Boot Screen problems

Well I was using logonuibootrandomizer earlier to modify my boot screen which worked great. But it got annoying since everytime I started my PC it would go to the screen where I had to choose which OS to use (the program apparantly added a line somewhere so the boot screen modification wouldn't overwrite the orginal Windows one). Great safety insurance since you could boot to orginal if boot screen was corrupt. But anyway like I said that was annoying. Now I've uninstalled and deleted the program but I still have this problem. It'll boot to that screen and wait 30 secs for me to select the modified or orginal one.

How do I get rid of the modified one? (Note: I am only running one OS [windows XP pro SP2]).

You have to edit your boot.ini file and remove the line that points to the modified boot screen.

nevermind (sorry for double post but I can't find delete post button). Anyone know of a good way to change the boot screen without having to use style XP or the logonuibootrandomizer (I would use this but that two OS thing was annoying me)

nevermind (sorry for double post but I can't find delete post button). Anyone know of a good way to change the boot screen without having to use style XP or the logonuibootrandomizer (I would use this but that two OS thing was annoying me)

585916477[/snapback]

I suggest giving bootxp a try. It makes a backup of your boot.ini and doesn't overwrite your ntoskrnl.exe file. You will initialy have 2 choices on boot (one is the modified boot screen and the other is a failsafe backup line). If you delete the backup line, you won't be prompted by the boot loader it will just use your modified boot screen and boot windows.

Here is a screenie with instructions on how to remove the backup os line in bootxp.

post-13144-1116053613_thumb.jpg

thanks, I'm giving that program a try and did what you suggested. Though I'm having a bunch of problems (probably cause I was trying to edit my boot.ini file earlier). Now I have when I boot it it has

(line)

Windows XP Pro (Orginal)

(line)

The only one that works is the Windows XP Pro (orginal) [the modified boot screen one]. Is it possible for me to get a boot.ini from you?

Also the boot screens when I look at them in the preview look beautiful (everything but the progress bar is in the right place). So I try moving the progress bar in the preview then set it as my boot screen. But everything is ugly >.< (the graphics are all distorted and discolored and progress bar is in the wrong place). Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Ok, you need to get your boot.ini back to default and start over.

This is what it should look like if you have XP installed on the first partition of hdd0 (default config).

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

If you could, please post the contents of your boot.ini file. I'd hate to lead you into locking yourself out of your os if yours is set to boot from a different hd or partition. You can find it in the root of whatever drive your os is installed on (usually C:\). If you can't see it, you need to uncheck a few things in folder options.

Open any folder on your PC and click the "Tools" menu. Then select "FolderOptions" and select the "View" tab. Scroll down to "Hidden Files and Folders" and select "Show hidden files and folders". Then uncheck "Hide extentions of known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files (Recomended)". You can see the boot.ini in the root of C:\ now. If you already knew this, sorry. Maybe it can help someone else in the future. :)

Post the contents of the file here so we can have a look see and fix it.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Original)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Original)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE

585919658[/snapback]

Ok, if you copy and paste the boot.ini contents I posted above it will return your boot loader to default.

Now when you run bootxp it will show you your boot.ini and ask you to save it. You can now use the program to change your boot screen. As for the messed up colors and progress bar, I'm not really sure. I've only had one boot screen that had an out of place progress bar and I just exracted the the background with resource hacker and moved the bars container with Paint. If you find a screen that works, you can use the intructions in the screen I posted above to get rid of the backup line and remove the OS choice at boot up.

Hmm..I guess it might be the boot screens themselves. Though the preview for them works beautifully. It just looks horrible at bootup. Any suggestions for known working ones I could try out to see if it's my system or the bootscreens?