XPMCE2005 Install Repair-wont find files are there

Hey guys,

I cant find anyhelp on this on google on ms support or neowin!

Here goes!...

My PC messed up and I tried to repair XPMCE2005 and half way through the installation after entering my product key install messes up!

It says it cant find icwconn1.ex_ (/icwconn1.exe it asks for either) it asks for the location and I click browse, opens a browse window with d:\i386 open listing the icwconn1.exe file! so i select it and click ok, again says it cant find it! Basically it will not copy any of the internet connection wizard or a few icons (phone.ic_ / msn.ic_). Ive cancelled the files so that the install completes but my pc gets stuck in an infinate reboot loop!

CD is clean (its new!)

Tried copyin folder to HD still cant find the file

I even tried removing the icwconn1 files thinking it could be a security/permission issue.

Tried everything.

Run install loads of times! Run chkdsk, hd fine (its BRAND new!)

Im pulling out my hair!

I found some advice saying it could be my RAM, but its corsair and i checked it with the dos memory scanner (Took hours!) and it says there are no errors.

Its driving me mad all i want is my pc bootin so i can sort out my files!

HELP!!

:)

RJ

The only time I've ever had a problem similar to this was with a FUBAR'd install of Windows XP. Like you said, installs half way and then messes up.

It was, unfortuantly, a RAM issue. DOS scanners are only so-so, if you have two or more sticks of RAM, remove all but one and try installing. If all goes well, remove that one and place another in, and see how the computer performs with that one. If you have a bad stick of RAM, running your computer with just it will definatly show some results.

TYT

The only time I've ever had a problem similar to this was with a FUBAR'd install of Windows XP.  Like you said, installs half way and then messes up.

It was, unfortuantly, a RAM issue.  DOS scanners are only so-so, if you have two or more sticks of RAM, remove all but one and try installing.  If all goes well, remove that one and place another in, and see how the computer performs with that one.  If you have a bad stick of RAM, running your computer with just it will definatly show some results.

TYT

585929651[/snapback]

Will try that..

I Bought Corsair RAM because of quality tis a pain, I hope they send me new ram as its guaranteed.

Will tell you what happens...

rj

Will try that..

I Bought Corsair RAM because of quality tis a pain, I hope they send me new ram as its guaranteed.

Will tell you what happens...

rj

585932300[/snapback]

Nope does the same with BOTH sticks of RAM, and a stick i borrowed from another PC. So its not the RAM.

I cloned the HD onto another one and tried a 'clean' install of XP instead of repair and it installed fine, but i LOST everything!

There must be something I can do.

There must be a file on the HD or something that is preventing the icwconn1.ex_ and the other files from installing.

HELP! (again!)

anyone got any ideas!

RJ