Wireless Internet Sharing

During my think about switching to Apple, One thing I thought over was:

"To go with a portable or not" - as most of you know (from my threads) I chose a portable, The Powerbook to be precise

(further, a 15" since the 17 is too expensive and slightly too big to walk around with and the 12 is to small)

Anyways on-to my question:

I intend to access the internet with my Powerbook,

This is how I think it will work, I need you to give me info and/or correct me.

Here goes:

My Windows Machine is directly connected to my modem, which goes to my isp etc. as is now. It is the "base machine" as I like to call it.

I will have a Belkin Wireless USB Access Point plugged into the PC, This should allow me to wirelessly share my internet connection with the Powerbook, right?

Or is there another option?

I have heard about these Apple Airport boxes.. I am not sure exactly what they do,

Can I plug my modem into one, totally eliminating the Windows Machine?

When you say "modem" are you talking about a dial-up modem or a cable/DSL modem? If you are talking about a cable/DSL modem, and if it has a network jack, you can get either an Airport base station or you can get any other brand of 802.11g router.

I'm not positive about which Belkin access point you have, can you provide a model number and maybe I can tell you if you could simply use it.

You don't have to keep your wireless router connected to your computer as long as it's properly configured already.

My router is directly connected to the modem provided by my ISP (broadband), and it's not connected to any computer.

But then again, I don't know about USB ones, so my case might not be valid for your situation.

(My router is Linksys WRT54GS)

Well for the modem question, its a Motorola SB5100 SurfBoard Cable Modem, Both a USB and network connection, so I can choose either, but USB requires a driver afaik. I intend on using the network wire though.

As for the USB Belkin AP, its 802.11g with both 64 and 128bit security.

BTW, I don't have any of this yet, I am still saving/choosing.

If I can just chose this airport router (apple calls it "AirPort Extreme Base Station with modem and antenna port" ) and plug my modem directly into it, then it'd get rid of the windows machine yeah?

the powerbook comes with the correct wireless hardware installed right?

so i'd just turn my PB on and i can go to surfing straight away from anywhere within range?

Well for the modem question, its a Motorola SB5100 SurfBoard Cable Modem, Both a USB and network connection, so I can choose either, but USB requires a driver afaik. I intend on using the network wire though.

As for the USB Belkin AP, its 802.11g with both 64 and 128bit security.

BTW, I don't have any of this yet, I am still saving/choosing.

If I can just chose this airport router (apple calls it "AirPort Extreme Base Station with modem and antenna port" ) and plug my modem directly into it, then it'd get rid of the windows machine yeah?

the powerbook comes with the correct wireless hardware installed right?

so i'd just turn my PB on and i can go to surfing straight away from anywhere within range?

585927500[/snapback]

I have almost the same modem, and all you would do is plug the network cable from it into the WAN port on whatever access point you want to use. Does the Belkin have a network jack on it as well as the USB port?

Your PowerBook should be able to connect as soon as the AP is hooked up since most default to DHCP.

Edited by roadwarrior

nah forget the belkin now, if i can use a Airport basestation then i have no need for the belkin, the belkin was basically a usb stick that plugged into the pc as a wifi broadcaster. but if i can just plug my modem into AP and thats it, then i am happy with that.,

haha no. if you followed you might remember that he tried to take credit for the entire project, made me leave and then lost most of the fans of the project. therefore it faded out.