divX file plays in WMP6.4 but not in WMP8 what gives?

Question

anybody else having these problems?

Most recently I downloaded a bunch of episodes of The Tick, All of which played fine in WMP8 after getting the Divx 3.11 codec, except for episode 106 tick vs el seed. This prompted the download of AVI info to try and figure out what codec I needed

www.divx-digest.com/software/terabits_avi_info.html -1.2a

www.divx.com/download/downloadlist.php?typeid=7 - older version

While I was just hoping to get info on the problematic .avi, this AVI Info app, launched an AVI viewer which was apparently an instance of WMP 6.4, which played the AVI perfectly. So I have an AVI that plays in WMP 6.4 but NOT with WMP8. Perhaps poorly encoded, perhaps you get what you pay for with this DivX stuff, but why on earth would it work with WMP 6.4 and not with WMP8.

at some point in all this, I installed the 4.02 divx codec, but the results were the same. WMP 6.4 played the file, WMP8 could not.

Afterward I confirmed this again I dropped the problematic AVI on WMP8, and got some static (sorta like the buzzer at the beginning) really just ocassional static, and the visualization scheme instead of the video.

I then independently from AVI info, ran mplayer2.exe (I.E. WMP 6.4) and it played the file flawlessly..

So again I ask what gives? anybody else experiencing this? Please respond..

-Ethan

5 answers to this question

yeah, I'm having the same prob with Office Space that I got from a friend. I didn't try wmp6.4 I just used BSPlayer cuz it works better and faster anyway. I'm running with dix 4.02 and I'm too lazy to install other versions.

If ur interested u can get BSPlayer from divx-digest.com

yeh I got "tha playa" that came with the 4.02 codec from there. That seems like a good solution. WMP8 frills aren't needed for playing divx files, that is for sure.

-etan4u

Exact same situation here.

I have both halves of american pie2. Using WMP8, the first file plays just audio with "popping" sounds. The second file plays just fine. Both files play fine on WMP 6.4 though. I have the 3.11 and 4.02 codecs installed.

Doesn't bother me but just thought i'd let you know.

yeh I guess WMP8 isn't quite the most perfect app.. (understatement)

-perhaps they will see this thread and fix it.. perhaps not.. regardless we shall survive with all the other players..

thanks for the response.