• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Optical Audio Inputs

jadkins555    0

My receiver has 2 coaxial audio inputs and 1 optical audio input. Currently they are all being used. I need to hook up the PS2 (or the upcoming Revolution) through the optical input, but as I said before, there is only one.

Is there a way to combine cables into that one input on the receiver through a third party device?

jadkins555    0

My only problem with that is that you have to manually switch the connection. Is there any way to make it automatically detect which input to use?

bangbang023    31

I haven't seen any that allow that. I don't see how it would be that big of an issue to manually switch it. Just place it near your consoles so when you power them on, you can reach over and flip the switch too.

Galley    1

There are automatic switchers on the market but they are several hundred dollars. You'd be better off getting a new receiver.

bangbang023    31
There are automatic switchers on the market but they are several hundred dollars.  You'd be better off getting a new receiver.

585943723[/snapback]

I guess I should have mentioned I have't seen any cheap ones. If you want one that is automatic and don't care about money, you can find them for about $400 US or so.

ROM3000    0

On the topic of coaxial and optical cables, which cable will give you a better audio experience?

bangbang023    31
On the topic of coaxial and optical cables, which cable will give you a better audio experience?

585953994[/snapback]

Technically, optical should give you slightly better sound, but you would need really high end speakers and really good ears to hear the difference. One advantage optical has, though, is that it is not suceptible to interference from nearby wires or anything since it is light and not signals traveling through copper.

ROM3000    0

Thanks for the quick reply.