Australia's Tour To England - ASHES 2005

With the first Test match to start on the 21st of july on the scenic LORDS cricket ground in London. Already things are getting heated up with Ricky Ponting's bat under scrutiny yet again.

Here's the full article from Cricinfo.

Ponting's bat: still under scrutiny

Contrary to earlier reports, Ricky Ponting's bat - which is reinforced by a thin carbon graphite strip running down the spine - has not yet received approval from the International Cricket Council. Earlier this week, MCC kicked up a minor storm by suggesting that the modification gives Ponting an unfair advantage, although this was dismissed in the Australian media as an attempt to destabilise the team in the run-up to this summer's Ashes.

Peter Young, a spokesman for Cricket Australia, confirmed that the Australian board had no objections, but an ICC spokesman told Cricinfo that the matter had been referred back to the MCC who, in their capacity as the guardian of the laws of cricket, would determine whether the bat conforms to the regulations.

"The bat is permitted pending a decision from MCC," added the spokesman, who explained that it is the ICC who decides on the playing conditions of cricket, and so had the power to override the laws if necessary. The whole issue will be examined in greater detail by the ICC Cricket Committee at their meeting in Dubai in May.

In a later press release, the ICC chief executive, Malcolm Speed, confirmed that the issue of bat reinforcement was of growing significance. ?The ICC is increasingly concerned with issues surrounding the way in which bats are manufactured and ?enhanced?," said Speed. "During the ICC Cricket World Cup 2003 there were a number of oversized bats detected and manufacturers were put on notice that it was expected that they would produce bats that comply with the laws at all times.

?One of the concerns we currently have is with the practice of ?corking? bats. We are getting consistent reports of bats being corked and that is something that we will be investigating further. One of the potential implications that arises if corking is taking place is that we may need to be able to be able to see the blade clearly from all angles to see if it has been tampered with.?

Sam Halvorsen, Ponting's manager, termed the whole issue as "absolute nonsense", while Rob Elliot, the managing director of Kookaburra, said that Ponting's bat met all the criteria. "In cricket the balance between bat and ball is critical," Elliot said. "Golf and tennis have lost their way with the new technological advances in clubs and racquets. We understand more than anyone how important the fundamental elements of bat and ball are in cricket."

Ponting began using the bat in late December last year and cracked a fantastic double- century against Pakistan in the New Year's Test in Sydney. He carried on the momentum with a hundred in the tsunami-relief game before tearing the New Zealand attack to shreds in the recent series.

Let's witness what is being assumed as a one-sided affair with Australia being the current world champions in both forms of Cricket. England currently the Number 2 side in Test Cricket will need a lot of fire power to even put a dent on Australia's winning streak.

i still don't see australia lose the ashes.

585814129[/snapback]

Agreed. I think Pieterson, Flintoff & Harmison are key players for England.

About Ponting's bat, I think its overblown frankly. They shouldnt add anything to willow, keep the game raw. :yes: I remember the '96 WorldCup, the Srilankans were unstoppable and it was rumored that their bats were spring-loaded. :D

Agreed. I think Pieterson, Flintoff & Harmison are key players for England.

About Ponting's bat, I think its overblown frankly. They shouldnt add anything to willow, keep the game raw.  :yes: I remember the '96 WorldCup, the Srilankans were unstoppable and it was rumored that their bats were spring-loaded. :D

585818131[/snapback]

That was just a rumour because they kicked everyone elses butts during that tournament, Jayasuria and De Silva, What a great team that was.

Regarding the Ashes, I'm looking forward to it, England have a very good team and stand the best chance of taking it from Australia.

Anyone else got tickets for matches?

Aus will kick @ss as usual.

585821403[/snapback]

Yes, it is going to take a massive effort to stop the Aussie juggernaut!

Aus will kick @ss as usual.

585821403[/snapback]

Dream on, we will win the test series, 1 day series, the sledging series and the drinking series.

:yes:

Dream on, we will win the test series, 1 day series, the sledging series and the drinking series.

the only thing you's will win is the whinging contest.. right after we kick your asses and you's realise you were never any match for the aussies.

and you better hope brett lee isn't playing because he's gonna dish out some pain to your batsmen

the only thing you's will win is the whinging contest.. right after we kick your asses and you's realise you were never any match for the aussies.

and you better hope brett lee isn't playing because he's gonna dish out some pain to your batsmen

585821440[/snapback]

much as i'd like to agree with LeeSmithG, i think SeMz is right...except about the drinking contest...u aussies are a bunch of sheila's at drinking.....

If England beats Australia, it could be something huge. Harmison & Flintoff should be leading the way.

If England beats Australia, it could be something huge. Harmison & Flintoff should be leading the way.

585823107[/snapback]

It would be huge, Australia are unbeatable at the moment and England haven't won the ashes in a long time that is why the buildup of this year is so good.

I've heard Ausies are bringing someone known as Nathan Tait...a top rated fast bowler who took 65 wickets in the Pura Cup. Someone to match Brett Lee's pace eh :)

It would be brilliant for England if they win. And I think they will. Australia have beaten England too much times. England have really progressed in the past year or so and hopefully they will win.