crossover >= 20 ft long

is there ANY retailer out there that sells a cat5(e) crossover cable 20 feet or longer? i've checked radio shack and they sell 10 ft max, same with circuit city. best buy sells them at 14 ft max but i can't find a store that sells them longer than this. if i had the materials i would make my own but i'm sort of in a hurry.

You can stick a cross-over adapter on any regular cat5(e) cable of whatever length.

Huh? Crossover what? I believe you mean a coupler.

Cross over cable ->COUPLER<- patch/straight-through cable

Look ma! A long-ass crossover cable!

Are you sure you need a x-over cable even? Most network devices in say the last 3 or 4 years will auto crossover the connection if required.. Ie any somewhat recent router, dsl/cable modem, switch, hub, etc.. will auto switch the connection over if need be.. The only reason you would need a xover cable is if your running between NIC's directly... If that is the case - move the freaking machines closer ;) Or connect them with a switch/hub/router/wireless, etc..

you don't want any longer than 15 feet, as you will get bad degradation of the signal.

Good luck

585839080[/snapback]

TIA standards indicate 100 feet as the maximum length for cat 5 cable. Under 100 feet you should not notice any performance degration.

TIA standards indicate 100 feet as the maximum length for cat 5 cable.  Under 100 feet you should not notice any performance degration.

585839104[/snapback]

^that is absolutely correct. I've made my own crossover cables. That was the only way I could find one, although there may be some places that will sell you one.

TIA standards indicate 100 feet as the maximum length for cat 5 cable. Under 100 feet you should not notice any performance degration.

That's 100 meters not feet.

100 meters = approx 328 feet

I've always made my own crossover cables, we had one with a friend of mine, from his house to mine :D that was a long @ss cable and always worked under the rain, the sun, and we never had any problem.

I've always made my own crossover cables, we had one with a friend of mine, from his house to mine :D  that was a long @ss cable and always worked under the rain, the sun, and we never had any problem.

585846971[/snapback]

I can make them as much as I want (C-TECH certified -- just passed the exam last week) and if this guy needs a cable, I'll gladly make him one and ship it to him if he pays for the shipping. :]

Huh?  Crossover what?  I believe you mean a coupler.

Cross over cable ->COUPLER<- patch/straight-through cable

Look ma! A long-ass crossover cable!

585839073[/snapback]

Coupler/adapter same thing.

In fact, "crossover adapter" is nearly twice as popular on google as "crossover coupler".

Coupler/adapter same thing.

In fact, "crossover adapter" is nearly twice as popular on google as "crossover coupler".

585847024[/snapback]

an "adapter" implies that you are 'adapting' from one medium to another, such as an adapter for different types of sockets. A "coupler" implies that the device has the same type of connection on either side - it 'couples' two same connections together .

And you wouldn't use a "Crossover adapter" either because that could also mean that you are adapting a streight through cable to a crossover one, in which "adapter" would be the correct term. But the thread starter is looking for a Crossed over cable

And there is no such thing as a "crossover coupler" because in the case of a coupler, it makes no difference if it's crossover, rollover or straight-through, it's all the same, it's just a 'coupler'. (Explains your search results)

Best bet would be to make the cable yourself. The Category 5e specification specifies that the cable can be as long as 100m, which is about 328-330 feet. You just need a couple of RJ-45 jacks, the 100m cable and some crimpers, find a diagram that you can understand so you can get the colours in the correct order and you should be set.

If you want to extend more than 100 metres, you will need an active hub or switch to amplift the signal, a coupler won't do.

And you wouldn't use a "Crossover adapter either" because that could also mean that you are adapting a streight through cable to a crossover one, in which "adapter" would be the correct term. But the thread starter is looking for a Crossed over cable

585847185[/snapback]

I was advising him to "adapt" a regular ethernet cable to work as a crossover cable since he was having trouble finding a long crossover cable but not long regular ethernet cables.

I don't really care what is technically correct. "Crossover adapter" is twice as popular on google and more likely to be understood by whatever lame-ass technician works at his local computer shop.

That's because it's not a "crossover coupler". It's a coupler. There's couples for all kinds of cables.

RCA

Component video

Phone cable

CAT5/6

Coax (though commonly refered to as a barrel)

many more

If you went into a computer store and said I want a "crossover coupler" they would know what you meant but would think you are retarded because your use of terminology sucks.

We sell cross-over and straight thru couplers where I work. A straight thru is wired the same at both ends, the crossover is wired the same as a cross over cable at one end, you have two lines crossed comming out. Hook a straight wired cable to to either end but the one that comes out has been crossed by the coupler. We sell lots of straight thru couplers but as far as I know have never sold one of the cross over ones. It's makes more sense to just buy a cross over cable.

Cody

For the original question we have made up cable at 6, 10, 15, 25, 50 and 100' made up and will make you one up to 1000 foot. Cheaper to get a custom built than a packaged one as we charge 4.5 cents a foot for cable and 19 cents per end.

So check you local Computer store they probably make to order also. Not a chain store but look for one that does outside work like networking. You can always make you own, the crimper is around $14.95 and you can buy like a 1000 ft. box of cable for around $25 to $30 a box. The wiring diagrams can be looked up online for straight thru or crossover.

Cody

Edited by cyoung1616

^ 1000 Ft cable - yeah ok! Like that would work ;) Yeah sure they sell it in spools of that length - does not mean you can crimp connectors to both ends and it will work....