How secure are online stores?

I want to buy some computer parts online (using my parents money hehe) anyway their all afraid that their cc number will get highjacked and then theyll be charged like 4billion dollars and the world will blow up :D

So is buying stuff online actually secure? Are my chances good for gettin my cc number stolen?

BTW the website im planning on buyin sum stuff right now is

http://www.savingxoom.com

If that helps... :ponder:

Check with the BBB ... (See if they are registered, or if there are any complaints about them)

Check their privacy policy, return policy, etc ... (if those are good there is a good chance they are a good online store)

Check who does their credit card billing ... (they should **_NOT_** be storing credit cards on their servers)

Search on goolgle for them, see what people say ...

That site does not look very good, so i would be much less enthusiastic about ordering from them :s

thnx for you replies guys

the store is a yahoo store type thingy...

and i did get that site off price watch lol

who cares if its 10-20 $ difference? its my parents money hehehe

Originally posted by HoboCop

thnx for you replies guys

the store is a yahoo store type thingy...

and i did get that site off price watch lol

who cares if its 10-20 $ difference? its my parents money hehehe

lol....and?

haha guess my question would be if yahoo can be trusted? or will i get my a$$ hijacked? And i think the prices are pretty good thinkin of buyin a tower and a mobo thats about it...

Yahoo Policy...

Security Practices

Yahoo! Shopping merchants use secure servers to protect all of your personal information including your name, address and credit card information. Please remember that no data transmission over the Internet, or by other means, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.

SOUNDS pretty good to me... what do u guys think?

first off, I have NEVER had a problem buying things online.

As long as the site is using some form of SSL, you can be damn sure your transmissions cannot be decoded.

Since this is a Yahoo! site, they're billing is handled by Yahoo and therefore it's up to Yahoo to be secure. Since Yahoo uses their shops to make money, they better have a damn secure system to attact businesses to their service.

So, it makes sense that this place is secure, you just have to worry about how the business conducts themselves. Be sure to fill out any business ratings after you get your stuff so other people can know if the site is good or not...

OKAY I'm pretty sure I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy from this site the only review said it was pretty good...

Prices are pretty good...

and the billing is handled by Yahoo's 100% no way in hell can info be transerfed by internet :)

Thnx guys for ur replies!

I have never had any trouble buying stuff online. You just have to make sure of a few things:

- Make sure the order form is encrypted (lock at the bottom) and you have the 128-bit encryption on the browser to be as safe as you can be.

- Try to buy from someone reputable. Fly-by-night places are all to common on the web these days.

That being said, the CC companies as well as federal/state law help protect you in the event something goes wrong. I believe that most CCs have a $0-$50 liability in the event of credit card fraud. Just check and see. Most states have a law that states you can't be held liable for any 'unsigned' purchase you did not make using a CC beyond a certian amount. Of course you would still have quite the headache of messing with the CC companies etc if something did happen.

Offline shopping can be risky too. When you give your card to a waiter at a resturant for 5min while they go off and ring it up, what could they be doing. You may be suprised at how many 'card readers' some of these rouge employess have. Also, ringing up a CC transmits some info (I don't know how much) to validate and charge the card anyway over a phone line.

Oh well, enough rambling. Chances are good you will never have a bad experience buying online. Plus you save a ton of $$$$.

The main problem in online shopping, and security in general, is the so called "Man in the Middle"... I mean, if you're thinkning to talk with your online shop while you're talking with someone else that pretend to be the online shop. But this is very difficult, because it cost a lot of equpment and ability, because of the certified connections the recent browsers do... and so on... all to stole your cc number?!?

Of course, i suggest to shop only from trusted online shops...

bye bye....