lot of talent, and is going to be the deep threat that peerless price never was. I'm hoping we draft some offensive line help today, thats still my biggest concern, getting Michael some protection.

*wtf detroit.

*miami @ tampa bay week 6. the two auburn running backs head to head.