[Linux Home Theater] post your experience & Tips

No experience.

However, Haupage cards are very well supported by Haupage (not reverse-engineered).

Also, I have heard a lot about geexbox (spelling?) lately. Might be worth a google.

I have never had a problem - either with Mythtv or Freevo, or VDR. And Geexbox is a total no brainer. I wish you guys would take it in. Things are only hard in Linux because YOU don't know how to do them. Not because they really are all that difficult to do. Once you know how to do them, they suddenly don't seem all that difficult at all. The difficult part I admit is that sometimes finding the information on how to do certain things can be hard, but if you are prepared to keep looking, generally you can always find it.

GJ

In a while I am gonna build a HTPC, I also heard a rumour that USB TV cards are supported by linux but don't wanna take the risk, I am thinking of a hauppauge TV card wich I think has is the best cards supported by linux.

Do you have a hauppage raid?

Also, I have heard a lot about geexbox (spelling?) lately.  Might be worth a google.

585921200[/snapback]

Added to the links, looks nice :yes:

Yes I have a hauppauge WinTV Nova-T digital terrestrial card. It works great. Like everything - easy to set up when you know how. But providing you pick the right distro, it should be pretty simple to get it going straight out of the box. I would though reccomend buying a full featured (and more expensive) card if you can afford it, simply because these have a hardware Mpeg decoder and because they give you a TV in/TV out, so you get better quality and less hassle getting the TV out going. However there are many cards that are supported, including analogue, Digital Terestrial and Satelite. I suggest taking a look at linuxtv.org to find out which might be most appropriate for you.

Don't do it if you are looking for everything to be obvious first time though. It may take time to learn everything. But once you have, the next time you do it, you will wonder why you ever found it difficult to begin with. For quick set up though (as in everything is already in place to get digital TV working (it only took me half an hour to set up) my recommended distro is Kanotix.

Best regards,

GJ

A while ago at work I setup a Fujitsu Activy 200 with DVB-S receiver to work with SuSE Linux 9.3, running MythTV and Freevo.

The Activy is a Windows media center product from Fujitsu, which integrates a Tvia Cyberpro 5000 and Sigma Designs 8400EM MPEG2 decoder chip with an Intel chipset and Celeron CPU.

All in all there were little issues regarding some packages Myth and Freevo needed, but most of those were fixed in about 5 minutes after dumping in apt4rpm and getting the packages from gwdg apt archives. The biggest issue was the lack of REAL acceleration for the Tvia, so I had to resort to using framebuffer - result was a lot better than I had expected really, hardly comparable to my 9800Pro in the Shuttle MCE2005 tho' but what can you expect.

I replaced the aging 850MHz Celeron with a bit more powerful CPU and added another "wind tunnel" to move air inside the box.

Now it's a fully fledged, MPEG2 decoding, Satellite enabled Linux PVR - and it works tons better than my Windows MCE 2005.

Don't do it if you are looking for everything to be obvious first time though. It may take time to learn everything. But once you have, the next time you do it, you will wonder why you ever found it difficult to begin with.

I am currently running linux Suse 9.3.

It started with trying things out and formatted the first 2 weeks every day.

becos I didn't know how to install drivers :blush:

I found the road in the operating system.

It was hard work becos I was spoiled 7 years long by ms, but my end conclusion is.

It is at the end rock solid stable, and I got everything working including home network with samba.

I am not afraid and it doesn't matter if it doesn't work the first time because I learn from my the mistakes. :)

edit: Nice signature, it is correct :)