Allen Iverson struck by coin

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - A

Detroit Pistons fan was arrested Tuesday night after the

Philadelphia 76ers' Allen Iverson was struck with a coin at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

The incident did not escalate into a confrontation on the scale of the Nov. 19 Palace brawl involving Pistons fans and

Indiana Pacers players.

Iverson was hit while sitting on the bench with about two minutes left in the 76ers' first-round playoff game against the Pistons, Auburn Hills police Sgt. Rick Leonard said in a written statement. Other fans pointed out the suspect to police and Palace security.

The man, identified only as a 31-year-old Taylor, Mich., resident, was released pending a review of the incident by Oakland County prosecutors, Leonard said.

Iverson scored 19 points in the 99-84 Detroit victory that gave the Pistons a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series.

In the Nov. 19 brawl, Indiana's Ron Artest rushed into the stands and began beating a man he thought had thrown a drink on him. Some of his teammates joined him in the stands and also clashed with fans on the court.

Five Pacers players and four Pistons fans are charged with misdemeanor assault and battery. Fans William Paulson and John Ackerman are to go on trial July 11. John Green, the fan who prosecutors say sparked the brawl by lobbing the drink at Artest, is to be tried along with David Wallace, brother of Pistons center Ben Wallace, on July 15.

The Pacers players are to be tried separately, starting with Artest on Aug. 1 and followed by Anthony Johnson, David Harrison, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson in that order.

A fan charged with throwing a chair pleaded no contest last month and awaits sentencing. Three other fans were sentenced to probation for walking onto the court or throwing objects.

NBA commissioner David Stern suspended Artest for the season, and handed lengthy suspensions to O'Neal and Jackson.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050427/a...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Bloodthirsty fools didn't get enough the first time, apparently.

Iverson is a damn good player, and seems like a really down to earth guy. Why would A-holes pick on him other than to be just pricks is .... like really dumb

If this event shows us anything about AI, it's that the man has matured and really showed some admirable restraint. If that was me or your getting hit by a coin, no doubt we'd be up in a flash with a chair in our hands ready to f*** that dude upside his head. Look what them piston's players did. AI deserves some respect for this ;) .

ya.. ok :rolleyes: ^

the one game i wanted to watch so badly.. didn't get televised on the west coast unless you had one of the premium channels. :no:

I would be p***ed and throw something too if I lived in Detroit.

I bet Raquel is p***ed too...anyone see her website? (cough)stalker(cough) :blush:

I would be p***ed and throw something too if I lived in Detroit.

I bet Raquel is p***ed too...anyone see her website?  (cough)stalker(cough)  :blush:

585846119[/snapback]

Stalker? Why am I stalker, I love Allen Iverson a lot. Why does that make me a stalker? Jeez.

oh i forgot to mention.. besides the coin, AI is getting knocked around like a rag doll on the court against big ben and rasheed :laugh:

:p

he's good though :)

I wonder if the reaction would have been different if it was a regular season game??  I mean, no one wants to get banned for the playoffs or anything.

585845453[/snapback]

Possibly yes. If it was regular season he would have done something. But since its the playoffs, he wants to play and win but more importantly he wants to get paid.

Oh, I guess we forgot about the Artest incident already.

:)

585845419[/snapback]

Oh, I guess we forgot THAT WASN'T THE ENTIRE STADIUM THAT STARTED THAT.

Face it: Artest overreacted by going in the stands. Fans do that at tons of games, and you never hear about it, only this time someone wanted to react, so he did and caused an uproar with the fans. Do you think it would have been different anywhere else if one fan got a player to go in the stands and the same situation occured? I think not.

Secondly, this is a COIN! A freaking coin! People throw crap like that all the time in stadiums. Is it warranted? No. But the only reason it's even being reported is because it's in Detroit, where the "brawl" took place.

Way to look at both sides of the situation. :rolleyes:

Secondly, this is a COIN! A freaking coin! People throw crap like that all the time in stadiums. Is it warranted? No. But the only reason it's even being reported is because it's in Detroit, where the "brawl" took place.

Meh, during the Sporting vs Benfica for the Portuguese Cup (football/soccer), a player from Sporting almost got it by two identical old Siemens cellphones and sticks.

Real Madrid's Lu?s Figo also almost got hit by a cellphone, coins, lighters, sticks and apig's head> in one Barcelona vs Real Madrid.

Recently AC Milan's keeper got it by a flare/verylight.

Talk about security, uh?:no::

Umm just because it was a coin and just because people throw worse things doesn't make this type of foolery acceptable.

Take a second and think about what the coin thrower was trying to accomplish...

He wanted Allen Iverson MAD and to start another brawl like before. THAT is what he was trying to do. And you KNOW AI, with him, there was a chance that that could have actually happened, but thank God, didn't.

Umm just because it was a coin and just because people throw worse things doesn't make this type of foolery acceptable.

Take a second and think about what the coin thrower was trying to accomplish...

He wanted Allen Iverson MAD and to start another brawl like before. THAT is what he was trying to do. And you KNOW AI, with him, there was a chance that that could have actually happened, but thank God, didn't.

585852490[/snapback]

No, I never stated it was acceptable. To the contrary, I said it was quite unacceptable, if you would read my post :)

And, that probably was not what the coin thrower was trying to do. He was probably being an idiot like other fans of the type, just betting his buddies 'hey, I can hit Iverson with this coin, I bet' then snickering when it did or didn't.