"Magic Packet" Questions

I just setup my machine to WOL but I have two questions.

1. When I VPN in to my work and try and use a "Magic Packet" from my home machine in never goes through. I have to Remote Desktop into another machine to send the magic packet. Anyone have an idea why?

2. I am looking for a good, simple graphical program that will send the Magic Packet info. I have tried the AMD one but it seems like it is too much for my needs. Is there a simple one out there that anyone has had experiences with?

hey, im in the same boat as you...my goal has been to set up a vpn so i can use my laptop at home in md to reach my desktop in wv. so far ive been able to wake up the desktop, log on to it using remote desktop, and then shut it down while on the same network, but once i leave the same lan, i have no luck. www.snapfiles.com has some good magic packet and remote admin freeware on it though, maybe you can find something to play around with.

btw, it would seem to me that you would need both the computers MAC number, and some sort of number to narrow its location down. like the ISP's ip, or your router's ip. just a thought though.