Zoomable World Map

Question

Dear All,

Does anyone know how to create a world map that is zoomable (so in flash or something), and quality is not lost while zooming? It would also need to have points on it (blob type things), and the further you zoom the more appear.

I look forward to your response,

Richard.

10 answers to this question

I have done this sorta thing with a map of Australia. You need a nice clear map of the world or whatever, scan it in or find one on the net (perhaps using Google's image search). Try and get the clearest, hi-res picture you can find. Use Flash to import and trace the bitmap to create a map outline. You may have to adjust settings to get the best results. Once you have it traced the map can be zoomed in without going 'blocky'. Now you can simply add the points manually using the drawing tools in flash. If you need different "levels of zoom", then create different movie clips for the variaous zoom levels and replace them as the user clicks the zoom in button, and replace them back as they zoom out.

I know of plenty of big enough maps - what I need is someone who knows how to create a zoomable flash map on which points can be plotted, and the further you zoom, the more points become visible.

I have done this sorta thing with a map of Australia. You need a nice clear map of the world or whatever, scan it in or find one on the net (perhaps using Google's image search). Try and get the clearest, hi-res picture you can find. Use Flash to import and trace the bitmap to create a map outline. You may have to adjust settings to get the best results. Once you have it traced the map can be zoomed in without going 'blocky'. Now you can simply add the points manually using the drawing tools in flash. If you need different "levels of zoom", then create different movie clips for the variaous zoom levels and replace them as the user clicks the zoom in button, and replace them back as they zoom out.

585821937[/snapback]

(Y) Heh, good idea. with vectos no loss of quality, so that'd be good. Only problem is that it must take aaages for the trace bitmap to work (say settings 1 and 1) if the pic is as large as you suggest it should be