[CFL] Esks sign Ricky Ray

Eskimos sign Ricky Ray

The Edmonton Eskimos have signed free agent quarterback Ricky Ray, returning the 25 year-old to the site of his greatest professional success.

The star of the Edmonton Eskimos' 2003 Grey Cup championship, Ray was released by the National Football League's New York Jets last week.

"I am excited to be back in Edmonton," Ray said in a statement Monday. "I've missed the city and the fans and I know I've come back to a great team."

Ray enjoyed phenomenal success with the Eskimos in 2003, completing 67.6% of his passes for 4,640 yards and 35 touchdowns and now joins incumbent starter Jason Maas on the quarterback depth chart.

"To say I'm thrilled to have Ricky back would be an understatement," Eskimos head coach Danny Macioica said. "He's young, intelligent and poised under pressure."

For his part, Maas is ready to get to work.

"I think Ricky coming back was pretty much expected in recent weeks, so I'm not surprised by it." Maas told TSN. "It's great for the Eskimos and, as far as my situation, I plan on being here for at least this year, and look forward to competing hard with Ricky as we have done in the past."

The Toronto Star speculated in Monday's edition that Maas could be destined for the Argonauts should the Eskimos re-sign Ray.

Source

Eskimos sign Ricky Ray

The Edmonton Eskimos have signed free agent quarterback Ricky Ray, returning the 25 year-old to the site of his greatest professional success.

The star of the Edmonton Eskimos' 2003 Grey Cup championship, Ray was released by the National Football League's New York Jets last week.

"I am excited to be back in Edmonton," Ray said in a statement Monday. "I've missed the city and the fans and I know I've come back to a great team."

Ray enjoyed phenomenal success with the Eskimos in 2003, completing 67.6% of his passes for 4,640 yards and 35 touchdowns and now joins incumbent starter Jason Maas on the quarterback depth chart.

"To say I'm thrilled to have Ricky back would be an understatement," Eskimos head coach Danny Macioica said. "He's young, intelligent and poised under pressure."

For his part, Maas is ready to get to work.

"I think Ricky coming back was pretty much expected in recent weeks, so I'm not surprised by it." Maas told TSN. "It's great for the Eskimos and, as far as my situation, I plan on being here for at least this year, and look forward to competing hard with Ricky as we have done in the past."

The Toronto Star speculated in Monday's edition that Maas could be destined for the Argonauts should the Eskimos re-sign Ray.

Source

585928136[/snapback]

I've never heard of Ricky Ray...but I'm not much of a J-E-T-S fan either :)