Zen Micro 5G Review

Hey all. I bought a Zen Micro and now that I had just enough time to write a review about it, here it is :D

Is it worthy of it's price tag?

Well, it depends where you get it from. But at $299 Canadian? It's a tight deal. Cheaper then it's iRiver and iPod rivals. $299 is pretty average for a harddrive MP3 player but I've seen some 4G players for $360 and up.

Features... mmhmm...

MP3 Playback (of course :p) with Hitachi 5G harddrive

Tight FM Radio, 32 presets (good quality, depending on the headphones you use*)

FM Recording

Voice Recording (4bit mono WAV, better quality then most casette recorders out there)

Charges over USB and transfers with USB2 (lack of Firewire)

Can't use Windows Explorer unless you have PlaysForSure firmware (upgradable)

Cool backlight (that's a major plus!)

Battery lasts up to 8 hours with good care (pretty good)

Alright alright, let's get to it. It's worth the price and it beats the crap outta the iPod mini!

Price/Value: 8.5/10

Ease of use

That's a definite 9/10. Unless you have a broken finger or parkinson's disease, the touch pad is an awesome addition. Menus are editable and pretty easy to understand.

Ease of use: 9/10

Sound quality

Amazing! Even though the stock earbuds are... big. You may like them or not. I removed the little grey pads to make 'em smaller. The quality of the earbuds isn't that nice either but that's always up for a 'fix'. (Get some sony headphones to compensate)

Sound: 9.5/10

Earbuds: 7/10

Appearance

Huge wow! And not only the "wow effect", it's just "wow". The Creative Zen Micro is awesome! You'll love it's curves and little details... The backlight is amazingly bright, it's just beautiful. If you don't like the backlight, you can turn it off (it turns itself off after being idle 5 seconds).

I guess you'll need some pics too right?

(don't mind the quality, you get the idea)

post-55871-1116459342.jpg

Picture%204.jpg

Picture%205.jpg

Picture%206.jpg

Picture%207.jpg

Picture%208.jpg

Picture%209.jpg

Picture%2013.jpg

(thats the box)

Picture%2012.jpg

Picture%2011.jpg

(what's that bright light???)

Picture%2010.jpg

Overall score: Who gives a damn! I give it a 8/10 but trust me, you'll love it!

Thanks ;)

* FM radio uses headphones as antenna

Edited by AresXP

8 hour battery life? .... it's a 12 hour battery life, unless you have the equalizer or smart volume enabled.

585941844[/snapback]

Mhmm it's pretty hard to squeeze 8 hours out of it. It only ADVERTISES 12 hours but it won't last more then 8 hours... Btw a mod can move this

Hopefully you do not get the dreaded headphone jack problem... Which i havent encountered for 3 weeks already... Apart from that, a brilliant mp3 player :)

NIce review (Y)

Also, on the battery life, i can get around 11 hours out of it no problem.

Just ordered a 5GB silver one today. Exciting! :)

585945877[/snapback]

Good show! I'm sure you'll love it NetRyder :cool:

Don't forget to rate this thread people :unsure:

Yeah, I can't wait! Should be here in about a week. :)

585949935[/snapback]

Where did you order it from anyways? A week sounds a bit long don't it?

Ordered it from Buy.com. Got a good deal. :)

Free shipping, so I suppose 10 days isn't too bad. It's taken around the same amount of time when I've ordered stuff with free shipping from Amazon before.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the zen micro is pretty awesome. My only complaint would be the touch panel controls (too easy to accidentally hit, too clumsy and sensitive for navigation at times. Although maybe I'm just not used to it yet...). I love the sound quality, and for me 5 GB for music is more than enough for now. I don't see my music collection getting over 5 GB anytime soon.

The updated firmware is what I love about the Micro. I can skip the crappy Creative software and use Windows Explorer to load my songs.