Montreal singer struggles to perform U.S. anthem

QUEBEC  ? Friday night was certainly one to forget for Caroline Marcil of Montreal.

The singer was slated to perform the national anthems prior to the United States' 5-4 exhibition hockey win over Canada. However, she sang neither after twice failing to complete the Star Spangled Banner when she seemingly forgot the words.

After apologizing to the crowd, Marcil left the ice and headed back towards the dressing room --to a smattering of boos from the Quebec Coliseum crowd of 7,166 - presumably to get the words.

But when the young woman returned to the ice, the carpet slipped out from underneath her, causing Marcil to fall hard.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...114263677657_29

The young singer who embarrassed herself at a hockey game Friday night had a chance to redeem herself Sunday.

By Sunday morning, Marcil appeared more confident and totally recovered. The host of Good Morning America's Sunday edition thanked the Montreal singer "for having the guts to come down to the U.S."

Asked if language was the problem Friday night, the French-Canadian singer admitted she blanked out on the song, but the rudeness of hockey fans made things worse.

"Maybe ? it was a lot of things together. It's like the emotion, the stress."

Marcil went on to sing The Star Spangled Banner perfectly.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...1114367702549_2

Theres a video of when she messed up and when they gave her a chance to perform is correctly in the first and second link.

Funny...yet agonizingly painful to watch.:wacko:cko:

Edited by Rob2687

It's a good thing she got a chance to redeem herself...Otherwise I don't know how US/Canada relations could have ever recovered from such an event. :p ;)

that was not funny at all imo :(

Poor her. I occasionally do some presentation in front of 200 ppl (in english, which is my 2nd language)

and I'm always stressed to die. So I can understand her with over 10000 ppl :(

I'm often become a nervous wreck and I can 100% understand how embarassed that would've been for her.

I'm happy to see that she had a chance to redeem herself.

Not a good night for this chick... Pretty brutal to watch, she gave it her best shot though... I would have called it a night when I dumped onto the ice too...

:cool:

Yeah where's Mo Cheeks when ya need him. In case no one knows what I'm referring to, a few years ago some girl at a Portland Trail Blazers forgot the words to the National Anthem and the ehad coach helped her finish it. I feel bad for this girl. But what's up with NOBODY helping her up after she fell? Not a single player could get his butt over the boards to help her? Anyway here's a clip http://media2.big-boys.com/files/nationalanthem.wmv

lol, just saw this on PTI, too freakin funny.

it coulda gotten pretty ugly, if anyone remembers all the booing going on between the US/Canadian teams like 2 years ago during the anthems. pretty rude if you ask me.

Speaking of slipping..

I was at a Calgary Hitman game a few years ago and during half-time they had a game going on where if you made a shot from a certain area on the rink you could win a couple prizes.

Well they chose an old man from the audience.. he stood on the red carpet (no different from the video shown above).. he turned his body to make the shot and fell straight back on his head.. the carpet has slipped underneath him..

There was a big pool of blood coming from his head, covered the ice around him.

The paramedics came soon and rushed him to the hospital.

I looked on the news and in the newspapers the day afterwards and never saw any mention of this event.

It sure changed the way I think of those carpets. :o

Saw this on the news last night. I do feel sorry for her- she messed up in front of a huge crowd, but I couldn't resist LMAO for a bit :D

On her second try it would've helped if they got someone else to do the singing :yes:

Yea i agree it was a sad moment for her and i feel sorry for her (as i could only imagine the pressure, especially with the crowd booing her)...

But i also couldn't help to laugh a little when i saw it on the news since i'm American and i'm in Canada so we had a good joke about it. Though it's expected that people forget the anthems sometimes we're only human. I rem. being at a Hamilton Bulldogs AHL game late last year and the girl got the American anthem right and messed up the Canadian one, though no one booed her (though i had a good joke about it after the game)...

I think the people as a whole should have been more respectful of her then and tried to help even... The joking (boooing) and etc. should have been saved for after the game...

At least she had the bottle to do it again on Live TV. I applaud her.